Marty Schottenheimer fired!

Let me see if I understand something here...

Right after the Chargers handed the game to New England...all the talk was about how Marty chokes in the playoffs...he can never lead a team to a Super Bowl etc....but now, this move is SO bad for the Chargers...why?

Granted I question the way it was handled...but if Marty is nothing more then a great coach from Sept-Dec...how in the world could this be a bad move for the Chargers if their goal is to win the Super Bowl and Marty cannot get there in the first place?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me see if I understand something here...

Right after the Chargers handed the game to New England...all the talk was about how Marty chokes in the playoffs...he can never lead a team to a Super Bowl etc....but now, this move is SO bad for the Chargers...why?

Granted I question the way it was handled...but if Marty is nothing more then a great coach from Sept-Dec...how in the world could this be a bad move for the Chargers if their goal is to win the Super Bowl and Marty cannot get there in the first place?

The question is, who can the Chargers get as a HC who will be as good, much less better than (i.e. being able to win in the playoffs), at this late a stage, than Schottenheimer? Smith screwed the pooch and should have fired Schottenheimer AFTER he choked against the Pats, realizing that no matter how much talent Marty had, he'd always be a playoff choker, much less get a team to the SB and win it. And at that time, he would have had a lot more people from which to choose, namely Cameron and Phillips.

AJ screwed the pooch here. Be decisive and make your moves. Waiting around 'til mid February when he eventually lost both coordinators really hampers building a quality staff. Guess he learned this from his days with John "lead them along" Butler.

If it was up to AJ, Marty would have been fired last year. I am sure AJ wanted to walk into the lockeroom after the Patsies game and fire off a pink slip. Keeping Marty was all Spanos, and you get bet that AJ kept hammering Dean that all the good coaching was done by his asistants, and they were all gone now, why keep Marty?

If it was up to AJ, Marty would have been fired last year. I am sure AJ wanted to walk into the lockeroom after the Patsies game and fire off a pink slip. Keeping Marty was all Spanos, and you get bet that AJ kept hammering Dean that all the good coaching was done by his asistants, and they were all gone now, why keep Marty?

rumor has it old Ted Cottrall will be interviewed because of his past with AJ Smith

With alot of the assistants gone and both OC and DC gone is the perfect time to fire marty. Now the new HC can hire his own staff. Also it was Spanos who had enough of AJ and Marty fighting with each other and decided to fire Marty.

What is the talk in San Diego about who Spanos and Smith might hire?

rumor has it old Ted Cottrall will be interviewed because of his past with AJ Smith

Rumor has it that Cottrell was the final straw. AJ wanted Marty to interview Ted for the DC job. Marty says no, I want to hire my brother and that was that.

Also heard mention that the Chargers are pissed because Marty let two assistants leave to become coordinators. They (Spanos & Smith) didn't want to grant permission.

My darkhorse candidate...Vermeil.

If he was outta work...Marv

Marty has made millions by being fired by all the right people! :thumbsup:

Nobody touches Larry Brown in that department! In the course of 12 calander months, he was paid something like 70 million dollars not to coach the Pacers and the Knicks. Good work if you can't get it! :lol:

Nobody touches Larry Brown in that department! In the course of 12 calander months, he was paid something like 70 million dollars not to coach the Pacers and the Knicks. Good work if you can't get it! :thumbsup:

I believe it was the pistons and knicks

Furthermore, I agree that Mora Jr is a strong candidate in this situation. Guy was an average HC or so then ends up taking a job as like a secondary coach or something, doesnt sit right, even if it is in his home state.

Theres one more guy who nobody has mentioned(in part bc of how short-sighted the nfl is I think) and that guy is named Steve Mariucci

I believe, since Pete Carroll did interview (even if on his own vacation turf) for the Miami job, and because of the Reggie Bush situation, and the just revealed offer to another recruit to USC, that it is time for Pete to try the NFL again. I thought that he was above average coaching both the Patriots and the Jets, but did not have as good (coachable) a quarterback on either team as he had at USC each year he has been there.]

What about whomever was the OC for the Cowboys last year, he showed that hes capable of directing an offense that can attack you in a variety of ways. Unless it was just someone else coaching sean paytons offense

Also, what about Dick LeBeau as HC, he knows the 3-4 as good as anyone

What about whomever was the OC for the Cowboys last year, he showed that hes capable of directing an offense that can attack you in a variety of ways. Unless it was just someone else coaching sean paytons offense

Also, what about Dick LeBeau as HC, he knows the 3-4 as good as anyone

How about Charlie Weis i kno its unlikely but why not?