Why Can't We Sign Nate?

He will become an unrestricted free agent, so he is absolutely free to go whereever he wants. I wonder if he will give the Bills the chance to match. Anybody remember Cornelius "Benedict Arnold" Bennett, who promised he'd give the Bills the right to match, so don't bother tagging me....and then just signed with Atlanta?

What Nate and the Bills agreed to last year was a mutual risk. Nate was coming off a pretty bad year, and he wasn't going to get market value. The Bills were willing to pay him the Franchise Tag amount for a one year deal, and he went out and had himself a pretty good year. Did he make the Pro Bowl? No. Did he make All-Pro? No. Then why does he think he should be the highest paid corner in the league?

I'd make him a really good offer, and hope to sign him. Maybe 5 years, 42 million or something. If that won't work, tell him good luck...if you don't mind, run the numbers past us before you sign, we want you on the team, but that's what we have right now.

And see what happens. Will somebody pay him the huge dollars? He had a really good year. Not a great year.

He will become an unrestricted free agent, so he is absolutely free to go whereever he wants. I wonder if he will give the Bills the chance to match. Anybody remember Cornelius "Benedict Arnold" Bennett, who promised he'd give the Bills the right to match, so don't bother tagging me....and then just signed with Atlanta?

What Nate and the Bills agreed to last year was a mutual risk. Nate was coming off a pretty bad year, and he wasn't going to get market value. The Bills were willing to pay him the Franchise Tag amount for a one year deal, and he went out and had himself a pretty good year. Did he make the Pro Bowl? No. Did he make All-Pro? No. Then why does he think he should be the highest paid corner in the league?

I'd make him a really good offer, and hope to sign him. Maybe 5 years, 42 million or something. If that won't work, tell him good luck...if you don't mind, run the numbers past us before you sign, we want you on the team, but that's what we have right now.

And see what happens. Will somebody pay him the huge dollars? He had a really good year. Not a great year.

He had a good year and widely considered one of the top 5 CBs in the league and still in his prime. To me you franchise him again as he's really worth the money. I truly think many have people have forgotten what was like before with Ken Irvin starting at CB albeit he was starting with Antoine Winfield but I still don't think Winfield's in Nate's class.

First, I think we've turned the corner a little in Buffalo, had we lost the last half of the season, I'd say he has a point, we suck. but every sign is showing the pride returning, Royal makes that catch, we don't lose to detroit earlier in the season, and we have ourselves a playoff team. And where might he be going? washington? and they are so much better, they have more questions about their QB then we do. and worse they have gregg williams.

and I am hoping that IF New england wins the super bowl this year, Samuels is MVP, it will make him the hot CB, and he went to UCF. (orlando)

I think that we'll see Nate Clements become the 2nd highest paid CB behind Champ Bailey.

Will he be playing for the Buffalo Bills? I hope so but I don't see it happening, Ralph will not spend the money, his griping for the last year or so proves that.

Does Nate deserve the money given his Moulds like "every other year I'll show up and play" approach? I don't think he does, heck it's kind of depressing that he only showed up during the last 8 games of the season this year. You have to wonder if he has great ability and just simply makes the choice to show up with his 'A' game.

What happens if the Bills give him a big comfy contract as the highest paid CB? Does he only play hard when he wants to?

What happens if the Bills give him a big comfy contract as the highest paid CB? Does he only play hard when he wants to?

That is a good question. Something else to be asked is what does Mr. Wilson do with the money if we do NOT sign Nate. At 36 (or possibly more) million below the cap, there is room for Ralph to sign Nate AND Steinbach. If Nate walks, there is ample room for the Bills to get any player they want, even if it means overpaying.

I wonder what the minimum is wrt the cap in the new CBA.

I am hoping that IF New england wins the super bowl this year, Samuels is MVP, it will make him the hot CB, and he went to UCF. (orlando)

It took a moment to realize why you were pointing out that Samuels is a UCF alum then I saw where you were posting from. I was on the fence about keeping Nate beyond this year at the beginning of the season, however his play really improved and it looked like he got it together. If they can't re-sign Clements, I would love to see the Bills go after Asante for two reasons. First, Asante is a playmaker, second it would be taking away one of New England's better players. In theory, f Samuels has the type of post season you are hoping for, it would drive up the price of both players.

ps. If it came down to it would rather see New England's other UCF player be MVP, just because it would be so out of left filed for it to happen.

The better your defensive line is the better your cornerbacks tend to be!

If it comes to breaking the bank to keep Nate I say don't do it. If you can get a suitable replacement via the draft and 2 players for the same cost then there's your answer.

Hell, it's not my money, break the bank for him!

I think Nate only becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent if The Bills don't make him an offer first that will make him a

non-exclusive franchise player.

That should be relatively easy to do. Nate will still be free to shop his wares around the league, but at least the team will get compensated if they don't match the offer.

I can see where Marv would agree to not place the "Exclusive Franchise Player" tag on Nate again, but why should we just let him walk if we're willing to pony up the going rate at the Non-Exclusive Franchise Player salary level?

Somebody tell me I'm wrong, so I can get on with my life. I have a magazine rack to clear out and my sock drawer is in desparate need of reorganizing.

If Nate was gonna sign with the Bills it would have happened already. Clearly he intends to test the market, and once he does that he's gone. I really don't understand why anyone on this Board thinks it's still a possibility that Nate will be a Bill next year. There is no way. None. He's gone.

The fact is that this situation was screwed up years ago - the Bills should have signed Nate to an extension in '04. That's what the Eagles would've done.

If Nate was gonna sign with the Bills it would have happened already. Clearly he intends to test the market, and once he does that he's gone. I really don't understand why anyone on this Board thinks it's still a possibility that Nate will be a Bill next year. There is no way. None. He's gone.

The fact is that this situation was screwed up years ago - the Bills should have signed Nate to an extension in '04. That's what the Eagles would've done.

I agree with you there. But I think technically speaking if Marv only OFFERS Nate a contract = top 5 CBs OR 120% of his current salary - then he's a non-exclusive Frachise Player. That way at least The Bills will get compensation when he signs for more money elsewhere and The Bills don't match Sneeder's largess. I think this is correct, and I do think Nate will not be a Bill - but if we can get 2 #1s for simply making him AN OFFER, then Marv would be senile to do otherwise. :D

I agree with you there. But I think technically speaking if Marv only OFFERS Nate a contract = top 5 CBs OR 120% of his current salary - then he's a non-exclusive Frachise Player. That way at least The Bills will get compensation when he signs for more money elsewhere and The Bills don't match Sneeder's largess. I think this is correct, and I do think Nate will not be a Bill - but if we can get 2 #1s for simply making him AN OFFER, then Marv would be senile to do otherwise. ;)

Nanker good points, to be honest I forgot about the two designations of franchise players. I think naming Nate a non-exclusive franchise player will allow him to "test" the market and at the same time allow us to match an offer but if lost would gain two 1st Rounders.