Football sucks...

I'm an avid Bills fan, but I'm also a fan of international, Olympic-type sports.

The other day at work a guy said that the only sport the USA is good at any more on the world stage is football. I said that's because football is not on the world stage...

Our golfers get blown away in the Ryder Cup (or whatever it's called where we annually get taken apart by the Europeans).

Our basketball 'dream teams" win internationally, but only in their dreams.

Our baseball could not win an international tournament that began last year.

Our soccer doesn't win

Our hockey doesn't win.

I don't know who our tennis players are anymore.

Track still does well, but not great.

Our "great" football athletes are competing against the fewest people in the world for their positions. If we started to open it up to international competition, our "world's greatest athletes" would be selling shoes, or crack, in Des Moines or Kansas City...

"Impossible," we said about our basketball players, but now they are the world's B word.

Half of Samoa seems to be playing nose tackle in the NFL, and they just heard about the sport yesterday.

Think about this, provincial American slobs and wimps, when you diss soccer players, track athletes, et. al.-- if the entire world cared about football, our hero Nate Clemen$ (or Clement$ or Clement or however he wants it spelled/pronounced) would likely be playing semi-pro in Peoria.

Big fish in a small pond.

You mean except for the fact that in almost every spot, the Americans are the guys or team to beat? The Ryder Cup is ALL of Europe. Our basketball teams would kill these teams if we used all our players and they played together as much as their competitors. Think if we use our best baseball players we might win a world competition against another country?

Granted, it's okay if we're not the best in certain sports anymore. It's actually good, for everyone. And surely other countries are catching up in a lot of sports, and that's good, too. But it's still not even remotely close as to who has the most and best athletes overall.

You mean except for the fact that in almost every spot, the Americans are the guys or team to beat? The Ryder Cup is ALL of Europe. Our basketball teams would kill these teams if we used all our players and they played together as much as their competitors. Think if we use our best baseball players we might win a world competition against another country?

Granted, it's okay if we're not the best in certain sports anymore. It's actually good, for everyone. And surely other countries are catching up in a lot of sports, and that's good, too. But it's still not even remotely close as to who has the most and best athletes overall.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Pollyanna. But we have taken our very best into these situations and have not only gotten beat, but hammered. Then we regrouped and got hammered again.

Don't most European countries have national teams dedicated to the Olympics, or at least athletes much more involved with the Olympics training then America? I also see some of our athletes receive less fundamental training then our European counterparts. For an example of both worlds look no further then the NBA. We bring our NBA players from every team, but they have no clue how work together. I've always felt the NBA champions (excluding foreign players) would field a more competitive team because they're a team.

To make matters worse we have NBA players receiving less fundamental training in younger years. Most these guys develop individual skills on the streets and the best players rarely finish 4 years threw college. The best Europeans go threw intense fundamental training in a team atmosphere specifically designed for international play. These players start in the systems before they're 10, and from that time on they've trained for this moment. They might be inferior individually but this isn't a sport meant for individuals. That is unless it’s the NBA.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Pollyanna. But we have taken our very best into these situations and have not only gotten beat, but hammered. Then we regrouped and got hammered again.

Do you want to start listing all of the countries who you feel have more top athletes overall than the United States? Last I looked, Europe isn't a country.

You can't be serious. Yeah, the US sucks ass:

Gold metal history for modern summer olympic games. Notice how we've never finished lower than 3rd in the modern summer olympics?

Gold metal history for modern winter olympic games. We're not quite as good at these games, finishing 8th at the lowest.

Our overall average ranking for gold medals in the Olympics is 2.72. Yeah, the US sucks.

Yeah, you already said that, and are ignoring the point. Do you want to start listing the countries that offer better athletes than the states?

Oh, where did I put my world atlas?

Can you make a list of the international competitions our "greats" have won? Don't you see that the rest of the world counts wins, while you are counting pipe dreams. Dream on.

USA wins lately = zero.

Kelly's excuses = (nobody but USA apologists care).

Oh, where did I put my world atlas?

