Say Good-bye to Blitzburg

Max997

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732197

I cant see them hiring a defensive coach and not have him run his own system. I find this very surpring that they would change Philosophy like this.

what did Tomlin do in Minnesota during his one year there that makes him such a hot commodity anyway. Their defense started out ok but struggled at the end of the season, yeah they were good against the run but Tomlin was lucky already having onew of the best DT duo's in the league when he got there

I just dont get it, they must have really wanted Whisenhunt ( spelling ) but he grew tired of waiting

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what lost Grimm the job. He had to be the top guy. Could Tomlin have wowed them that much? I agree, Max, it's not like the Viks' D was the '85 Bears this season.

Maybe the way of Pittsburgh's defense played had more to the decision. As one could argue the reason for the downfall of the offense was due to BIG Ben's injuries and could be rectified next year when he's healthy. Whereas the defense which was considered the strength of the 2005 team took a few steps back this year. Not to mention I'm sure former Steeler alum and a highly respected head coach named Tony Dungy likely gave Nolan a glowing review.

Where have we heard this before?

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers and, like Cowher in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

He must have went to the Gregg Williams school of interviewing. :D :D

didnt the vikes run the same defense we did this year? the tampa 2? i think so... weird.

maybe we should try to get a guy like pat williams on the bills... :D

and as good as the Vikes were on rush D they were conversely just as bad on pass D (31st in the NFL) and even gave up more points per game then us despite playing the dreaded Lions two times but I know you'd rather have a CB like Winfield instead of Clements right?

Count me in as someone is is not "wowed" by the choice of Tomlin.

There is certainly pressure on Rooney to hire a minority candidate considering

there is the infamous "Rooney Rule" in the league that so often only gets paid lip service too.

Tomlin only has one year of experience as a coordinator and runs the cover two....Yikes....(insert smiley holding a couple of red flags)

They have enjoyed great success under Cowher and he always put together solid staff's.Those are some big shoes to fill to put it mildly.

Pittsburgh might be going down the road we have been on since our glory years.... and it's not a fun road to be on.

what did Tomlin do in Minnesota during his one year there that makes him such a hot commodity anyway.

That's the same thing I asked when the Vikings had their worst year under Dennis Green in 1995 (his only playoff miss there ?) because of a lack of defense. Tony Dungy was the coordinater and still got the Tampa Bay job. Quality can be identified.

I played ball with Mikey when I was a kid. I haven't spoken with him in probably 15 yrs. I haven't a clue at whether he'll make a good head coach or not, but i wish him the best. He's without a doubt the hardest working man I've ever met. Good luck bro!

and as good as the Vikes were on rush D they were conversely just as bad on pass D (31st in the NFL) and even gave up more points per game then us despite playing the dreaded Lions two times but I know you'd rather have a CB like Winfield instead of Clements right?

Defending and playing the Lions offense twice last season is about 20 times harder than playing and defending Miami......twice.

Just playing devils advocate.

not at all. i liked winfield when he was here because we had horrible LBs and SOMEONE needed to make a tackle(see: eddie robinson vs chad pennington). but was more than willing to let him walk once we signed guys like Fletcher and Spikes. but you make a good point, we MUST re-sign Nate Clements. and then if we improve the interior, we're all set....

any other awesome ideas you'd like to give me credit for??

and my point had nothing to do with their passing game, just making an observation about their DTs who "dont fit the scheme" and their success

That's the same thing I asked when the Vikings had their worst year under Dennis Green in 1995 (his only playoff miss there ?) because of a lack of defense. Tony Dungy was the coordinater and still got the Tampa Bay job. Quality can be identified.

And Lovie Smith was the *Rams* defensive coordinator. The job of the Head Coach is not to be an über-coordinator, its to be a HEAD COACH. Its folly to evaluate a potential Head Coach on the basis of their performance as a coordinator....

JDG

I wonder what lost Grimm the job. He had to be the top guy. Could Tomlin have wowed them that much? I agree, Max, it's not like the Viks' D was the '85 Bears this season.

The real question in my mind is what lost Whisenhunt the job... I always thought that he was going to be the guy there once Cowher left, and he didn't take the Cardinals job because he thought that he was still a candidate in Pittsburgh....

JDG

The real question in my mind is what lost Whisenhunt the job... I always thought that he was going to be the guy there once Cowher left, and he didn't take the Cardinals job because he thought that he was still a candidate in Pittsburgh....

JDG

i actualy think it was the steelers that lost whisenhunt. he saw a good opportunity in arizona and didnt want to wait around for them to make a decision. why wait around when youre STILL a candidate? they either want you or they dont, and arizona pulled the trigger.