Need info on overseas electrical outlets

Just Jack

Going to Australia in less than 3 weeks, now from my understanding, since they use 240V/50HZ, if my electronic gear (laptop, portable DVD player, chargers for camera/camcorder) adapters show that as an input, I can just buy a plug converter, and not a full blown power adapter, correct?

Going to Australia in less than 3 weeks, now from my understanding, since they use 240V/50HZ, if my electronic gear (laptop, portable DVD player, chargers for camera/camcorder) adapters show that as an input, I can just buy a plug converter, and not a full blown power adapter, correct?

I was just there this fall, get the adapter and use it, a girl I travelled with didnt use it and blew out her curling iron. I had a universal one I got at a souvenir store near where the ships come in to Sydney harbor, 12 bucks Australian (10 US) and it will allow for 2 items at a time, another solution is to use an adapter and a conventional power strip. You can use tha adapter to connect the power strip, then plug cell phones and laptops into the power strip.

240, 241, whatever it takes

My experience is that items such as laptops that have their own AC adapter (not just a cord, but a brick-like adapter that sits between the cable from the outlet and the device - you know what I mean) and these adapters will do just fine in in accepting different voltages/currents from overseas (provided you get the correct physical adapter plugs to be able to plug it in).

Where you get problems is with devices that plug directly into the wall, particularly those items that have a high wattage - hair dryers, curling irons, shavers, etc. - those can and do fry easily.

I was just there this fall, get the adapter and use it, a girl I travelled with didnt use it and blew out her curling iron. I had a universal one I got at a souvenir store near where the ships come in to Sydney harbor, 12 bucks Australian (10 US) and it will allow for 2 items at a time, another solution is to use an adapter and a conventional power strip. You can use tha adapter to connect the power strip, then plug cell phones and laptops into the power strip.

I may just try that power strip and adapter idea.

240, 241, whatever it takes

Hey Poojer, run down to the warehouse and tell me if this item will take a standard three prong plug, or just two prongs.

My experience is that items such as laptops that have their own AC adapter (not just a cord, but a brick-like adapter that sits between the cable from the outlet and the device - you know what I mean) and these adapters will do just fine in in accepting different voltages/currents from overseas (provided you get the correct physical adapter plugs to be able to plug it in).

That's pretty much everything I'm bringing, has it's own power adapter. I still have to check, but I do know for sure my laptop adapter says it'll do 240/50.

Best advice!

• 3 weeks later...