Worst Logic in a Mock Draft

Astrobot

Levi Brown will probably go in the 10-20 pick range and will probably be a very good offensive tackle. I just don't see us drafting an offensive tackle of all things with our first pick. Assuming Branch and Okoye (DT's) are gone I'd either go for Justin Blaylock or trade down. I like Aaron Sears, an OT who has played Gaurd in the second round. Levi Brown is a legit first round pick...just doesn't fit into our needs. Puzzling why someone would think we would pick him.

It would have been more accurate to say the Bills under Levy had success with o-lineman early. Brown, Wolford and Fina were first round draft picks during the Levy regime. Richter was also a first round pick. Drafted before Levy was in Buffalo, but was a big part of the turn around in the late 80's. So it isn't so far fetched an idea that Marv would go after a lineman early.

Lies! all lies! i have been told numerous times on this exact website that Marv levy ONLY drafts DB's in round 1!

Levi Brown is a legit first round pick...just doesn't fit into our needs. Puzzling why someone would think we would pick him.

Well, if he CAN play, the Buffalo Bills would be a football team with 2 legit OTs for the first time since Wolford/Ballard. During these years, they had a very good pair of DTs (Big Ted and Pat W.). They had a very good pair of corners (Winfield and Nate). The Wade Phillips defenses were as good as it gets, but the team had no offensive push, something that is still lacking.

I watch Pennington as much as I can. He looks good at some times and clumsy at other times, just what you would expect from a 7th round rookie. He also gets a lot of help. That said, I have no idea how he will turn out, and getting an OT who they think would be a star could only make perfect sense.

Btw, I have not seen enough of Brown to form an opinion.

The Buffalo has had great success with o-linmen recently is a puzzling claim, but honestly I think you could do a lot worse than Levi Brown at #12. Switch Peters back to RT and if Levi is ready as a rookie the Bills would have great tackles. Maybe the pick could be used at a different position, but i wouldn't be pulling my hair out if the Bills picked Levi.

You wouldn't switch Peters back. His best asset is his lateral agility which suits him best to play on the open side with no tight end coverage. One would want to put Brown at RT on team that included he and Peters.

You wouldn't switch Peters back. His best asset is his lateral agility which suits him best to play on the open side with no tight end coverage. One would want to put Brown at RT on team that included he and Peters.

Good enough. I just assummed Levi was a LT. If Levi isn't flexible enough to play RT then may be its a bad pick. I just figured a tandem of Levi and peters would be good no matter who played Right or Left Tackle.

Good enough. I just assummed Levi was a LT. If Levi isn't flexible enough to play RT then may be its a bad pick. I just figured a tandem of Levi and peters would be good no matter who played Right or Left Tackle.

I'll sign up for that.

The point is- Peters fits the left tackle position better because of his flexibility.

Brown would and will make a hell of a right tackle for a team that doesn't have to put him on the left side.(like Buffalo)

as much as i want/hope/think we go defense in the 1st round, if we picked an OL i wouldnt be upset.

[/quote

If you look at our teams biggest holes if we don't resign our current free agents they are:

1. CB position(Clements spot)

2. MLB

3. DT

4. OG(Gandy)

5. OG(Preston)

6. OT(Pennington)

Depending on how we address these holes/weaknesses in free agency before the draft-

I don't see how taking a lineman of Browns caliber would be out of the question and agree if he is the best "value" at that pick I wouldn't be upset if we picked him either.

If you look at our teams biggest holes if we don't resign our current free agents they are:

1. CB position(Clements spot)

2. MLB

3. DT

4. OG(Gandy)

5. OG(Preston)

6. OT(Pennington)

Depending on how we address these holes/weaknesses in free agency before the draft-

I don't see how taking a lineman of Browns caliber would be out of the question and agree if he is the best "value" at that pick I wouldn't be upset if we picked him either.

We also have a urgent need for a RB and/or FB with McGahee in the last year of his contract, Thomas not under contract any more, Shaud still too small and not playing last year, and Shelton a dud for the second year in a row.

My top concerns are:

MLB - This is the biggest hole on our roster if Fletcher leaves, if you ask me.

OG - I'd like to keep Gandy and sign another interior lineman. This is urgent until we find someone.

RB - hello? is anyone out there? echo... echo...

CB - hopeful K. Thomas re-sign (Kiwaukee, not Kevin); let Nate walk and spend elsewhere

DT - Maybe we can re-sign Anderson (kidding)

DE - Freeney and Schoebel swapping who lines up on the L/R would sure make the loss of Nate less painful, wouldn't it? Denney makes this a lower priority than DT.

