Giant Earthquake to hit British Comlumbia???

stevestojan

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

Scientists have alerted British Columbia's emergency-planning department to the possibility of a catastrophic earthquake striking the province's southwest coast next week.

While the probability of a quake is still low, rapid strides in earthquake detection have given federal scientists with the Pacific Geoscience Centre on Vancouver Island greater confidence in their ability to predict when and where one will occur. Garry Rogers, a seismologist at the centre, compared the current earthquake odds to the dangers of driving a car.

“Everyone drives their car every day, and the probability of getting in a car accident is small,” Dr. Rogers said. But during rush hour, the probability of getting into an accident is much higher. “Well, Vancouver Island is now driving in rush hour.”

Scientists have alerted British Columbia's emergency-planning department to the possibility of a catastrophic earthquake striking the province's southwest coast next week.

While the probability of a quake is still low, rapid strides in earthquake detection have given federal scientists with the Pacific Geoscience Centre on Vancouver Island greater confidence in their ability to predict when and where one will occur. Garry Rogers, a seismologist at the centre, compared the current earthquake odds to the dangers of driving a car.

“Everyone drives their car every day, and the probability of getting in a car accident is small,” Dr. Rogers said. But during rush hour, the probability of getting into an accident is much higher. “Well, Vancouver Island is now driving in rush hour.”

Fug me, we are booked for a week in Whistler the first week of March, heres hoping thee guys are crying wolf. Not to worried bout the damage and destruction this would do to the residents, strictly how it will impact my vacation plans:oops:

Fug me, we are booked for a week in Whistler the first week of March, heres hoping thee guys are crying wolf. Not to worried bout the damage and destruction this would do to the residents, strictly how it will impact my vacation plans:oops:

Don't worry! Global Warming is going to melt ALL the snow before you or the earthquake get there. :rolleyes:

FWIW, they've called off all the warnings as the micro-quakes stopped yesterday. You can bet the hype machine has been eating this one up.

We've known about this for many years now, but we aren't even preparing for it. It's going to happen soon.

You have no idea what you're talking about. There are public service ads all the time on TV telling people to have emergency provisions on hand for when this eventually happens (the "3 days, 3 ways" campaign). The whole reason they're replacing the Alaskan Way Viaduct is because of the earthquake risk. Other than holding people's hands, I'm not sure what you want the government to do.

Are you unemployed? :rolleyes:

Good...you've not posted in a bit. Hope your truck is doing ok, as well as the dog.

Funny enough, that's due to work. Recently became a supervisor at work ("When I grow up, I want to claw my way to middle management!") and who knew it would come with so many hours :rolleyes:

Anyway, dog is good. Getting bored with the truck and am looking at a Grand Cherokee.

Funny enough, that's due to work. Recently became a supervisor at work ("When I grow up, I want to claw my way to middle management!") and who knew it would come with so many hours :rolleyes:

Anyway, dog is good. Getting bored with the truck and am looking at a Grand Cherokee.

"You are The Man, sir. You're only sticking it to yourself."

Congrats on the new job! :rolleyes:

Grand Cherokee is a nice model...brake assist for the antilock brakes and antiskid standard. If you are considering the 4WD version, the base Laredo (which is well-equipped), be sure if you opt for the 3.7 L motor, to get the Quadra-Trac II option with the 2-speed transfer case. Side airbags are standard for '07.

Here's Consumer Guide's test of the GC:

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...-cherokee-6.htm

Only in business development...except there it's interrupted by the occasional golf outing...

Crap, that reminds me I still need to get a flight to West Palm for that important business meeting next week. First I need to cut some benefits from "the workers" to balance the budget.