30 years ago

Wacka

How is the weather today in WNY?... There was a weak "Clipper" coming through... Not that cold though, about 12.0 degrees F now (it was 5 on Sunday morning)... The alee side of Lake Michigan from Porter/LaPorte counties in Indiana up to Michigan are/were/did supposed to get pounded... Cars on the road coming from that area looked like a "snow cube"...

The low came through pretty fast though and is in the Mid-Atlantic states now...

How is the weather today in WNY?... There was a weak "Clipper" coming through... Not that cold though, about 12.0 degrees F now (it was 5 on Sunday morning)... The alee side of Lake Michigan from Porter/LaPorte counties in Indiana up to Michigan are/were/did supposed to get pounded... Cars on the road coming from that area looked like a "snow cube"...

The low came through pretty fast though and is in the Mid-Atlantic states now...

No snow in the city but really south of the city(Boston, Angola etc..) I think are getting hit pretty hard right now. Very cold, 15 degrees, this time of year I always question myself why I stick around here. It hurts even to go outside.

I read an interesting article that you maybe interested in Sunday considering you live in Illinois. Some scientist believe due to Global Warming that by the year 2030 the state of Illinois will have very similar weather to places like Arkansas & Alabama. Pretty interesting stuff.

Member of Bowmansville VFD at that time. Stuck at station for 4 days. Slept on the hose bed of one of the engines. Wound up walking home with my Dad who came back from the city. That was as far as he got. At the intersection of Pleasant View and Harris Hill I could touch the signal light.

The FD had approx 450 people bunkered in in the banquet hall. Wound up breaking into a Wonder bread truck stuck on the Thruway to get some supplies.

The second Alberta "Clipper" is already past... The third one is getting ready to come on down with the low still out there in the west of Canada...

This third one will bring the coldest air of the season... Later in the week and through the weekend, ACTUAL lows will be around 0 to -5...

With these recent blasts... The sh*t ditch is freezing hard, with the lake still down... There is very little "head" or difference to move the water... Basically, we are keeping the gates running every hour and the compressors and bubblers going to keep the ice down...

Ice code is: 09F04E05... That is 9/10ths coverage, formed locally, 4 inches thick, 5 miles in extent...

Here are some pics after some recent tows made it through this morning (still pushing the usual 6-8 barges, approx. 700'-900'x70'):

Upper Pool

Lower Pool