Schumer's request

diver

"If the Bills can play teams like these late in the season, we will better set the stage for them to ensure sell out crowds and prevent blackouts."

Be careful what you wish for. Loading up on harder teams at the end of the season instead of spread out of the whole season may hurt teams chances of wins when needed the most to get into the playoffs.

I can appreciate Shumers interest in keeping the Bills here, but considering how F***ed up New York State is, I would think there are things higher on the pecking order than this.

Now wonder this state is a joke.

WHEN THINGS DON'T CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, DON'T RE-ELECT POLITICIANS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. :P

Mr. Schumer: What puts butts in seats is having a contender. Having a contender means you have to have a good team and a few good breaks. A few good breaks next year would include getting every team with a new coaching staff EARLY in the season, not late when the players have finally picked things up (see Bills '06).

E.G. We want the Steelers early. We want the Cowboys early. While you're in your talks, write that on a napkin and put in in Goodell's breast pocket.

I like football as well as the next guy...but if this is what our Senator is worried about given the problems this country faces, I really shudder for us.

A Communist politician sprinting to get in front of a parade? Whatta surprise... :P

In other news, Air America child Al Franken has tossed his snot into the MN Senate race. Already called Coleman a "butt boy". :lol:

I can appreciate Shumers interest in keeping the Bills here, but considering how F***ed up New York State is, I would think there are things higher on the pecking order than this.

Now wonder this state is a joke.

WHEN THINGS DON'T CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, DON'T RE-ELECT POLITICIANS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. :P

I don't like Schumer anymore than the next guy, but the Bills staying in Buffalo is vital to Western New York's economy. Do you have any idea how much money and attention an NFL team brings to its home region? This has to be high on every NYS politician's agenda. I had breakfast with Congressman Tom Reynolds last week, and he too understands the importance of the team to not just the fans but to every businessman in the state.

A Communist politician sprinting to get in front of a parade? Whatta surprise... :lol:

In other news, Air America child Al Franken has tossed his snot into the MN Senate race. Already called Coleman a "butt boy". :lol:

Geez...just when you think its safe to go back in the water!

Hitler invades Poland again!

Remove back to the nazi board! :P

More liberal garbage. Yes, the government is the answer to all of the world's problems. Even the Bills not selling out. :P

Wow, what amazingly simple way of seeing things...and getting to toss in a dose of hate with it!

You really think this has anything to do with Schumer being a liberal? To me, he is doing one of the things he has been elected to do, which is to serve the interests of the people he represents. Sure, there are much bigger problems facing WNY, NY State, and the world, but this is just one of them.

If the Bills were to leave Buffalo, I can't wait to hear people like you blame it on the "corrupt, liberal, incompetant politicians" that the "morons" keep electing.

I am amazed that any Bills fan is so appalled by Schumer taking up this cause. But, this place never ceases to amaze....

"If the Bills can play teams like these late in the season, we will better set the stage for them to ensure sell out crowds and prevent blackouts."

Be careful what you wish for. Loading up on harder teams at the end of the season instead of spread out of the whole season may hurt teams chances of wins when needed the most to get into the playoffs.

Without seeing what he said, I'm assuming "teams like these" refers to big draws, i.e. the Cowboys and Giants, which is not the same thing as the harder teams.

http://www.9wsyr.com/sports/story.aspx?con...7c-219ee222342b

Yeah, that's what he meant. San Diego, for example, would not be a "big draw"

Do you have any idea how much money and attention an NFL team brings to its home region?

No, I don't have any idea how much money this brings to the area...enlighten me? How much money does the county dole out to the Bills every year? Ask your breakfast buddy Reynolds these questions and then get back to me. As far as the amount of attention an NFL team brings to an area...who gives a s-h-i-t.

More liberal garbage. Yes, the government is the answer to all of the world's problems. Even the Bills not selling out. :worthy:

So an elected official who has some power actually stands up for his constituents regarding an issues they are actually concerned with and he is a liberal douche bag who should be worrying about bigger problems. Interesting.

