Why Do People Think The Patriots Will Always Fade?

Do I hype the Patriots all year long? No, but seriously, they were a third and three completion away from sitting on the ball, kicking the field goal and going to the Bowl to most likely beat the Bears. I just don't understand where all these Jets Bills threads taking over the East come from <_<

Let's wait until the Bills can actually beat New England for once before giving them the division.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I hype the Patriots all year long? No, but seriously, they were a third and three completion away from sitting on the ball, kicking the field goal and going to the Bowl to most likely beat the Bears. I just don't understand where all these Jets Bills threads taking over the East come from :worthy:

Let's wait until the Bills can actually beat New England for once before giving them the division.

I don't think they will fade away but they are surely not what they were in 2003 or 2004. You say they were a "third and three completion away from sitting on the ball, kicking the field goal and going to the Bowl" ... well they were also a Philip Rivers interception away from not being in the AFC Championship at all. It goes both ways. The teams of '03 and '04, were a team you feared. They were almost guaranteed to make the SB. Its not like that now. It looks as if half the crowd is all over the Patsies Balls and the other half wants to live in an illusion.

P.S. The Bills were one non JP safety away from beating the Patsies. <_<

Don't tell that to some on this board, who feel he's a "system qb" who has only luck on his side.

<_<

I used to think that also....but luck only goes so far...consistant luck is not luck. He does it with nobodys which makes it even more impressive.

Don't tell that to some on this board, who feel he's a "system qb" who has only luck on his side.

:)

I use to think this also (along with TOMCAT), I since have changed my mind. I do still believe that Manning is the better QB though, but we have already had that debate.

I used to think that also....but luck only goes so far...consistant luck is not luck. He does it with nobodys which makes it even more impressive.

I love the "he has done it with nobody" arguement, that every Patriot fan brings up. It is simply funny. As if Charlie Weiss, Bill Belichick, Dillon, Branch, Givens, Graham, Watson ... etc are just nobody's. Let me just re-post something I posted in another topic related to this:

I see Tom Brady as a player who gets some credit he does not deserve and some people don't give Manning the credit he DOES deserve. Lets be honest ... how well does anyone think Brady would do in a long-rage full field type of offense? The type of offense Manning has mastered. Looking at his porous stats in the long passing game, I would guess he would not do as well. At the same time, we have seen Manning master the long game and also do well in the short game. A lot of people talk about Brady's 2 minute drill and how he can take a team down the field. Has anyone seen Manning in a two-minute drill? The guy is amazing and personally, I cant help but think that he is an even better 2 minute QB than Brady. In fact a buddy made a comment towards the end of the 1st half of the Pats-Colts game when Manning started to do well with only a few minutes left before halftime... he said "Jeez, the Colts coaches should just tell Manning that there is only 2 minutes to go every time he touches the ball" ... the difference is that Brady has done his 2-minute drill bit in the SB and AFC championship games and that obviously gets more exposure than Manning's regular season, game by game by game 2 minute drill that is fantastic. That is NOT a knock against Brady. I'm just saying that Manning is just as good at it, if not better.

A lot of people refer to the fact that the Colts struggled against the Pats in the playoffs in the first 1/2 of Manning's career. I don't think I'm one to usually complain about the refs but what Ty Law and Co. did to the Colts receivers a few years ago without any penalties called was AMAZING! The Colts receivers were being mugged downfield, and yet everyone was wondering why Manning was picked off a lot. Well duh! When your receivers are being pushed/shoved 20 yards downfield, of course they are not going to be able to run their routes! Again. NOT a knock against Brady. A knock against the Refs/Pats defense.

Next people bring up the subject of SB rings, and that Brady is the superior QB because he has the SB rings. Personally I NEVER understood, even BEFORE Manning/Brady debate came around. I don't understand how ONE player is better, because his TEAM won a game and another players TEAM didn't. Last time I checked, Football is a TEAM game. One player could be an all-star, but if the whole team is not up to a good enough level than that ONE all-star player is not going to get a ring. Example: Is Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino because Dilfer has a ring and Marino does not?

Put it this way. I *personally* believe if Manning and Brady were on completely different teams since 2000, Manning would have the 3 SB rings, Brady would have 0, and Manning would STILL be in next weeks Super Bowl. Thats my opinion.

