Winter's Coming Back

5 Wide

Just read this: http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-top-headl...&traveler=0

I love it, I snowmobile bring it on.

Quoted From Article

"Unlike recent weather patterns when cold air has been quickly replaced by unseasonable warmth, the upcoming cold shot will remain in place across most of the nation through the latter half of January. Expert Meteorologist Bernie Rayno has additional information on the upcoming cold shot in the video to the right.

According to Chief Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi, the weather from mid-January through mid-February could mimic the winters of 1957-58 and 1965-66. Those winters began with warm conditions before finishing with cold and stormy weather.

Bastardi says in a worst-case scenario, the country will experience a repeat of the winter of 1977-78. After a tepid start, that winter was remarkable for its cold and storms, including three powerful blizzards in the Northeast. "Those who think that winter 2006-2007 is going to remain mild are in for a shock. Winter is likely to come with a vengeance. A week from now, we'll start seeing truly cold air across much of the country, and we expect this change to last."

Bastardi believes that if the change in the weather pattern reaches its full potential, the onset of cold weather could result in "one of the top-five coldest 30-day stretches in the past half century."

and 2006 was going to be a brutal hurricaine season....baseball players and weatherpeople...only have to be successful around 25% of the time!!!! woo hoo :blink::thumbsup:

Quoted From Article

"Unlike recent weather patterns when cold air has been quickly replaced by unseasonable warmth, the upcoming cold shot will remain in place across most of the nation through the latter half of January. Expert Meteorologist Bernie Rayno has additional information on the upcoming cold shot in the video to the right.

According to Chief Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi, the weather from mid-January through mid-February could mimic the winters of 1957-58 and 1965-66. Those winters began with warm conditions before finishing with cold and stormy weather.

Bastardi says in a worst-case scenario, the country will experience a repeat of the winter of 1977-78. After a tepid start, that winter was remarkable for its cold and storms, including three powerful blizzards in the Northeast. "Those who think that winter 2006-2007 is going to remain mild are in for a shock. Winter is likely to come with a vengeance. A week from now, we'll start seeing truly cold air across much of the country, and we expect this change to last."

Bastardi believes that if the change in the weather pattern reaches its full potential, the onset of cold weather could result in "one of the top-five coldest 30-day stretches in the past half century."

NOAA says there is an El Nino in place, and they expect it to continue moderate this winter and early spring in the central and eastern States.

El Nino is only one part of the equation though. You have the North Atlantic Oscillation that works as well. They are discussing a cross polar flow developing which would bring the air from Siberia over the pole and into North America. Combine that with the NAO becoming neutral which will help cancel the zonal flow of the Jet Stream and you have the potential to really unlock some of the arctic air.

El Nino is only one part of the equation though. You have the North Atlantic Oscillation that works as well. They are discussing a cross polar flow developing which would bring the air from Siberia over the pole and into North America. Combine that with the NAO becoming neutral which will help cancel the zonal flow of the Jet Stream and you have the potential to really unlock some of the arctic air.

So, we can then Blame Canada and Russia. :thumbdown:

Quoted From Article

Holy crap. Did I read that right? Wow. That's crazy. His name is *really* Bastardi? I wish my name was Bastardi.

and 2006 was going to be a brutal hurricaine season....baseball players and weatherpeople...only have to be successful around 25% of the time!!!! woo hoo :wallbash::thumbdown:

Well I predict that it'll continue to be a mild winter.....

unless there are certain climate change, then it'll turn bad.

:devil:

Quoted From Article

Enjoy riding , spring is juust around the corner . I did not take the sleds off the trailer last year and I think I will let them sit this year .

Jack, i highly recommend going back to your full name...JiS is way way way to close to a word that rhymes with Fizz, but starts with a "J"...Hey, I'm just sayin.... :thumbdown:

Well I predict that it'll continue to be a mild winter.....

unless there are certain climate change, then it'll turn bad.

:wallbash:

NOAA says there is an El Nino in place, and they expect it to continue moderate this winter and early spring in the central and eastern States.

You are correct. I'm going to be studying Meteorology next year and from what I've lookied into and heard is that the main player for this year's weird winter is El Nino. However global warming is affecting El Nino this year but only on a minimal scale.

You are correct. I'm going to be studying Meteorology next year and from what I've lookied into and heard is that the main player for this year's weird winter is El Nino. However global warming is affecting El Nino this year but only on a minimal scale.

Cool, we'll have our very own TBD weatherman. :thumbdown:

Jack, i highly recommend going back to your full name...JiS is way way way to close to a word that rhymes with Fizz, but starts with a "J"...Hey, I'm just sayin.... :thumbdown:

The proper way is not to pronounce it, but to spell it out when saying it, like this....

J

i

S

Back on topic, it's snowing here in the 'cuse. Many local schools closed for the day.

Holy crap. Did I read that right? Wow. That's crazy. His name is *really* Bastardi? I wish my name was Bastardi.

You should take a look at the the guy. Built like a bull, fists like sledgehammers, and a pock-marked face that would scare the daylights out of a half-dozen mob enforcers. :D

They showed a clip this morning on the local San Diego channel, snowy, cold, blizzard like conditions in Buffalo. So has winter finally found it's on switch ?

Ski country getting hit pretty good, but here in Amherst just a dusting. Buffalo is getting light snow as well. 40's and rain in the forecast for this weekend.

They showed a clip this morning on the local San Diego channel, snowy, cold, blizzard like conditions in Buffalo. So has winter finally found it's on switch ?

What's the weather look like next week in SD? I'm out there on business starting next Weds.