Best SB quarterbacks?

I didn't see many of those guys play, but I did see Elway several times. I'd slide him waaay down. I give Terrell Davis and Mike Shanahan a whole lot more credit for those Super Bowl wins than I do Elway. Yeah he was gritty and he led them to wins, but I still think he is one great coach and RB away from being remembered as Jim Kelly-Lite in Super Bowl terms.

I hate to name Dolphins and Cowboys, but Griese and Aikman maybe?

Jim Plunkett should probably be there as well. He had two terrific superbowls.

Good call on Plunkett...

"Overheard in Miami

News & notes from Super Bowl XLI

COMPILED BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

'Five quarterbacks have passer ratings of more than 100.0 in Super Bowl play. They are:

Player Yds TD INT Rat.

Joe Montana 1,142 11 0 127.8

Jim Plunkett 433 4 0 122.8

Terry Bradshaw 932 9 4 112.8

Troy Aikman 689 5 1 111.9

Bart Starr 452 3 1 106.0' "...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../701300375/1066

Off the top of my head and for what its worth:

1. Terry Bradshaw

2. Tom Brady (Blech!!!!)

3. Joe Montana

4. John Elway

5. Joe Namath

6, Roger Staubach

7. Doug Williams

anyone else jump to mind? Obvious misses? Disagree with the pics?

My order would be:

1. Montana

2. Brady (double blech!!!!)

3. Bradshaw

4. Staubach

5. Elway

6. Starr

7. One Hit Wonders

<edit> :wallbash: shoulda read other posts first...I would slide Plunkett in at #3.

1. Terry Bradshaw

2. Tom Brady (Blech!!!!)

3. Joe Montana

4. John Elway

5. Joe Namath

6, Roger Staubach

7. Doug Williams

Steve Young and Kurt Warner I'd give a nod for best single-game performances.

And I'm not sure Elway belongs in the list. Everyone remembers two Superbowl wins. Nobody remembers his three losses, it seems, or that he was mediocre at best (I'd say terrible, myself) in at least three of his five Superbowls...

...although playing in five Superbowls is in itself an accomplishment. Maybe he needs to be on the "best" and "worst" lists simultaneously...

1. Terry Bradshaw

2. Tom Brady (Blech!!!!)

3. Joe Montana

4. John Elway

5. Joe Namath

6, Roger Staubach

7. Doug Williams

Aikman and Montana were near flawless in multiple SB performances. I would rate them highest, with strong considereation given to Tom Brady. Aikman and Montana played on more dominant teams, while Brady, with some warts, won in more pressurized situations.

Elway (my favorite non-Bills QB "great") was not stellar, except in the last one. If you want one game performers, you also have to include Steve Young and Mark Rypien...

My memory is a little hazy...didn't Warner throw a late game pick, that helpled keep the Patriots in that game?

No, he threw an early pick, while being whacked in the head by a Patriot blitzer. All season that would have been a personal foul, but that afternoon it was a Ty Law interception and the first TD for the Patriots, on their way to tucking that Super Bowl away...

Of course, the officials provided a late make-up call with a phantom holding on willie mcGinest that nullified a fumble recovery and helped the Rams tie the game....

One thing to consider in Elway's defense: none of his first three SB trips would have happened if he hadn't carried those teams there. I'd compare those '80s Broncos squads to Buffalo's '92 team -- we didn't even win the division, needed a historic "Comeback" to get out of the wildcard round, and were badly overmatched against the Cowboys in SB XXVII. Elway wasn't to blame for letting Simms complete 22 of 25 passes, or being shredded by Doug Williams or the Montana-to-Rice combo. (Combined halftime scores of those last two games: 62-13, with no defensive touchdowns.)

Just my opinion... and FWIW, I don't even like Elway.