My prediction

Look at some of the playoff teams:

Reggie Bush and Deuce McCallister

Maroney and Dillon

Addai and Rhodes

Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson

Always good to have great depth at RB. Maybe this is a new trend developing.

While I am not sure Marv will draft a RB in the 1st round...I bet he takes one in the first three rounds.

Don't forget LT/Michael Turner in SD. LT is so good that that isn't a huge split, but Turner still makes big carries, and allows LT to get a rest without the team losing production or being forced to pass.

I still like Willis as a workhorse behind an improved line. We really did run only one way for half a season, because Preston/Pennington couldn't get the job done. Upgraded guards and I think we have a different story. I'd rather upgrade guards than Willis.

Like WM or not, that's not what's really important. It doesn't matter who the Bills have at RB. Unless someone is opening things up for him, he's going nowhere. People keep forgetting that "Killer" had rather ordinary stats for the Bills until the turned on the "electricity" for him.

Use your top pick on a run blocker (or a horse in the middle of the DL).

Yep, I think you let McGahee play out his contract and then evaluate your options. I would be completely unsurprised to see an early RB pick next year, but not this year.

I also happen to think they draft an RB this year as long as the identify one with reasonable prospects for success who is available the second day. I think theu make this move however for Bills's reasons rather than doing this for McGahee reasons,

As far as it goes the Bills are in a position of real strength regarding WM and contract terms and I hope they stay the course of simply letting him play out his contract and become an FA unless he will agree to an extension that is kind to the Bills and reasonable under our salary cap.

If he refuese to make a deal unless he is paid top RB in the NFL money, fine simply let him play out his contract and if he has a top 5 RB season next year then you either pay him actual top 5 money as befits his production or you simply tag him.

Potentially he could simply try to hold out next year, but this move would hurt him financially likely and not make a lot of sense for him to do financially. An analysis of the WM's production shows him to be a good starting EN for us, but this is what his current contract pays him.

If he tried to hold out for top RB bucks he stands the great possibility that when analysis is done by the pundits of his production that most will draw the conclusion that he is good but not great (and not even very good if one considers this years injury based on the fear he has not returned to the form he showed in college. It simply will hurt WM alot if he tries to stick the Bills up for big bucks his production does not indicate he merits and he gets a rep for running out on his teammates while still under contract.

All of this however is a reading on the hypothetical of him holding out which certainly is not a reality yet even though some seem to conclude this non-reality is a done deal.

I am glad that WM has played for us and he still has potential that with half way decent blocking, the QB threat to pass JP is becoming and with proper usage by Fairchild (despite great passing gains by WM receiving the ball on the first play against the Ravens, Fairchild simply has not even tested much less utilized his potential receiving skills).

His production his first season and the first half of last season was simply outstanding and his being the fastest Bills RB to gain 2,000 yards rushing is quite impressive given that this exceeded he rushing achievements of great players like the Juice and Thurman.

It does not mean he is a better RB than these two (he has no where near the pass catching production of Thurman is not the football force OJ became so these two are better RBs) but his play in this time and in episodes (usually against the Jets) are quite impressive and indicate he still can become a great one.

However, I think the moderate view of WM is the right one, he can not be called great or even very good unless he plays a full season and folks who don't like him because they claim he has a bad attitude both have their panties all up in a wad over something in their own mind rather than his performance on the field.

Look at some of the playoff teams:

Reggie Bush and Deuce McCallister

Maroney and Dillon

Addai and Rhodes

Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson

Always good to have great depth at RB. Maybe this is a new trend developing.

While I am not sure Marv will draft a RB in the 1st round...I bet he takes one in the first three rounds.

Weak examples-

1. Bush was too good to let select, noone in this draft is as good as he is, he could be a solid WR or a solid RB in this league. But, how did their McAllister/Ricky Williams idea go?

