Is there any weakness in the coaching staff

ganesh

This is the month in which coaching changes happen in the NFL. Coaches get fired, hired. Is there any one on the Bills coaching staff who has been a liability and needs to be replaced or should they also get another year before deciding on them ? Some of these coaches are leftovers from the previous regime....

I think the OL coach might have been in trouble if we had not turned it around in the 2nd half of the season.

Which of these coaches are going to be under a microscope this offseason for the team ?

And finally how about Chuck Lester :thumbsup:

Interesting. All in all I have to admit the coaching staff is just fine. This is a major reason I'm so optimistic about next year. I think more so because DJ doesn't seem to be a micromanager and has confidence in the group he's put together. Ok...I'm a hopeless Bills fan, but I think next year we can be really special if we build up just one or two areas.

This is the month in which coaching changes happen in the NFL. Coaches get fired, hired. Is there any one on the Bills coaching staff who has been a liability and needs to be replaced or should they also get another year before deciding on them ? Some of these coaches are leftovers from the previous regime....

I think the OL coach might have been in trouble if we had not turned it around in the 2nd half of the season.

Which of these coaches are going to be under a microscope this offseason for the team ?

And finally how about Chuck Lester :thumbsup:

I think the coaching staff did well overall and earned another season to continue shaping things.

On offense, while the offense was not very good, after the bye they really did improve a great deal. The slow development of Losman seems to have paid off and we saw what they were able to do with only one playmaker on that side of the ball.

The defense was mediocre to poor, but for a team that was at one point starting as many as four rookies, I thought it exceeded expectations based on talent. Heavy investment will still be needed to improve the talent to a point where it will be a good defense, but the coaching was very good. The players rarely looked lost out there and when they were beaten it was usually due to physical limitations.

Special teams, what is there to say about that? Man am I glad we have April.

I don't think that there is anything we can see from the outside that would mandate or even merit a coaching change

The onfield performance of both the O and the D was inconsistent (the O ended up on the upswing in terms of productivity, the D was run on far too easily and way too much in the second half of the season.

However, at the root of the poor performance in these areas the inexperience of the young players (a bunch of rookie starters on D and JP seemingly having turned a corner but still developing into a consistent pro),

I think the poor performance in various aspects of the game did raise some serious questions in terms of Fairchild's play calling and implementation of the talents he had (even with the need to be conservative with JP we did not seem to utilize the speed at WR we had or the passing game to the RBs well, and it seems pretty clear our DTs do not have the bulk to be run stuffers, yet other DCs make lower weight DTs work well in the Tampa 2, why didn't we?

Yet, despite these questions, the team is clearly on the upswing, (though they clearly are not there yet). Unless Jauron and/or Marv see some problem internally with the braintrust and how they work together, the stability of having them come back would seem to be the thing to do!

I don't think anyone needs to be fired but there are two areas I would like to see improved this coming season.

1) Better clock management. We can't beat our opponent if we are beating ourselves.

2) 3rd and short conversions. We have to get better in this dept.

Agree...We were horrible on 3rd downs especially something like 4 for 25 on 3 yards or less to go, passing the ball. We need longer drives on offense to keep our defense off the field.

Better clock and time management would be nice....Too many times we kneeled down at the end of the half with at least a minute on the clock.....

It was nice to see for a change the bills coming with their best year on the penalty front.....Too many penalties kill drives....we were good in avoiding silly penalties mostly.

And finally, Jauron really ran the ship with an integrity that we as fans were not subjected to veterans criticizing the poor play of JP during the Detroit-Chicago-New England stretch and keeping it inside the house and thus avoiding a controversy with the QB situation.

JAURON=NO BALLS!

Please explain...my only real complaint about DJ has been showing strange times to expose his balls, and covering them up at other times. It almost seems that rather than having a "philosopy", he belabors these things too much, which is why we end up having wasted time-outs, or confusing situations with the offensive playcallling. It is not a major concern of mine (and I have always liked DJ, so I am not bashing him), but mainly because the Bills were not a contender this year. As the team shows improvement, I am hoping DJ shows improvement in this area as well...he just seems to not have the best sense of when/when not to be agressive on the offensive side of the ball.

Other than that, I am very happy with the coaching staff, and see no need to make a change.

If anything, I would prefer to see the Bills change defensive philiosophy based on their personel (what makes Wade Philips one of the premiere DC's of the last 20 years or so) rather than trying to make the personel fit a philisophy. Not saying I don't like the "cover 2", I just don't think the Bills roster was made up of defensive players that could thrive under it, this year. Again, though, I know this is all part of re-building. We could have up to 5 new starters on next years defense....

If anything, I would prefer to see the Bills change defensive philiosophy based on their personel (what makes Wade Philips one of the premiere DC's of the last 20 years or so) rather than trying to make the personel fit a philisophy. Not saying I don't like the "cover 2", I just don't think the Bills roster was made up of defensive players that could thrive under it, this year. Again, though, I know this is all part of re-building. We could have up to 5 new starters on next years defense....

The Bills defense was in shambles when these guys came in. So it does not matter which type of defense to run. They had to pick a particular defense and a coordinator who can run that type of defense and build this team on that philosophy. It might be a year or two away from fulfilling its complete progress. I don't think this team had the players to play the complex 3-4 defense or a more natural 4-3 defense or the cover2, so it really does not matter which one they picked....

I also think Coy Wire is going to come back and back up the linebacker spot rather than the safety spot.