Just when I think I cant screw something up more

I am a military veteran.....when I was a airman basic I along with everyone else at the time signed up for the Montgomery GI bill along with everyone else....thinkng that someday I would go back and finish up my degree when I was a civilian again.....

Soooo.....what happens.......kids...wife...job...etc etc etc.....and I dont go back. Besides what I figure I really need to do is get a part time job to supplement my income.....I mean an extra 500-600 a month would really help to pay bills......start that retirement investment fund I keep saying I am going to do...etc etc

So anyway about 3 weeks ago I have a nephew who I am steering towards the Air Force because it was very good to me....learn a skill, see the world, get money for college...yada yada yada

So I wake up one morning and say "and just to show you I mean it I am going to go back and finish my degree part time" then I find out 2 things....

- I have about 2 1/2 years worth of GI BILL left and then it expires.......

- They are going to pay me to go to college.....$500 for 6 units, $800 for 9 units, and a little over 1K if I can find a way to take a 12 unit full load

- Going to school WAS my part time job....2 birds with one stone.

Sooooooo the glass is half full or half empty

- Am I a smuck for not taking advatange of ALL of my GI BILL (I could have been doing this much sooner)?

- Should I feel fortunate that for the next 2 1/2 years I can take advantage of this benefit?

- Am I a smuck for not taking advatange of ALL of my GI BILL (I could have been doing this much sooner)?

- Should I feel fortunate that for the next 2 1/2 years I can take advantage of this benefit?

Are you kidding me John? Of course the glass is half-full... Why the heck would you regret what happened in the past?

So door #2 all the way.

The other question is, is the money above and beyond what it costs to attend... You still gotta pay tuition, etc...?

- They are going to pay me to go to college.....$500 for 6 units, $800 for 9 units, and a little over 1K if I can find a way to take a 12 unit full load

Still agree it is 2 birds with one stone, but maybe not in the way you see it?

Here's to success and good luck!

take what they give you...anything is better than nothing...good luck

I am a military veteran.....when I was a airman basic I along with everyone else at the time signed up for the Montgomery GI bill along with everyone else....thinkng that someday I would go back and finish up my degree when I was a civilian again.....

Soooo.....what happens.......kids...wife...job...etc etc etc.....and I dont go back. Besides what I figure I really need to do is get a part time job to supplement my income.....I mean an extra 500-600 a month would really help to pay bills......start that retirement investment fund I keep saying I am going to do...etc etc

So anyway about 3 weeks ago I have a nephew who I am steering towards the Air Force because it was very good to me....learn a skill, see the world, get money for college...yada yada yada

So I wake up one morning and say "and just to show you I mean it I am going to go back and finish my degree part time" then I find out 2 things....

With the soaring cost of an education, you should take full advantage of whatever you have left. I would do whatever is takes to take the full time load. The high costs are the only thing keeping me from pursuing my Bachelor's. I am assuming you are working a late shift or something due to the 3am post. Get a good education and look for the cushy 9 to 5 job...

number 2. You live with one foot in the past and one foot in the future you end up pissing on today. You got the Bill now, use it and go for the gusto with NO regrets!

Do you have a book of poetry published? I likey!

Hey, that is great that you can get a cash grab while going to school. Can all of the military take advantage of that? If so, that is a sweet deal. Good for you.

Ok Bud,

You need to take advantage of this now. Remember that the MGIB expires 10 years after you get off active duty. You can definitly make money off it if your tuition costs are low or you have grants and stuff. I know when I joined it was 19,400 and now it has crested 38,000 and since I'm still on active duty I get all the increases. The University of Phoenix is an online college that makes an education for military members very very easy to obtain. They will even take your stuff from when you were in and give you credits for that too. Thats classes you don't have to take and money you can pocket.

As for your nephew,

Have him talk to ALL the branches and see what fits him best. We all have something different to offer depending on individual wants and needs. Things have changed alot since you were in ie: tuition assistance now covers 100% vice the 75% it covered when you were in. etc etc.

If you have any questions about anything at all please feel free to contact me.

And if you haven't figured it out yet I am a Navy Recruiter!

Let me know if I can help

Steve

Also, take advantage of summer sessions and I'll second the online education idea. You might be able to fit in more than 2 1/2 years of college education into the actual time frame by doing so. It can help you take on more than you thought you could. Obviously it depends on the instructor and how suitable the material is for online study.

Tell your nephew to join the Air Force. The navy is fine until they find out he's heterosexual...and God knows what the marines are up to these days. :)

No Love at all. try the link and you'll see. This is the best recruiting ad that will never be released!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-97C7vC1ye0&eurl