"Trusting" Marv

The Big Cat

Based on the overall consensus of this board, the draft should focus on at least one of the following positions RB, WR, OG, DT, CB, MLB, TE, or FB. This means that at least one person will be unhappy with the road the Bills take. But I think in 2007, unlike in 2006, the direction of the team is apparent and just about any pick in the first round can be justified. I personally think the Bills had an AWESOME draft 2006. Granted, the rookies who played played out of neccesity and they weren't enough of an impact to garnish a winning record but honestly? They weren't a calamity waiting to happen, and in most cases they made positive impacts more often than negative ones.

Did Marv and co. get lucky with this group or are they just that good at finding talent? IMO the success of the 2006 rookies will take a TON of heat off the inevitable backlash which (mark my words) WILL occur on draft day. I don't see myself being dissapointed with anybody this current organization brings in. Does everyone else here think that they will be paitient enought to find good in whatever the front office deems fit for the future?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first, I was mad about our picks because we passed on superstars, or what seemed to be, but they picked well in hindsight. Is it possible Marv, like NE's people, found guys who just want to play? He selected guys with who want to work hard, and guys with major chips on their shoulders because they were selected later than they thought they would be (Ashton and Ko). A whole team of those type guys could go far.

The first year for a rebuilding GM is usually good...Since there are so many holes on the team, the drafted players will get to start and play a lot and hence it would look we had an excellent draft. This is true with Marvs first draft and was also true for Donahoe draft (TDs first draft picked Clements, Travis Henry, Schoebel, Jonas Jennings, in that order). One difference was those rookies still ended the season on a 3-13 note however this team finished 7-9.

The second year draft defines the GM the best. There are not many holes to fill and you have to chose the rights players who can come in and make the impact. TD had a prettyaverage 2nd draft picking MIke Williams, Josh Reed, Justin Bannan and Coy Wire....While Reed and Wire are still with the team, they are not superstars. Marv will have to get this 2nd draft correctly so that they can continue their upswing.

The first year for a rebuilding GM is usually good...Since there are so many holes on the team, the drafted players will get to start and play a lot and hence it would look we had an excellent draft. This is true with Marvs first draft and was also true for Donahoe draft (TDs first draft picked Clements, Travis Henry, Schoebel, Jonas Jennings, in that order). One difference was those rookies still ended the season on a 3-13 note however this team finished 7-9.

The second year draft defines the GM the best. There are not many holes to fill and you have to chose the rights players who can come in and make the impact. TD had a prettyaverage 2nd draft picking MIke Williams, Josh Reed, Justin Bannan and Coy Wire....While Reed and Wire are still with the team, they are not superstars. Marv will have to get this 2nd draft correctly so that they can continue their upswing.

How can you possibly consider TD's year 2 draft average?

His top picks underperformed and his 2nd day picks provided absolutely zero production.

The inability of TD to find ANY productive players (except McGee) on any of day 2 drafts is what really crippled this franchise.

For a talent guru, his day 2 drafting was horrible.

Based on the overall consensus of this board, the draft should focus on at least one of the following positions RB, WR, OG, DT, CB, MLB, TE, or FB. This means that at least one person will be unhappy with the road the Bills take. But I think in 2007, unlike in 2006, the direction of the team is apparent and just about any pick in the first round can be justified.

If they draft a FB in the first round I will peel off my skin, feed it to my dog, and then sew it back on when he poops it out....and I think I'd be disappointed with most WRs in the first as we have bigger needs elsewhere

If they draft a FB in the first round I will peel off my skin, feed it to my dog, and then sew it back on when he poops it out....and I think I'd be disappointed with most WRs in the first as we have bigger needs elsewhere

Yeah I don't think we'll take a FB, WR, TE, or RB in the first round. But I think our first round pick centers entirely on Buffalo's ability/inability to re-sign Mr. Clements which means CB is not out of the question. In all likelihood, however, it will probably be a DT, OG, or LB IMO. But the whole point of this thread was to find out how folks would react if Marv and Co. did something outlandish like drafting a defensive end- a position no one is really talking about (like SS last year)...

Yeah I don't think we'll take a FB, WR, TE, or RB in the first round. But I think our first round pick centers entirely on Buffalo's ability/inability to re-sign Mr. Clements which means CB is not out of the question. In all likelihood, however, it will probably be a DT, OG, or LB IMO. But the whole point of this thread was to find out how folks would react if Marv and Co. did something outlandish like drafting a defensive end- a position no one is really talking about (like SS last year)...

It won't be a G (12 is a bit high for a G).

Depending on Clements, I forsee CB or LB.

DT and OG will be filled with free agents.

while I disagree with you about the WR or TE in round 1 as a possibility, I do agree that the resigning of Clements is a key issue. IF they sign him, we are flush with CB's and do not need to draft one early. If they fail to sign him, a CB could be drafted in rd 1. Like a lot of teams, the Bils are flush with cash this year (what is it? $35 million under the cap?). IF a "reasonable" deal can be reached with Nate, I say, sign him. "reasonable may mean a $12-$15 mil signing bonus on top of a 6 year deal.