Can you make a list of the international competitions our "greats" have won? Don't you see that the rest of the world counts wins, while you are counting pipe dreams. Dream on.

USA wins lately = zero.

Kelly's excuses = (nobody but USA apologists care).

So your answer is either no, you cannot name any other countries in the world with better athletes or else you cannot use an atlas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Summer_O...ics#Medal_count

The simple fact is that the United States doesn't fair as well in these international competitions because we don't field and practice in national teams the way most all other countries do. And you're using the example of the Ryder Cup which is preposterous as I believe the European team chooses from 29 total member countries.

You can't be serious. Yeah, the US sucks ass:

Gold metal history for modern summer olympic games. Notice how we've never finished lower than 3rd in the modern summer olympics?

Gold metal history for modern winter olympic games. We're not quite as good at these games, finishing 8th at the lowest.

Our overall average ranking for gold medals in the Olympics is 2.72. Yeah, the US sucks.

If you had read my initial post, I was positive about our our international track teams. It was the big-$$ sports I was mocking. Welcome aboard.

Before I leave, I would like to let you know (any friend would, to keep you from further public embarassment) that gold "medal" is spelled with a 'd.'

We lead the world in over-hyped athletes--and in the least bang for the educational buck!

So your answer is either no, you cannot name any other countries in the world with better athletes or else you cannot use an atlas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Summer_O...ics#Medal_count

The simple fact is that the United States doesn't fair as well in these international competitions because we don't field and practice in national teams the way most all other countries do. And you're using the example of the Ryder Cup which is preposterous as I believe the European team chooses from 29 total member countries.

Exactly.

This is the way I look at it. If you take everybody in the world and randomly select athletes no country will have better athletes over the long term. That's not say the Theory of Evolution doesn't play into some regions, and how they relate to certain skills, but the very best athletes from all nations are developed. Americans don't excel in the team sports because the lack of training they receive for international play with each other. When it comes to individual sports, which actually is a better indication of individual athleticism we dominate.

Our golfers get blown away in the Ryder Cup (or whatever it's called where we annually get taken apart by the Europeans).

Yawn. A bi-annual event that leaves out most of the best players in the world. Maybe if you considered the world golf rankings at the end of 2006, you'd see a vast array of countries, with the USA more than holding their own (including 3 of the top 4.)

Our basketball 'dream teams" win internationally, but only in their dreams.

They also took a game that was played seriously in one country on earth, this one, and made it a true world game. But you're right, Spain is better. I also enjoyed how you failed to mention that the rules are quite different from the rules our players have played with their entire lives.

Our baseball could not win an international tournament that began last year.

So...you're citing a one-and-done knockout tournament as evidence of American demise in a sport where the BEST teams only win 55% of their games? Sweet.

Our soccer doesn't win

When have they ever won? Interesting that USA doesn't quite have the athleticism of other world powers, and both football and soccer are fall sports in this country...I wouldn't mind seeing Reggie Bush if he played soccer 14 hours a day from the time he was 3 years old. The USA is a world power in Under-20 tournaments, but it hasn't translated into the men yet.

Our hockey doesn't win.

Canada, Czech Republic, Sweden, Russia, USA. Pick one. I guarantee they win the next major tournament or Olympics.

I don't know who our tennis players are anymore.

Again, if you would check the world rankings, the USA is one of two countries with two players in the world top-10. Andy Roddick is ranked 4th and James Blake is ranked 6th. The other country? Croatia, with players ranked #8 and #10. Although it could be argued that anybody not named Roger Federer sucks at tennis right now. He's unreal.

Track still does well, but not great.

Your grasping at straws with this one. Americans will be the favorites in every event under 800M, plus decathalon, heptathalon, pole vault, etc. while a smattering of opponents from dozens of other countries will be able to 'steal' a win in certain events every once in a while. Big deal. Does anybody even remember these people ten minutes after their event is over? That includes the Americans.

Our "great" football athletes are competing against the fewest people in the world for their positions. If we started to open it up to international competition, our "world's greatest athletes" would be selling shoes, or crack, in Des Moines or Kansas City...