So an elected official who has some power actually stands up for his constituents regarding an issues they are actually concerned with and he is a liberal douche bag who should be worrying about bigger problems. Interesting.

no economy, no jobs, no bills

start at the top chuck or get out of line

Let's bring flex-scheduling to the next level then.....

Announce the schedule like they always do in April.

Then by mid-May announce that since certain games late in the season have not sold out, those games will be swapped with the early season games that are sold out.

This will be referred to as "Extreme Flex Scheduling to the Max!!!" by ESPN.

Wow, what amazingly simple way of seeing things...and getting to toss in a dose of hate with it!

I am amazed that any Bills fan is so appalled by Schumer taking up this cause. But, this place never ceases to amaze....

No hate intended. It's just silly for a politician (of any party) to comment on or try to influence an NFL team's schedule. And to blame the schedule for a team's failure to sell out is RIDICULOUS. Try looking at it from the perspective of an outsider. Imagine if we heard Senator John Cornyn of Texas (a Republican) complaining that the NFL's schedule makers were the cause of the Texans or Cowboys not selling out. We would think their claims were ridiculous, and they would be. We would immediately target the fans themselves as the reason for their failures to sell out. Is Schumer's idea any less ridiculous because our beloved Bills are the subject here?

Schumer's rant is dangerous because his pedagogy (look it up if you need to) perpetuates a victim mentality. The idea that the "victims" here (poor downtrodden Bills fans) can be saved by the government (insisting on a more favorable schedule) is an easy way for Schumer to play to Bills' fans sense of inferiority and that they are taken advantage of by a vast NFL conspiracy. Schumer's concept is easy medicine to take because it relieves individual fans of any responsibility and places it on the big bad NFL.

PS - Even Marv has stated that the best way to ensure sellouts is to put a good product on the field.

No, I don't have any idea how much money this brings to the area...enlighten me? How much money does the county dole out to the Bills every year? Ask your breakfast buddy Reynolds these questions and then get back to me. As far as the amount of attention an NFL team brings to an area...who gives a s-h-i-t.

The estimated direct economic impact for the 2006 season, taking in account the funds from the government, exceeds $50 million. Yes, that isn't that large of a number when one considers Syracuse University directly brings in nearly three times that number to Central NY, but a university is operational year-round. The Bills employ more than 500 annually. What do you think Buffalo's national visibility would be like without the Bills or Sabers? It is safe to say IMHO that it would be nearly non-existent. National image really does make a difference when it comes to attracting new businesses, tourists, etc. There are also scientific studies that were completed that show that having an NFL team in one's city has a tremendously positive mental impact on the region's residents. I don't know how much of that I buy, but I am just reporting the study's results.

So what do you think Schumer, Clinton, Reynolds, etc. should be doing, if anything, when it comes to protecting the Bills?

So what do you think Schumer, Clinton, Reynolds, etc. should be doing, if anything, when it comes to protecting the Bills?

They can get involved to a certain extent(if things get a lot worse than they are now), but for a US Senator to be pleading that the Bills schedule should be arranged so that they don't have as many blackouts is a joke.

If Bills fans can't sellout the stadium without the help of a favorable home schedule, than the games are not on TV. Simple as that. This is such a big deal that Schumer needs to come to the rescue? Once again, I would like to believe that there are more important issues on his plate.

You quote a lot of estimates, studies and so forth regarding the Bills in Buffalo, but I'm sure there are plenty of cities(the size of Buffalo) throughout the US that are thriving without a NFL football team. Don't get me wrong, I'm a lifelong WNY'er who doesn't want to see them leave, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they did. That being said, Ralph's posturing is getting old and I'm not sure how much of it, is a case of "the boy who cried wolf", but this is why Schumer is getting all riled up?

The Bills are not moving and Schumer(like every other political hack) is just looking to get his name in the media without accomplishing much of anything.