Now, as to whom to draft afetr clements is signed, WR is an area where a 1st rounder could make a big deal BTW - Drew Bennett is a FA this year and fits like a glove alongside Lee as a #2 WR - he is TALL, 6' 5", and has hands of glue - a fantastic compliment to Evans' speed.

My dream offseason is to resign Nate, sign Bennett, keep Denney, either resign gandy or bring in a new Guard.

Then in the draft go for the top center (trade down) , the best OT on the board, the best DT on the board, or a top DE.

It appears this draft is strongest at OT, DE, and DT - good for the Bills!

-RichNJoisy

Day 2 seemed to be a good thing for the Bills. Considering that we entered Day 1 with 4 picks including the #8 and an extra early 3rd, would you mind telling us what you likes so much about the first day of the draft?

I'll tell you what I like so much about the entire draft:

Whitner/Simpson- IMO you can't mention one without the other. As for Donte though, I think he really held his own. Sure, he was caught out of position a few times, but I guess that's to be expected from a rookie who started week 2. He needs to get bigger/faster, but his heart and his head are in the right place and he now has the offseason to attend OTA's etc, he won't be set back because of contract holdouts at training camp, and it seems that the sky is the limit. Simpson is the same way, but as a FS not quite as active as Donte when it came to making tackles or making plays. BUT! The only stat one needs to know is this: The Bills gave up only 39 pass plays of 20 or more yards, tied for seventh-fewest in the NFL, and the average distance of those 20-plus pass plays was 26.2 yards, lowest in the league. IMO, that's pretty damn good for a pair of rookies, especially considering Buffalo's schedule.

McCargo- IMHO, the jury is still out on this guy and when I looked into him after we drafted him, I was a bit dissapointed to hear he was regularly set back with a foot injury in college...we'll have to see, but at this point he hasn't done anything him to warrant him a "bust" of any kind.

Williams- This guy has the potential to be something very stout and reliable in the center. When he could keep his helmet on that giant melon of his, he was CONSTANTLY in on plays, and I really liked what I saw out of him in the Baltimore game.

Butler/Merz- I'm not sure anyone can give these guys a fair assesment yet, but how can anyone complain about bringing in depth to the offensive line?

Ellison- I was very proud of this guy, especially considering that he was asked to step in and START but didn't become a major liability. Great heart, great character, just needs to get bigger. With his speed and wherewithall, he WILL be a Bills starter for years to come.

Pennington- Once again, how could anyone complain about a 7th round pick that starts 9 weeks at RT? He wasn't a revolving door, and wasn't even the weak spot on the right side. He's no Petersesque anchor, but after this offseason, he could be NASTY.

Basically, what it comes down to is this: five starters or five rookies who played and contributed to a team that STILL HAD A SHOT AT THE PLAYOFFS IN WEEK 14 has has has has to be considered a successful first year.

Now, as to whom to draft afetr clements is signed, WR is an area where a 1st rounder could make a big deal BTW - Drew Bennett is a FA this year and fits like a glove alongside Lee as a #2 WR - he is TALL, 6' 5", and has hands of glue - a fantastic compliment to Evans' speed.

Titans are 40 Million under the cap, im not sure if they intend to resign Bennett but they have a lot of money to spend and could easily match any offer the bills come up with for him. IM just saying Bennet's case he is not going to be a cap casualty in Tennesee, because they have a lot of money left to spend.

I think that the draft CAN be seperated into 2 days, given the fact that we gave up a pick.

If you choose not to answer my question, that's cool too. :flirt:

To be perfectly frank, I wasn't sure where the seperation occured (a) and I figured by addressing both days I essentially addressed your queries about day 1 at the same time (b).

To be perfectly frank, I wasn't sure where the seperation occured (a) and I figured by addressing both days I essentially addressed your queries about day 1 at the same time (b).

Yeah, but I think you are totally wrong. First day picks obviously come first. In this draft that you charcaterize as "AWESOME," our earliest and most valueable resources went toward taking a safety who looks pretty good, a DT with a history of injury who is injured once again, and a corner who didn't crack the lineup. Again, I remind you that we entered day 1 with 4 early picks in 3 rounds. This is not awesome. It borders on disaster.

We followed up this horror show with another safety in the fourth; this after signing a UFA corner and safety. You may find this to be awesome, which is great. I think that it is idiocy and to add insult to injury, we will more than likely draft a 1st round corner this year, even if several are drafted before we select.

The Bills DID improve this season, but it was primarily because of Lee Evans, JP, Jason Peters and the coaching. I liked day 2 of the draft, and hope that Pennington can develop into a good RT. We need this.

The thing is, Marv needs to put on his thinking cap, and remember that other positions matter more than the secondary, especially when talking of a team that plays outdorors, in the cold.

I have no problem with the Bills taking a DE early even as a first round pick. Can you imagine teams having to decide who to double or triple team? Schobel on one end and another great pass rusher on the other. I think that would make all facets of the defense better. Obviously a big body for the middle is the biggest need but if a really great DE comes to them I say go for it. BS used to be able to run RB's down in the backfield. I don't think the Bills will get another BS but I think it could still be a move that would help the run defense.

Supposedly DL is a very deep position in this draft. Perhaps one would be available later.