I defy you to find a more pure athlete than an NFL running back. Or linebacker. Or wide receiver.

Half of Samoa seems to be playing nose tackle in the NFL, and they just heard about the sport yesterday.

Huh? Once again, I'm not afraid to post the evidence for you. Can you find five?

Why are you here?

I believe that this is a board about Buffalo Bills football. I'm glad you're an "avid Bills fan", but I get the feeling you're more

like an "avid troll".

I think this discussion would be better placed in an off-topic category. Please?

Thanks! The topic was meant to place our footbal heroes in a proper athletic perspective. When the American athlete goes against the world, he is shown to be mediocre. No one has refuted that premise in the replies so far. There has been bluster, chest-thumping, conjecture, and (most of all) excuses--but no refutation.

I do think that we as football fans should understand the very small pool of talent that our "stars" compete against. It's akin to competing to be all-league in a talent market the size of Buffalo vs. a talent market the size of L.A. or New York.

Questions like this interest me about sports and culture. If they don't interest you, then just beat your man-boobs like the rest of 'em! And go on to the next topic about the subtleties of the off-tackle slant! Or the ever-enduring fascination with whom we should select in the 4th round...

I'm also here for fun--and I'm enjoying it as you twits bring forward one weak, pathetic reply after another!

Yawn. A bi-annual event that leaves out most of the best players in the world. Maybe if you considered the world golf rankings at the end of 2006, you'd see a vast array of countries, with the USA more than holding their own (including 3 of the top 4.)

They also took a game that was played seriously in one country on earth, this one, and made it a true world game. But you're right, Spain is better. I also enjoyed how you failed to mention that the rules are quite different from the rules our players have played with their entire lives.

So...you're citing a one-and-done knockout tournament as evidence of American demise in a sport where the BEST teams only win 55% of their games? Sweet.

When have they ever won? Interesting that USA doesn't quite have the athleticism of other world powers, and both football and soccer are fall sports in this country...I wouldn't mind seeing Reggie Bush if he played soccer 14 hours a day from the time he was 3 years old. The USA is a world power in Under-20 tournaments, but it hasn't translated into the men yet.

Canada, Czech Republic, Sweden, Russia, USA. Pick one. I guarantee they win the next major tournament or Olympics.

Again, if you would check the world rankings, the USA is one of two countries with two players in the world top-10. Andy Roddick is ranked 4th and James Blake is ranked 6th. The other country? Croatia, with players ranked #8 and #10. Although it could be argued that anybody not named Roger Federer sucks at tennis right now. He's unreal.

Your grasping at straws with this one. Americans will be the favorites in every event under 800M, plus decathalon, heptathalon, pole vault, etc. while a smattering of opponents from dozens of other countries will be able to 'steal' a win in certain events every once in a while. Big deal. Does anybody even remember these people ten minutes after their event is over? That includes the Americans.

I defy you to find a more pure athlete than an NFL running back. Or linebacker. Or wide receiver.

Huh? Once again, I'm not afraid to post the evidence for you. Can you find five?

I got out the microscope and the binoculars, smokinandjokin, but I've yet to locate a winner in your very laborious post. A whole bunch of promises and excuses, but the trophies seem to be on somebody else's shelf.

The rules, the tournament set-up, guarantees, rankings, our great junior varsity squad...but no trophy.

Thanks! The topic was meant to place our footbal heroes in a proper athletic perspective. When the American athlete goes against the world, he is shown to be mediocre. No one has refuted that premise in the replies so far. There has been bluster, chest-thumping, conjecture, and (most of all) excuses--but no refutation.

I do think that we as football fans should understand the very small pool of talent that our "stars" compete against. It's akin to competing to be all-league in a talent market the size of Buffalo vs. a talent market the size of L.A. or New York.

Questions like this interest me about sports and culture. If they don't interest you, then just beat your man-boobs like the rest of 'em! And go on to the next topic about the subtleties of the off-tackle slant! Or the ever-enduring fascination with whom we should select in the 4th round...

