F.O. on Wade

silvermike

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/footb..._Edge_of_Reason

Not nearly enough attention to his one great failing - firing Bruce DeHaven and giving us a special teams that burned through a top ten offense and defense.

I actually think the QB controversy was the greatest failing, but it's hard to argue firing a great ST coach and hiring a buddy with no experience to take his place.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/footb..._Edge_of_Reason

Not nearly enough attention to his one great failing - firing Bruce DeHaven and giving us a special teams that burned through a top ten offense and defense.

The whole argument is supported by and centered around Wade's QB decision.

Take that away and what - Wade was a pretty decent coach, right?

Well, I've heard many times through the grapevine that the decision to start Johnson over Flutie was in fact Ralph Wilson's executive decision. Wade preferred Flutie. Johnson had performed well (a fluke) in the previous week's cleanup game against the Colts.

If there was a QB rating system that rated performance against pay, Johnson would be off the scale. He robbed the Bills blind under the banner, Mr. Potential.

Well, I've heard many times through the grapevine that the decision to start Johnson over Flutie was in fact Ralph Wilson's executive decision. Wade preferred Flutie. Johnson had performed well (a fluke) in the previous week's cleanup game against the Colts.

If there was a QB rating system that rated performance against pay, Johnson would be off the scale. He robbed the Bills blind under the banner, Mr. Potential.

Johnson also performed well in the playoff loss to Tennesee. He drove us down for the GW FG with one shoe on.

I sometimes wonder if RJ would have had a much different career had we not been bamboozled on the music city miracle. :wallbash:

Johnson also performed well in the playoff loss to Tennesee. He drove us down for the GW FG with one shoe on.

I sometimes wonder if RJ would have had a much different career...

...If he didn't live in stark fear of giving up an interception instead of chronically losing field position.

If that were so obvious, why did TD and GW chose Rob Johnson over Flutie....They were a new regime and had no allegiance to the previous regimes recruits.

I find it kind of funny that the writer skips the 99 season. Flutie was great the first year here that he started when Johnson got hurt. But the next year, they won inspite of Flutie. I think teams figured him out what to do to stop him, essentially not rush him, and make him beat you with his arm, throwing over the middle. I agree too, not sure if iut really was Phillips decision or Wilson, but wither way, I don't think we could have gone very deep into playoff with Flutie. I didn't think it was such a bad move at the time.

Wade was put in an impossible situation as far as Flutie/Johnson. But I think the big mistake that Schatz is making is that he ignores the reason the Bills went 8-8 in 2000. With a 7-4 record and leading the (very good) Bucs in Tampa, our best player, Sam Cowart, goes down for the seaon, quickly followed by Sam Rogers, Keion Carpenter, and Antoine Winfield. In that game and the following two, we allow our three highest point totals of the season and drop four straight. We were a different team after. We went from a potential 8-4 and in good position for a divison title to middle of the pack. I've never held Wade accountable for that.

If that were so obvious, why did TD and GW chose Rob Johnson over Flutie....They were a new regime and had no allegiance to the previous regimes recruits.

5 years 25 million is why they chose Johnson. That was a screw up beyond belief. I still can't believe some of the anti-flutie talk around here. The guy won football games something we haven't done in a long time.

5 years 25 million is why they chose Johnson. That was a screw up beyond belief. I still can't believe some of the anti-flutie talk around here. The guy won football games something we haven't done in a long time.

Because Flutie had limitations in his game that likely wouldn't lead the Bills any further then "he" took us to in 1998.

Dude, how many times do you need to read this to realize what happened? Try again:

RALPH WILSON MANDATED THAT THE BILLS KEEP ROB JOHNSON.

One of the main reasons Ralph fired Wade was because Wade Phillips wanted to keep Flutie over Johnson. That is fact.

Dude, how many times do you need to read this to realize what happened? Try again:

One of the main reasons Ralph fired Wade was because Wade Phillips wanted to keep Flutie over Johnson. That is fact.

Supported by what ?

sounds more like urban legend to me

keep repeating a rumor and it becomes real? :rolleyes:

Nope....There is no facts to back that up.....TD was given a completely free hand at making his roster and he and GW chose Johnson over Flutie over potential to learn a WC offense....

RJ was horrible running a WCO, mainly due to the fact that Sheppard was a 1st time WCO OC and it takes a few years to master the WCO.

The main reason Ralph fired Wade was because Wade would not fire his ST coach. He offered to move him to a administrative position, but Ralph wanted nothing to do with such a move.

I am dewildered that some folks still harbor this Flutie manlove thing.