How loyal is the fan base?

2006 was an average year for the Bills. They proved they could be competitive, yet clearly not a dominating team, or a team capable of making a trip to the Super Bowl. If the front office is not interested in retaining key free-agents, or adding players to make the team better, can we draw a conclusion that the Super Bowl will not happen in the next year, or two, or even more?

Every season starts with the goal and aspiration to be Super Bowl champs. If you know your team cannot make it, do you get as excited and pumped up as when you believe the team has a chance? That being said, is it any wonder that they had a hard time selling out games in 2006? Why would someone, who is not a die-hard Bills fan, attend a Bills game? Early on in 2006, when it looked like the Bills were mathematically eliminated, I think some people decided not to buy tickets to the games because the team had no post-season hopes. (I have season tickets so do not criticize me. But you have to admit that it is human nature to support a winning team.)

What are they giving the fans to look forward to? In 2006, at least we could watch a young quarterback develop in front of us. But, 2006 was the year to see if Losman was our quarterback. Fans will not tolerate nothing more than a science experiment in 2007-- this team needs to start winning! Losman definitely needs some upgrades around him if that is to happen. And the defense is taking a couple of hits this year with the apparant departure of three free agents.

I think their cash-to-cap approach is too cheap for this league and will not result in a competitive team that can take down the dominant teams. Translation, even if they make the playoffs, it's a first round out. I think next year's ticket sales will again be disappointing, resulting in more involvement by Schumer and revenue-sharing criticism by Ralph. And at some point, some media yahoo is going to question the desire of the fans to keep a team in Buffalo. I will say now, don't blame the fans or the fan base. It lies with the conscious decision and announcement by management not to take this team to the next level.

2006 was an average year for the Bills. They proved they could be competitive, yet clearly not a dominating team, or a team capable of making a trip to the Super Bowl. If the front office is not interested in retaining key free-agents, or adding players to make the team better, can we draw a conclusion that the Super Bowl will not happen in the next year, or two, or even more?

Every season starts with the goal and aspiration to be Super Bowl champs. If you know your team cannot make it, do you get as excited and pumped up as when you believe the team has a chance? That being said, is it any wonder that they had a hard time selling out games in 2006? Why would someone, who is not a die-hard Bills fan, attend a Bills game? Early on in 2006, when it looked like the Bills were mathematically eliminated, I think some people decided not to buy tickets to the games because the team had no post-season hopes. (I have season tickets so do not criticize me. But you have to admit that it is human nature to support a winning team.)

What are they giving the fans to look forward to? In 2006, at least we could watch a young quarterback develop in front of us. But, 2006 was the year to see if Losman was our quarterback. Fans will not tolerate nothing more than a science experiment in 2007-- this team needs to start winning! Losman definitely needs some upgrades around him if that is to happen. And the defense is taking a couple of hits this year with the apparant departure of three free agents.

I think their cash-to-cap approach is too cheap for this league and will not result in a competitive team that can take down the dominant teams. Translation, even if they make the playoffs, it's a first round out. I think next year's ticket sales will again be disappointing, resulting in more involvement by Schumer and revenue-sharing criticism by Ralph. And at some point, some media yahoo is going to question the desire of the fans to keep a team in Buffalo. I will say now, don't blame the fans or the fan base. It lies with the conscious decision and announcement by management not to take this team to the next level.

I'm looking forward to the RB that Marv assured us is arriving on draft day.

Ill bet dinner that the Sabres have a NHL record on season ticket sales AND sell out EVERY game next season

The fans of the Buffalo Bills are not buying Mr. Wilsons 100 year plan....

The total amount of seats that were empty for the Bills four non-sellouts this year was less than the amount of seats for one Sabres game. The ONLY reason the Sabres sold out every game this year is because they have one of the top 2-3 teams in the league, and they haven't been good for awhile. I will bet anyone here $100 right now that there will not be more than one non-sellout this year for the Bills, unless something catastrophic happens like JP and Evans and Peters and three other players get season ending injuries and they lose every game.

The total amount of seats that were empty for the Bills four non-sellouts this year was less than the amount of seats for one Sabres game. The ONLY reason the Sabres sold out every game this year is because they have one of the top 2-3 teams in the league, and they haven't been good for awhile. I will bet anyone here $100 right now that there will not be more than one non-sellout this year for the Bills, unless something catastrophic happens like JP and Evans and Peters and three other players get season ending injuries and they lose every game.

You are on!

I'll take that action!

:worthy:

You are on!

I'll take that action!

Great. Find someone here you trust, anyone that has been here a long time, and we will both send him or her a $100 check to hold right now. I'm saying that there will be one or less non-sellouts this coming year 2007. You are saying there will be two or more. Not TV blackouts, sellouts by game time. Unless some catastrophe happens like I said, where the season is over before October, and everyone here can decide that, not me.

