Who will be the Chargers' next coach?

Albany,n.y.

I agree..Too many people are giving way too much credit for Smith for landing the talent base they have acquired in the last 5 years. And no one is criticizing for letting Brees walk without any compensation.

While I am a fan of Drew Brees and respect what he was able to accomplish this year, I think A.J. Smith made the right move even though it was the risky move(Rivers hadn't started and the team had high expectations)

Brees was coming off a serious career threatening injury.Kudos to N.O. that their gamble payed off- but it was a big gamble.

Rivers had a very good year for a first time starter- and his ceiling is certainly much,much higher.

How many teams wouldn't take a record of 14-2 wIth a first time starter at QB?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's AJ's fault that Brees injured his shoulder & became a medical risk that made it impossible for them to do a franchise & trade deal?

I am sure the Chargers have a medical staff that is equally competent as the NO saints staff. The fact that Brees got a huge contract from the saints indicate that the Saints medical staff knew he WILL recover from his surgery. If I were the SD staff, I would have put the franchise tag again and dealt him,

I am sure the Chargers have a medical staff that is equally competent as the NO saints staff. The fact that Brees got a huge contract from the saints indicate that the Saints medical staff knew he WILL recover from his surgery. If I were the SD staff, I would have put the franchise tag again and dealt him,

The Saints had more time to check his recovery out. He didn't sign with them until 19 days after the deadline to franchise a player, that could make a difference for a guy just coming off surgery. The Chargers, with another high paid QB already on the roster had to make a decision by February 23rd. They decided that Brees would not have trade value due to the injury. It's one thing for a team to risk $ on a guy who they get with no compensation, something entirely different when a team has the #2 pick in the draft & would be unwilling to trade it for a guy coming off an injury. Would SD have taken NO's 2nd round pick? The fact that Miami dropped out of the bidding, traded a #2 (a lot lower than NO's #2) to Minnesota & redid Culpepper's contract because they knew Daunte would recover shows that different docs have different opinions. The Saints docs thought (not knew because the Dolphins rolled the dice & lost on Culpepper) Brees had a good chance of recovering and they were right. But who would have dfealt for Brees & given him the big bucks?

My own concern about him is that from my understanding he has never been a coordinator.

Though,as a player he was certainly an exceptional leader of men.

To me coaching is about one thing more then anything else, motivating each player to do the very best they can. To do that you must be an exceptional leader. Singletary is just that, and he's also smart, motivated, and moral. He will instantly gain the complete respect of these young and sometimes immature players. I feel he’s by far the best HC prospect available, and will eventually take SD to a Super Bowl if given the chance.

To me coaching is about one thing more then anything else, motivating each player to do the very best they can. To do that you must be an exceptional leader. Singletary is just that, and he's also smart, motivated, and moral. He will instantly gain the complete respect of these young and sometimes immature players. I feel he’s by far the best HC prospect available, and will eventually take SD to a Super Bowl if given the chance.

I think Norv would add at least some continuity.

Wasn't Cameron using a version of his offense?

Then Cottrell could add continuity following in Wades footsteps as DC.

This seems like the least disruptive move to me.

It really boggles my mind that AJ waited this long to do this. He let both his coordinators walk before pulling the trigger. He let all the other teams find their new coaches first. AJ must already have an idea who he wants. And he must have been sure his pick wouldn't be hired by another team.

I thought it was Spanos that finally had enough and canned the Shot.

The Saints had more time to check his recovery out. He didn't sign with them until 19 days after the deadline to franchise a player, that could make a difference for a guy just coming off surgery. The Chargers, with another high paid QB already on the roster had to make a decision by February 23rd. They decided that Brees would not have trade value due to the injury. It's one thing for a team to risk $ on a guy who they get with no compensation, something entirely different when a team has the #2 pick in the draft & would be unwilling to trade it for a guy coming off an injury. Would SD have taken NO's 2nd round pick? The fact that Miami dropped out of the bidding, traded a #2 (a lot lower than NO's #2) to Minnesota & redid Culpepper's contract because they knew Daunte would recover shows that different docs have different opinions. The Saints docs thought (not knew because the Dolphins rolled the dice & lost on Culpepper) Brees had a good chance of recovering and they were right. But who would have dfealt for Brees & given him the big bucks?

The thing with the Franchise tag is you could place it on a player & remove it anytime during the offseason. SD had nothing to lose by franchising Brees.

Didn't SF just hire a DC? Was it Singletary? Make you wonder a little bit?

No,The San Francisco 49ers hired San Diego linebackers coach Greg Manusky as their defensive coordinator.

Right, they hired a DC instead of promoting their own guy. Either SF doesn't feel he is ready, or they have made a big blunder if those calling for Singletary as a prime HC candidate are correct.

The thing with the Franchise tag is you could place it on a player & remove it anytime during the offseason. SD had nothing to lose by franchising Brees.

Exactly....And if those 19 days were critical, I am sure a playoff bound team would have waited before jumping the gun....AJ Smith gets way too much credit for what has been built in SD.....As I posted in another thread, he is no different than Donahoe....The Chargers finished at the bottom twice in his tenure and had good draft picks to chose from, helped by both the Falcons and Giants during those two years.....However, he failed to find the right head coach that could co-exist with him and take the team to the superbowl. He will eventually pay for that.

Exactly....And if those 19 days were critical, I am sure a playoff bound team would have waited before jumping the gun....AJ Smith gets way too much credit for what has been built in SD.....As I posted in another thread, he is no different than Donahoe....The Chargers finished at the bottom twice in his tenure and had good draft picks to chose from, helped by both the Falcons and Giants during those two years.....However, he failed to find the right head coach that could co-exist with him and take the team to the superbowl. He will eventually pay for that.

From some of the reports out there, he maybe paying for that fairly soon.