Who will be the Chargers' next coach?

Albany,n.y.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really boggles my mind that AJ waited this long to do this. He let both his coordinators walk before pulling the trigger. He let all the other teams find their new coaches first. AJ must already have an idea who he wants. And he must have been sure his pick wouldn't be hired by another team.

It's not so mind-boggling if you believe your last statement. Think about it....it's no secret that AJ Smith & Marty weren't the best of friends. As his assistants are getting jobs elsewhere, Smith figures the time is now to bring in his guy....who he must have ready pretty quickly, if not someone in mind. The fact that no other HC jobs are open is just a coincidence and the most dysfunctional part of it all is that Spanos gave Marty a vote of confidence after the playoff loss (that just tells me Spanos and Smith aren't quite on the same page).

All AJ needs to do now is get a coach with experience. This isn't the place for a guy looking for his first HC gig - they have the talent in place and can easily win right now, so there's no point in wasting it on a guy learning to be a HC. There's no way Pete Carroll should take the job - he's got it good at USC and would be deemed a failure if he didn't get to the Superbowl. Guys like Cowher & Parcells shouldn't take the job....they'd want too much power and AJ Smith isn't willing to give it up.

I think the best guy for this is Jim Fassel. Despite his off-field issues (whatever they are), he's a good offensive coach, a very stand-up guy that takes accountability and responsibility for his actions, and doesn't demand too much involvement. He'd be taking over an offense with a ton of weapons and leave the defense to a coordinator he can help hand-pick. While he had two disappointing playoff losses with the Giants, he did bring a team to the Superbowl and handled the media of New York City. San Diego would be a cakewalk compared to that. The only downside would be the expectations to win right away.

Baltimore Ravens DC Rex Ryan

I agree...That team is built for a 3-4 defense....a HC has to be a believer in the system he runs....

One issue with Mariucci...He runs a complete WCO.....THe chargers offense is anything but WCO.....and they are primed to win now....not learn a new system....

It really boggles my mind that AJ waited this long to do this. He let both his coordinators walk before pulling the trigger. He let all the other teams find their new coaches first. AJ must already have an idea who he wants. And he must have been sure his pick wouldn't be hired by another team.

It could mean he didn't want Wade Phillips (or Cam Cameron), who, just like in 1998, was the "obvious" choice. So. instead of firing Marty & getting stuck with Wade, like his mentor John Butler did, he figured one more year with Marty was better than three years with Wade. Once Wade left, there was nothing blocking AJ from choosing the guy he really wants. If it is Ted Cottrell, who a reporter from SD predicted to Mike Francessa would be the one by Friday(I caught this last night on YES around 11 pm last night) he doesn't even have to have a parade of candidates come in, he can hire him ASAP.

It will be Pete Carroll and AJ will be fired, ala Bill Polian.

Although he likes to win, Spanos is sick of the "dysfunction".

Time to clean house.

It could mean he didn't want Wade Phillips (or Cam Cameron), who, just like in 1998, was the "obvious" choice. So. instead of firing Marty & getting stuck with Wade, like his mentor John Butler did, he figured one more year with Marty was better than three years with Wade. Once Wade left, there was nothing blocking AJ from choosing the guy he really wants. If it is Ted Cottrell, who a reporter from SD predicted to Mike Francessa would be the one by Friday(I caught this last night on YES around 11 pm last night) he doesn't even have to have a parade of candidates come in, he can hire him ASAP.

Ted Cottrell would be to AJ what Meathead was to Teflon Tom - a poor HC who won't challenge his authority

Is it just me, or does AJ Smith come off as someone pretty cocky who has never won anything. In his tenure in SD, he has come into some pretty amazing circumstances. Not only did they pick #1 2 times, but both years that they picked #1 a media darling & supposed franchise player was in that draft that other teams would be willing to throw huge compensation for (Manning & Vick). Everybody credits them for signing Gates off the streets, but it has been well documented that SD was just the first of many stops for Gates in trying to land a job.

& it is funny how noone is critizing Smith for letting Brees walk. Say what you want about Rivers, he made the probowl, had a decent year etc... Im talking this past year, if Smith would of kept Breez on this team, there is noway SD would not of won the Super Bowl. Im pretty confident in that.

Ted Cotrell would be a good choice. He is familar with Aj Smith, would want to infringe on Aj's turf because he will have his hands full as a first time HC. Ted is a good defensive mind and could really help any DC brought in. I would get an experienced OC for Ted though.

Oh by the way, Alex Spanos fired Marty, he got fed up with the dysfunctional relationship bewtween marty and Aj and took steps to fix the problem. Now is as good as time as any when you have to rehire a lot of positions. If Marty hires all of the assistants and then walks next year, the new HC would want to bring in his own guys. It makes sense to get a new HC now.

I'm predicting Steve Mariucci.

Getting fired by Matt Millen & Ford is a plus, not a minus, on someone's resume.

Proven regular season winner who has won 3 playoff games with the niners.

A QB guy to further the development of Rivers.

Rich Kotite

Take this for what it is worth...found this on www.rotoworld.com:

There is reportedly "increasing talk in league circles" that the Chargers have a secret deal with USC's Pete Carroll to be their next head coach.

Profootballtalk.com suggests that Ron Rivera and Mike Singletary's interviews are simply to satisfy the Rooney Rule before Carroll is named. Carroll wouldn't comment about the job through a spokesman Tuesday.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

Take this for what it is worth...found this on www.rotoworld.com:

There is reportedly "increasing talk in league circles" that the Chargers have a secret deal with USC's Pete Carroll to be their next head coach.

Profootballtalk.com suggests that Ron Rivera and Mike Singletary's interviews are simply to satisfy the Rooney Rule before Carroll is named. Carroll wouldn't comment about the job through a spokesman Tuesday.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

Thanks for the info!

You do the same thing I do when I link to Profootballtalk-

"Take this for what its is worth........

Thanks for the info!

You do the same thing I do when I link to Profootballtalk-

"Take this for what its is worth........

You have to with that site! :wallbash:

As much as I question profootballtalk..I have a feeling this one could be legit...just seems odd how they gave Marty an extension then "all of the sudden" Marty is gone..seems to be someone in SD might have been negogiating all along, something happened, and then that prompted this sudden firing of Marty.

Is it just me, or does AJ Smith come off as someone pretty cocky who has never won anything. In his tenure in SD, he has come into some pretty amazing circumstances. Not only did they pick #1 2 times, but both years that they picked #1 a media darling & supposed franchise player was in that draft that other teams would be willing to throw huge compensation for (Manning & Vick). Everybody credits them for signing Gates off the streets, but it has been well documented that SD was just the first of many stops for Gates in trying to land a job.

& it is funny how noone is critizing Smith for letting Brees walk. Say what you want about Rivers, he made the probowl, had a decent year etc... Im talking this past year, if Smith would of kept Breez on this team, there is noway SD would not of won the Super Bowl. Im pretty confident in that.

I agree..Too many people are giving way too much credit for Smith for landing the talent base they have acquired in the last 5 years. And no one is criticizing for letting Brees walk without any compensation.

I agree..Too many people are giving way too much credit for Smith for landing the talent base they have acquired in the last 5 years. And no one is criticizing for letting Brees walk without any compensation.

So it's AJ's fault that Brees injured his shoulder & became a medical risk that made it impossible for them to do a franchise & trade deal?