Coy gets re-signed

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never made such claims, but I'd certainly take April's evaluation over a bunch of numbers that you seem to believe holds a great deal of importance.

I've never claimed to be as smart as the coaches, it's just my opinion. To me a guy that has been around as long as he has and has no upside as a starter doesn't have a place on the team.

PS Anyone(not aimed at you) who compares Wire to Tasker or Pike needs to put down the pipe. They are not even in the same league.

All right, I'm not going to get concerned because Wire supposedly gets a three year deal. That'd be too knee-jerk of a reaction.

But, I'm still puzzled over why we did this now. Plus, we gave P.Price a 4 yr deal, Royal a 5 yr deal, and Fowler a 3 yr deal last year. These guys have maxed their potential. Now we're giving a career backup and special teamer three years. Why now? Was Coy Wire going to be highly sought after on the free agent market? It stands to reason the market dictates a players worth. If a player isn't a commodity, then why the need to give a deal far and away more than what anyone else would have offered. I can't see the reason why Wire needs a longer term deal. What's wrong with a 1 year deal? I hope the front office doesn't feel like they owe him because he's been here so long.

I want to give Marv and the rest of the front office a pass for their first two seasons. But there are more and more moves that just seem so off the wall. Whether it was last years excursion in free agency, whatever, there are a lot of surprising moves being made. I hope we don't go cheap and claim we're looking for depth in free agency. I've been given a lot of lines about how this player is good and that one is special. It's not going to work anymore. Coy Wire plays hard, but playing hard isn't enough in the National Football League. We need talent.

You're right, because a guy who was a 2nd team all american at stanford, and 1st team all pac-10 at the LINEBACKER position obviously has no talent and no ability to play linebacker. :thumbsup:

...and players like former Bills draftee Corey Moore were also GREAT college football players that didn't amount to sh-- in the NFL. Since when does great in college equal NFL caliber player? :lol:

Originally I was puzzled to as to why re-sign Wire but according to NFLPA.org this morning his base salaries for the three years are $650k, $700k and $750k. So as long as the signing bonus is not extravagant, you have a good special teamer/7th linebacker who fits the current system for reasonable money. A decent start and another character player in the lockeroom and in the community.

Now let's see if Uncle Ralpch can sell a Monet and re-sign Nate.....

...and players like former Bills draftee Corey Moore were also GREAT college football players that didn't amount to sh-- in the NFL. Since when does great in college equal NFL caliber player? :thumbsup:

Have to disagree with you on that one. Corey Moore was not asked to play a position different from the one he had excelled in or was drafted for. 'Slash' type players are very rare and don't have a significant impact on any position if they are playing a multiple of them. One example is of Kordell Stewart drafted as a WR, given the chance to become a QB which shortened his NFL career because he could not reverse that sequence. Let CW bulk up over the off-season and let our coaches train him as they did JP - worst case we may have a decent spot-duty MLB. Sheer enthusiasm may ensure he performs atleast adequately in that role.

Have to disagree with you on that one. Corey Moore was not asked to play a position different from the one he had excelled in or was drafted for. 'Slash' type players are very rare and don't have a significant impact on any position if they are playing a multiple of them. One example is of Kordell Stewart drafted as a WR, given the chance to become a QB which shortened his NFL career because he could not reverse that sequence. Let CW bulk up over the off-season and let our coaches train him as they did JP - worst case we may have a decent spot-duty MLB. Sheer enthusiasm may ensure he performs atleast adequately in that role.

Corey Moore was just an example. My point is that there are many conference all americans in college who just didn't have what it took to play in the nfl.

I've never claimed to be as smart as the coaches, it's just my opinion. To me a guy that has been around as long as he has and has no upside as a starter doesn't have a place on the team.

PS Anyone(not aimed at you) who compares Wire to Tasker or Pike needs to put down the pipe. They are not even in the same league.

A couple comments:

1) You are comfortable enough with your opinion that you are willing to discard the highly educated opinion of one of (if not THE) best special teams coach in the NFL about who was his best ST player last year based upon your own subjective notion that "a guy that has no upside as a starter should not have a place on this team"? Do you understand how narrow minded that sounds about the third facet of the game, special teams, which often can make or break a win/loss in this NFL?

2) How much "upside" did Mark Pike have as a starter?

Corey Moore was just an example. My point is that there are many conference all americans in college who just didn't have what it took to play in the nfl.

Except Moore was a 210 DE who noway was even going to be big anough to play that spot in the NFL. Wire was asked to not gain weight and play SS. Again both played out of position, but in Moores case henever would have been big enough to play his natural position. Wire on the otherhand was really only about 10-15 pounds light and could have gained earlier and stayed in his natural spot.

Yeah, we'll see if he does make the team...I realize he could be released during or after training camp. I'm comfortable with the salary if that is indeed correct and the bonus isn't disproportionate.

All I'm saying is, I hope this signing isn't indicative of a trend coming our way. I don't see a way around signing at least one above average to excellent guy in Free Agency. If Buffalo conducts their 2007 Free Agency period like they did in 2006, we're in for another long season. I don't think they've got the players on the roster right now to be a playoff team. There are too many question marks. Ralph even said it himself last year that they were quite a few players away.

Yeah, we'll see if he does make the team...I realize he could be released during or after training camp. I'm comfortable with the salary if that is indeed correct and the bonus isn't disproportionate.

All I'm saying is, I hope this signing isn't indicative of a trend coming our way. I don't see a way around signing at least one above average to excellent guy in Free Agency. If Buffalo conducts their 2007 Free Agency period like they did in 2006, we're in for another long season. I don't think they've got the players on the roster right now to be a playoff team. There are too many question marks. Ralph even said it himself last year that they were quite a few players away.

What on earth about this signing could make you worry about the free agency period? It hasn't even started yet, and this signing will have zero impact on the team's approach.

You're right, because a guy who was a 2nd team all american at stanford, and 1st team all pac-10 at the LINEBACKER position obviously has no talent and no ability to play linebacker. :thumbsup:

Stanford talent: yes.

NFL talent: no.

If we think promoting a backup into a starting role for one of the worst

run defenses in the league is a good move, we're in trouble.

Give it up Coy's dad!

:lol:

If we think promoting a backup into a starting role for one of the worst

run defenses in the league is a good move, we're in trouble.

Wait, did I miss the part of the press release where it said we've re-signed Coy to make him our starting linebacker?

Oh that's right. I didn't.