I'm also here for fun--and I'm enjoying it as you twits bring forward one weak, pathetic reply after another!

could you possibly fathom that the majority of our top athletes are training in popular speactator sports like football baseball and hockey, as opposed to ones of a more international flavor? Seriously, If you had Deion Sanders in his prime as a striker, he probably would have notched a ton of goals. Brian Moorman, just a hair off being ranked in the top 25 or top 50 in the world in both hurdles events while he was at Pittsburg State. To state that our country is lacking athletes is like saying Osama bin Laden is lacking nose hair

could you possibly fathom that the majority of our top athletes are training in popular speactator sports like football baseball and hockey, as opposed to ones of a more international flavor? Seriously, If you had Deion Sanders in his prime as a striker, he probably would have notched a ton of goals. Brian Moorman, just a hair off being ranked in the top 25 or top 50 in the world in both hurdles events while he was at Pittsburg State. To state that our country is lacking athletes is like saying Osama bin Laden is lacking nose hair

We're a non-factor in hockey, haven't won in baseball, have seen our "best athletes in the world" from the NBA embarassed annually for years and years now. I would call all of these facts. Which of these facts am I not fathoming?

Deion Sanders as a striker is conjecture. Brian Moorman is a fast punter, but never appeared on anything other than a division 2 or 3 college level in track. These are figments.

I fathom facts, and you fathom figments. But we both fathom.

We're a non-factor in hockey, haven't won in baseball, have seen our "best athletes in the world" from the NBA embarassed annually for years and years now. I would call all of these facts. Which of these facts am I not fathoming?

Deion Sanders as a striker is conjecture. Brian Moorman is a fast punter, but never appeared on anything other than a division 2 or 3 college level in track. These are figments.

I am almost a crusader on Moorman's speed, but the reality is that he could compete with most of the D-I guys w/o doubt. Hell I am a D-III hurdler and sprinter, and I have spanked some D-I athletes in my day. The sad truth is that some of the D-I "talent" is misevaluated and does not deserve to be there while some D-II and D-III hidden gems can put a whooping a good chunk of the D-I scholarships athletes. In fact, I met a pro-Pole Vaulter who was D-III that was the best in all of the NCAA a few years back. So, your claim that Moorman was just a D-II athlete is a lame excuse as he was voted the best D-II athlete his senior year for his track and football accomplishments. Again proving some ingorance

I got out the microscope and the binoculars, smokinandjokin, but I've yet to locate a winner in your very laborious post. A whole bunch of promises and excuses, but the trophies seem to be on somebody else's shelf.

The rules, the tournament set-up, guarantees, rankings, our great junior varsity squad...but no trophy.

lol, what a loser! He just proved you completely wrong and you come back with that post? Just do us a favor and leave now, please, because...you suck.

lawlz, did you know that iron is a medal, Mr. Troll?

Wow! Upsetting your cherished assumptions was great fun! But the cat does get tired of toying with half-dead mice after awhile. Not one of you has pointed to any recent American team victory internationally, which is exactly what my point was from the start...

So, sayonara for now.

But before I go, you guys have proved one thing. While the American athlete is an also-ran internationally, the American intellect, if represented by your replies, can't even find its way to the starting line.

Your replies have descended to the intellectual level of armpit farts. But armpit farts are also great fun. So, thanks!

I am almost a crusader on Moorman's speed, but the reality is that he could compete with most of the D-I guys w/o doubt. Hell I am a D-III hurdler and sprinter, and I have spanked some D-I athletes in my day. The sad truth is that some of the D-I "talent" is misevaluated and does not deserve to be there while some D-II and D-III hidden gems can put a whooping a good chunk of the D-I scholarships athletes. In fact, I met a pro-Pole Vaulter who was D-III that was the best in all of the NCAA a few years back. So, your claim that Moorman was just a D-II athlete is a lame excuse as he was voted the best D-II athlete his senior year for his track and football accomplishments. Again proving some ingorance

No ignorance, my friend. Brian Moorman is flat-out fast, and I said so. But he has not taken it to anything near an international level, which is the level this thread has been speaking about. I have a feeling that Brian Moorman would be the first one to double over in laughter if you are thinking of comparing his 110 high-hurdle ability to Olympic-calibre hurdlers.

