PFW Article About The Bills

It really burns me up that a Huge city like Chicago had a record crowd on Sunday of 62,184. That's roughly 12,000 seats fewer than the Ralph. I mean come on? If Buffalo had to fill 62,184 each week it would be much more attainable. I would be OK if the team had to raise prices $5 bucks per seat to get that done.

How about San Diego on Sunday? 68,810. Baltimore had a RECORD crowd of 71,162. That's still 3,000 fewer than Buffalo and we know how hard it is to sell those last 3,000 to 5,000 seats up here. I realize the bottom line is those stadiums have much more season ticket base but still....we are getting the shaft up here with having to sell 74K each week.

It really burns me up that a Huge city like Chicago had a record crowd on Sunday of 62,184. That's roughly 12,000 seats fewer than the Ralph. I mean come on? If Buffalo had to fill 62,184 each week it would be much more attainable. I would be OK if the team had to raise prices $5 bucks per seat to get that done.

How about San Diego on Sunday? 68,810. Baltimore had a RECORD crowd of 71,162. That's still 3,000 fewer than Buffalo and we know how hard it is to sell those last 3,000 to 5,000 seats up here. I realize the bottom line is those stadiums have much more season ticket base but still....we are getting the shaft up here with having to sell 74K each week.

Also a good point. Tarp off seats, no more blackouts.

[quote name='zonabb' date='Jan 16 2007, 09:01 AM' post='89320

When does the team and management take some responsibility and accountability for not giving people a reason to come to games? It’s not enough that it’s our identity to some extent and that the game atmosphere is fun, winning matters.

Win and the house fills. Continue to suck and it doesn’t. And if that means leaving, fine, go lose somewhere else and cheat some other people out of their money.

Well, if what you're saying is true, and I hope its not- WNY sports fans are a truly fair weather lot. One of the most interesting things about sport is that the unpredictable happens. Otherwise, why would we watch? But winning can be like catching lightning in a bottle. When its going good, everything seems to fall together, when its not it seems impossible to get out of. Sure, every team would love to be able to say " buy our tickets because we're winning this year" but it's not that easy. And its not about spending money or being cheap, not in the NFL anyways. Look at the Redskins and Dan Snyder. You can't purchase success. I believe the Bills are trying their best to win, but the NFL draft is a crapshoot and snake eyes has come up too often in the teams recent past. Simple as that. Not enough good players drafted = losing. But they've started to turn it around, and things are looking up for the first time in quite a while.

So I hope you're wrong. Because if you're not,the Bills are as good as gone. I go to Bills games because I love football, and a good hockey team doesn't fill that void at all. They don't play the same game! A third tier sport like hockey will never supplant football.It's a curiosity, a sidebar. Off the radar screen of 90% of the sporting country. Outdrawn by the likes of the WNBA and World Poker tour in TV ratings. But if your sentiment is that of most sports fans in Buffalo, then maybe all we are is a third tier sports town. One that throws its sporting dollar at the small time when the big top act hits a rough spot.

Also a good point. Tarp off seats, no more blackouts.

Exactly. Tarp off 12,000 seats. Put big advertisments on the tarps, get more revenue for team. Any seats still left unsold, Ralph buy - put money from right pocket into left pocket, give tickets to orphans, get tax reduction.

Problem solved. Next issue.

having lived in a few other cities (miami, philly and now atlanta) i can say that there is practically NO marketing for the bills in buffalo.

not sure whether ralph just never needed any before or if he never thought of it and got lucky. but in all these cities, their teams are cross marketed with the other major league teams, theres waaay more public appearance and promotional stuff going on, and it all reaches out farther than buffalo to toronto.

just an observation

edit: although i agree, the best marketing is a good tema on the field. sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

Jacksonville didn't sell out a single game last year. They just tarped over whole sections of their stadium. If the NFL is OK with the Jags doing that, they can't be too concerned about attendence.

Talk about a vague statement from an anonymous source. The word is there are alarm bells? What the Hell does it exactly mean, other than somebody who probably didn't watch a single Bills game last year had to fill in some column space.