Its seems now-a-days whenever you bring up Brady or Manning in a good way, it must mean that you are discrediting the other player.

Do I hype the Patriots all year long? No, but seriously, they were a third and three completion away from sitting on the ball, kicking the field goal and going to the Bowl to most likely beat the Bears. I just don't understand where all these Jets Bills threads taking over the East come from :)

But that is why they play the game.....May be the rookie kicker would have missed the game winning kick.....

And going back to your analogy, they could have missed all their other 3 superbowls due to one play.

Do I hype the Patriots all year long? No, but seriously, they were a third and three completion away from sitting on the ball, kicking the field goal and going to the Bowl to most likely beat the Bears. I just don't understand where all these Jets Bills threads taking over the East come from :)

Maybe it's because the Patriots looked plain bad against the Chargers and the Colts. They were beyond lucky in the San Diego game and then they get beat by a Colts team they had down by 18 points. I saw a team running on fumes which lacked the talent of Superbowls past. There are severe cracks that will only get wider when Harrison, Bruschi and Samuels walk out the door before the 2007 opener. The Bills still have major flaws also, but I can see why many here feel the time has come for the Jets and Bills to overtake the Pats. The Bills still have a lot of work to do upgrading the talent along both lines before they can pass the Pats, but I do think the Bills will be at least as good as them.

I think with a lot of us it's more of a hope that they fade, but there are definitely some signs that they aren't what they used to be. Bruschi, Vrabel, and Dillon are slowing down, they'll probably lose Asante Samuel, and their DL isn't getting any younger.

Their run is not very different than that of the Yankees in the late 90s/early 2000s - they're not the favorites anymore to win every game and seem to be pulling some out of their arse. I think some teams exposed them early in 2006. They were the better team against the Jets in the playoffs, but only beat SD because of mistakes made by the Chargers.

That said, I don't see any reason to believe they won't win the AFC East next year, but it's very possible that the Bills and Jets could make things closer than usual.

Maybe it's because the Patriots looked plain bad against the Chargers and the Colts. They were beyond lucky in the San Diego game and then they get beat by a Colts team they had down by 18 points. I saw a team running on fumes which lacked the talent of Superbowls past. There are severe cracks that will only get wider when Harrison, Bruschi and Samuels walk out the door before the 2007 opener. The Bills still have major flaws also, but I can see why many here feel the time has come for the Jets and Bills to overtake the Pats. The Bills still have a lot of work to do upgrading the talent along both lines before they can pass the Pats, but I do think the Bills will be at least as good as them.

The Pats still have a decent OL - a bunch of high-motor white guys for those who like to bring such up - and a QB with a quick mind and useful if not top-shelf rush avoidance skills.

As long as that remains in effect, they will still be playoff contenders - same as MIA in years past with Marino and that bunch in front of him.

Simple answer to the thread title question:

BECAUSE WE WANT THEM TO.

I suppose that sums it up. I know I will be hoping the same thing. I can just see it now though. Patriots get thumped by somebody 35-3 opening day and then battle to get to 5-4 and then run the table. Why does it seem like freakin' 'Groundhog Day' every year

I think with a lot of us it's more of a hope that they fade, but there are definitely some signs that they aren't what they used to be. Bruschi, Vrabel, and Dillon are slowing down, they'll probably lose Asante Samuel, and their DL isn't getting any younger.

Their run is not very different than that of the Yankees in the late 90s/early 2000s - they're not the favorites anymore to win every game and seem to be pulling some out of their arse. I think some teams exposed them early in 2006. They were the better team against the Jets in the playoffs, but only beat SD because of mistakes made by the Chargers.

That said, I don't see any reason to believe they won't win the AFC East next year, but it's very possible that the Bills and Jets could make things closer than usual.

Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Jarvis Green and Mike Wright are all in their 20's. In fact, their OLDEST D-Lineman is 28.

Bruschi and Dillon are definately slowing down, Vrabel is still solid and they may or MAY NOT lose Samuel. I'll even grant you that Rodney Harrison is slowing down and becoming more injury prone.

The fact is, they draft well and more often than not, make solid free agent moves so theres no reason to believe that they wont reload for next year's run.