FB - I'll scream if we sign Shelton to a multi-year deal

I still think Pennington did a decent job and got better as time went on. Although id love to see someone come in and challenge Pennington for the RT spot. But I do think Pennington will be even better in 2007......

An offensive tackle is not really a desperate need for the Bills right now

McNally is very high on Brad Butler competing with Pennington, or moving into RG--read this:

Butler Could Make Impressive Jump

also, great comment, Steve O: Levi did quite well drafting linemen. I don't think it'll be Levi at OT, tho'...

What makes you say that? Just curious.

When stating CB is our biggest need it is with the understanding that we will be losing BOTH Clements and Thomas. It's also with the understanding that a nickle back(Thomas) basically plays starter type minutes many games.

The best case scenario would be that Youboty can start next year for us. It would be nice to just have the luxury of slotting him in at nickle back.

That being said- I do not want to spend the 12th pick in the first round on a CB.(Because their doesn't appear to be value there then). A veteran makes sense because the rest of the secondary is pretty young.

The next position I mentioned was DT. As of now we have Williams and Triplett. With McCargo coming back that position is already being reinforced with a number one pick from last year. The combined Clements/Thomas has just Youboty waiting in the wings. Of course I have stated on the boards that I would like to draft Okoye to add to this rotation at tackle.

Ultimately- I think the Bills will sign a free agent cb, dt and og in free agency before the draft.

I didn't mention lb...because i don't know their willingness to move Crowell inside and whether they think Ellison can be slotted in as a long term starter.

So if I'm understanding your thoughts correctly, you believe we could fill the cornerback position with a decent (yet not spectacular) free agent. There are plenty of veteran, mid-level free agent cornerbacks out there this year, even some with cover 2 experience. So what we have here is a spot we can fill with any one of a bunch of different options, most of which won't cost us much of our resources. With that in mind, how does CB rise to the number one spot on a list of our "biggest holes"? I would think its actually a relatively small hole.

And then you add Ashton Youboty into the equation as well.

So if I'm understanding your thoughts correctly, you believe we could fill the cornerback position with a decent (yet not spectacular) free agent. There are plenty of veteran, mid-level free agent cornerbacks out there this year, even some with cover 2 experience. So what we have here is a spot we can fill with any one of a bunch of different options, most of which won't cost us much of our resources. With that in mind, how does CB rise to the number one spot on a list of our "biggest holes"? I would think its actually a relatively small hole.

And then you add Ashton Youboty into the equation as well.

I don't see why it is confusing for you to understand that we can fill our hole at cb with a free agent signing?

With our roster as it stands without Clements and Thomas- who do you see taking their spots?

Also- why do you think it's such a small hole?

Fewell himself has stated that the loss of Clements would be the most "devastating"of our possible free-agent losses.

What do you know that our defensive coordinator doesn't know and where did you come upon that knowledge?

to sorta contradict my earlier post, i can see what bflodan means when he says if we lose both Clements and Thomas our biggest need is CB. even if there are plenty of cheap replacements that will get the job done, that doesnt mean its NOT our biggest need. if both of them are gone, theres no way we can start the season without getting some CB help, whereas its POSSIBLE for us to go into the season without doing anything about the DTs...

to sorta contradict my earlier post, i can see what bflodan means when he says if we lose both Clements and Thomas our biggest need is CB. even if there are plenty of cheap replacements that will get the job done, that doesnt mean its NOT our biggest need. if both of them are gone, theres no way we can start the season without getting some CB help, whereas its POSSIBLE for us to go into the season without doing anything about the DTs...

Right, but to get sorta petty and technical, he didn't say "biggest need," he said "biggest hole". In my mind those are two different things. Cornerback is a big need because, as you said, we pretty much HAVE TO acquire a CB at some point. But I wouldn't call it a huge hole, because its a need that I think we can fill with any one of many stop-gap free agent corners out there. I'd say our biggest hole would have to be either OG, a DT to replace Tim Anderson, or DE if/when Kelsay leaves.

And bflodan, I don't know how much stock I'd put into that particular comment from Fewell. It feels look coach speak, IMO. Fletcher would be a far more "devastating" loss than Clements, because we'd have to start all over again with someone new in the most mentally challenging position on the defense. We'd also lose valuable leadership, something Clements certainly doesn't offer.