Brian Moorman is fast compared to the Buffalo Bills, but slow compared to the world. That was my thesis--that football players are only big fish because they compete in a relatively small pond. Thus, you have unwittingly gone a long way towards proving my thesis, as have most of the replies to this topic. So, thankyou, jzmack. Thankyou...one and all.

Now, jzmack, who's "proving some ignorance?"

No ignorance, my friend. Brian Moorman is flat-out fast, and I said so. But he has not taken it to anything near an international level, which is the level this thread has been speaking about. I have a feeling that Brian Moorman would be the first one to double over in laughter if you are thinking of comparing his 110 high-hurdle ability to Olympic-calibre hurdlers.

Brian Moorman is fast compared to the Buffalo Bills, but slow compared to the world. That was my thesis--that football players are only big fish because they compete in a relatively small pond. Thus, you have unwittingly gone a long way towards proving my thesis, as have most of the replies to this topic. So, thankyou, jzmack. Thankyou...one and all.

Now, jzmack, who's "proving some ignorance?"

no actually he was at an elite top 50 in the world level, as his times were 13.81 and 49.77 for the hurdles. Both of those times easily place him in the top 50 in the world for any given year. Please keep talking out of your ass, i am enjoying it too much.

I think it's funny we are getting so worked up trying to prove a crusader wrong. When his sole purpose is to volley a rock into a hornets nest and have fun at the mayhem. If he were here for true rational conversation, he would not present NFL players as mere chumps in the athletic stage. Take for example Ben Johnsons world breaking 1988 100 meter dash. When broken down, he covered the first 40 meters in 4.08 seconds. Bo Jackson fan a 4.12 40, Deion Sanders ran a 4.17, and even our pedestrian Lee Evans managed a 4.31. I would say that those times easily falls into world class stature.

Mediocre? On principal alone no world class athlete is MEDIOCRE! Furthermore, you're talking out both sides of your mouth. You cite all these sports: basketball, baseball, football, soccer, the olympics, etc- and the facts with which people have responded DO indicate that the United States (with the exception of soccer) not only wins at these sports, she has been winning at them for a long time and in some cases has out right dominated them. For those few sports in which the US is NOT a perennial champion, she is- at the very least- a perennial contender.

NOW, Blue. Please, as Kelly requested, name for me another country that continually dominates EVERY sport...That's right, there isn't one. Now, Blue. Please name for ME, another country which is a perennial contender in EVERY sport...That's right, only the United States is.

Now if you want to open the debate to include the narrowing gap between the United States and "the world," by all means. I think said narrowing is hard to ignore, it's a black cloud on our domination horizon, but it was inevitable. The debate, however, is a debate which transcends sports thanks largely to a six-year productivtiy drought on Capitol Hill-but that's a different story all together!

Wow! Upsetting your cherished assumptions was great fun! But the cat does get tired of toying with half-dead mice after awhile. Not one of you has pointed to any recent American team victory internationally, which is exactly what my point was from the start...

So, sayonara for now.

But before I go, you guys have proved one thing. While the American athlete is an also-ran internationally, the American intellect, if represented by your replies, can't even find its way to the starting line.

Your replies have descended to the intellectual level of armpit farts. But armpit farts are also great fun. So, thanks!

So let me get this straight, you complain that "the American athlete" sucks compared to other countries athletes, but only count "team victories" which aren't even America's best athletes after people giving you 274 reasons why American athletes are still great and overall the best in the world. I think we need a new acronym around here, "The Tot", as in The Tard of Tards".

I guess I am failing to see the point in this post. If the point is that American sports teams and individuals are competitive but do not always win, then name a country that does always have winners?

English Soccer? Not always.

Russian Gymnastics? Not always.

Canadian Hockey? Not always.

USA Basketball? Not always.

So the point is that no country is always a dominate force. So why blast American sports?