Great. Find someone here you trust, anyone that has been here a long time, and we will both send him or her a $100 check to hold right now. I'm saying that there will be one or less non-sellouts this coming year 2007. You are saying there will be two or more. Not TV blackouts, sellouts by game time. Unless some catastrophe happens like I said, where the season is over before October, and everyone here can decide that, not me.

Your post gives me an idea. Why don't we all send $100 to someone, say Ralph Wilson, and tell him to buy us a better $*&^ing team!

Ill bet dinner that the Sabres have a NHL record on season ticket sales AND sell out EVERY game next season

Contrary to their self professed greatness, many Bills fans are snivelling whiners who would rather bad mouth the team than buy tickets and actually attend the games.

So your point is the city of Buffalo can sell out 16k seat arenas easier than it can 75k stadiums?

I think their cash-to-cap approach is too cheap for this league and will not result in a competitive team that can take down the dominant teams.

On the flip side of this argument is the New York Yankees and Washington Redskins. Spending more than the other guy does not equate to winning and championships.

On the flip side of this argument is the New York Yankees and Washington Redskins. Spending more than the other guy does not equate to winning and championships.

The Yankees are a bad example. Nobody ever claimed that spending money automatically buys a championship (as your team has to still play games) but if the money is spent well it gives you a decided advantage. The Yankees are in the hunt for the championship year in and year out. that's all you can expect.

I'd like to say that comparing the NFL to an NHL, MLB, or English Premier League team for that matter shouldn't carry weight. The NFL is the only league where teams share the multi-billion dollar tv deal the league has with the networks. It's safe to say Ralph will be getting something in the neighborhood of 105M this year. Which small markets in the aforementioned leagues get that? None of them.

Spending doesn't equal titles. But when I looked at what Indy had to spend for 07 as of right now, I believe the figure is 200K. Spending wisely might not equal titles, but it sure goes a long way to being successful.

All we'd like to see is the playoffs in Buffalo for the Bills. Sabres fans are seeing that, why can't Bills fans if money is spent right.

I totally agree!

I started a topic on this very subject (in a shorter version) not seeing this post.

I will still stay around, because I realise that it takes time to build a successful team, and marv can't be held accountable for what was done before him, so he is on year 2 of a rebuilding plan. Sure they haven't been to the playoffs in about a decade, but you can't hold that against a GM who has only been here 1 full season. So far he has built a pretty solid foundation to start with, and from his comments yesterday, he knows what he needs to continue to build a wining team. No this team probably won't be in the SB next year, and they may not make the playoffs either, but as long as I see improvement in the process of the team, I will continue to follow them and cheer for them. I'd rather have a team build to compete for years (like NE) then a team thats built just to win now.

Unfortuantly most fans want instant gratification and the team to win NOW.

As for the Sabres, this is the first year they have sold out the Arena all year in a long time (if ever). They would have never done this if they did not come within a couple injuries of making (and winning the cup. Wheres everyone complaining about TG not getting Regier to sign a ton of Big name FA's? Most fans are content letting the heart and sole of this team walk in the offseason (Briere or Drury) because they feel that they have someone in the minors ready to come up and take their place and don't want to overspend on players, yet when it comes to the Bills its all about getting a big name FA and Spending every dime. The Sabres are a gereat example of what building a young team witha solid core can do to keep you successful for more then a year or 2.

Unfortuantly most fans want instant gratification and the team to win NOW.

As for the Sabres, this is the first year they have sold out the Arena all year in a long time (if ever). They would have never done this if they did not come within a couple injuries of making (and winning the cup. Wheres everyone complaining about TG not getting Regier to sign a ton of Big name FA's? Most fans are content letting the heart and sole of this team walk in the offseason (Briere or Drury) because they feel that they have someone in the minors ready to come up and take their place and don't want to overspend on players, yet when it comes to the Bills its all about getting a big name FA and Spending every dime. The Sabres are a gereat example of what building a young team witha solid core can do to keep you successful for more then a year or 2.

I agree with a couple of the earlier posts that point out you cannot compare the NFL to other leagues. But, if you want to compare the Bills to the Sabres, you're way off base. First of all, the Sabres spent to the cap for this season. In fact, they cannot pick up a free agent now because they would go over cap-- it must be a trade to free up some cap.

As close as the Sabres were last year, they were not complacent with coasting into this season. They picked up Spacek for help on defense. That's all I am asking for from the Bills. The Bills need help, so spend the money to add depth and improve. Way too much cash to sit on your hands.

Finally, to say that Sabres fans do not care about Drury and Briere is crazy. Many Sabres fans want those two re-signed, partly because of leadership. Now look at the Bills... London Fletcher will probably not return, and now I'm hearing things don't look good for Spikes. Who is the heart-and-soul of that defense? Schobel might have some skills but aside from sacking the QB, he lacks what Spikes and London offered.