2. Pats are the most compete team in the league, and Dillion is getting up their in age, selecting him only made sense.

3. It doesn't matter who their running back is, their running game will always be solid because every team fears Payton Manning's arm... which leaves holes for their RBs.

4. Thomas Jones was a NFL bust until they drafted Benson. But, this example works for you best.

I'm thinking we draft a RB at highest 3rd round.....probably 2nd day.

Conceptually......

we strengthen both OGs(FA & 1st day pick) thus having actual holes that WM can run through & produce 'numbers'......

WM is motivated for his contract year($$$$$$).......

and we tag him.....

then trade him for a 1st(not top 10) round pick......

which we use on a RB(with fingers crossed).....

or we re-sign him but I'd think looking at BIG bucks for Evans & JPL with a young budding defence Marv. & Co. would rather spend rookie $$$ at the RB possition.

Simply.....we don't spend a 1st nor a 2nd pick on a RB this season unless it's a FB

Weak response-

It doesn't really matter "why" the teams drafted them. What matters is how the 2-headed backfield has translated to wins on the field. In each and every one of those examples, both running backs have been KEY contributors and their individual efforts were the deciding factor in some key wins during the course of the season.

Let's also not forget Dunn and Norwood.

And Deshaun Foster and D'Angelo Williams.

Weak examples-

1. Bush was too good to let select, noone in this draft is as good as he is, he could be a solid WR or a solid RB in this league. But, how did their McAllister/Ricky Williams idea go?

2. Pats are the most compete team in the league, and Dillion is getting up their in age, selecting him only made sense.

3. It doesn't matter who their running back is, their running game will always be solid because every team fears Payton Manning's arm... which leaves holes for their RBs.

4. Thomas Jones was a NFL bust until they drafted Benson. But, this example works for you best.

Weak response-

It doesn't really matter "why" the teams drafted them. What matters is how the 2-headed backfield has translated to wins on the field. In each and every one of those examples, both running backs have been KEY contributors and their individual efforts were the deciding factor in some key wins during the course of the season.

Let's also not forget Dunn and Norwood.

And Deshaun Foster and D'Angelo Williams.

or fred taylor and maurice jones-drew (jax was a much better team than their record).

You can never have enough RBs. The Broncos prove every year good RBs can be found in the late rounds. I think we have too many concerns to draft an RB 1st, but I can see one in the second if the Bills don't feel they can resign Willis.

i doubt that Mario's contract had NO signing bonus. And even if it does, he's got over $20 million in guaranteed money, which is the same as a SB. The only difference is when he gets his guaranteed money. Make no mistake, he got a guaranteed $20+ million just for signing on the dotted line.

Thats fine but I recall specifically that there was no signing bonus. Let me check.

Looks like that is true - no signing bonus for Mario. Found this copy of an ESPN Insider article on a Chargers message board:

League salary documents obtained by ESPN.com confirm the six-year contract signed last month by former North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, the first selection in this year's draft by the Houston Texans, features a basic value of $54 million and a maximum worth, counting all possible bonuses, incentives and escalators, of $62.1 million.

The guaranteed money in the contract is initially $21.75 million, and then jumps to $26.5 million after the Texans exercise an option next spring.

And the signing bonus is zero.

That's right, folks, no signing bonus.

It is believed to be the first time in modern history that the top overall selection in a draft agreed to a deal with no signing bonus included. But that's hardly reason to pass around the collection basket for Williams. In fact, first-round contracts with no signing bonus money were frequently employed in 2005 as a means of countering collective bargaining agreement restrictions while still achieving the maximum value in most deals, and the trend almost certainly will continue this year.

I don't think it's a bad idea to draft another back. With Drew "Show me the Money" Rosenhaus at the helm ... Willis could decide he wants to hold out or ask for a trade. Hold on folks, we could be witnessing the making of TO 2.

Weak examples-

I wouldnt say that...I think Lynch will be a better back then Bush in the long run....and he could possibly fall to us at 12....