J. Peters and si.com

not sure if this has been posted already or not but Peter King put Jason Peters as his starting LT on his All-Pro team. Look, I know that this board has a tendency to be hard on King (as do a lot of other outlets) but its nice to see our "Franchise Left Tackle" finally get some recognition.

for everything that Donahoe did to screw up our team (which is quite a list), give him props for finding Peters

Cool. Glad King is noticing.

I don't know if I give props to Donahoe too much. Couldn't Peters have been a 7th round pick if he really saw something? Seems more like TD got lucky, and all the Bills fans get to reap the benefits.

hate replying to my own post, but i just noticed that King also said he came "thisclose to voting Lee Evans an All-Pro" and gave a lot of credit to Losman, Coach Jauron and Coach Schonert. more well deserved accolades and hopefully, a few more in the future.

not sure if this has been posted already or not but Peter King put Jason Peters as his starting LT on his All-Pro team. Look, I know that this board has a tendency to be hard on King (as do a lot of other outlets) but its nice to see our "Franchise Left Tackle" finally get some recognition.

for everything that Donahoe did to screw up our team (which is quite a list), give him props for finding Peters

Donahoe acquired some good players, he wasn't terrible with regard to personnel. But Peters was not a diamond in the rough, he was well documented in the postseason leading up to the draft, with practically everybody projecting him as a first day pick after a great combine performance which had most teams considering him as a left tackle prospect. Attitude and work ethic were a problem for Peters, which is why he went undrafted. The Bills took a flyer on him........if that's where it started then Donahoe would deserve more credit. Except Peters was CUT in camp and actually visited with other teams, who took a pass, and ended up back on the Bills practice squad later. Basically, the Bills got a mulligan. His emergence was nearly as much luck as it was Donahoe thinking he was going to be what he has become a good player.

Donahoe acquired some good players, he wasn't terrible with regard to personnel. But Peters was not a diamond in the rough, he was well documented in the postseason leading up to the draft, with practically everybody projecting him as a first day pick after a great combine performance which had most teams considering him as a left tackle prospect. Attitude and work ethic were a problem for Peters, which is why he went undrafted. The Bills took a flyer on him........if that's where it started then Donahoe would deserve more credit. Except Peters was CUT in camp and actually visited with other teams, who took a pass, and ended up back on the Bills practice squad later. Basically, the Bills got a mulligan. His emergence was nearly as much luck as it was Donahoe thinking he was going to be what he has become a good player.

Yep, and our lack of talent/depth at TE (and perhaps OT, if he had thoughts of converting) that attracted him here, along with a new reputation that this team gives UDFAs a real chance to make the team based on how well they play. How sh-- lucky were we that everyone else wrote him off when they couldn't see a place for him?

Yep, and our lack of talent/depth at TE (and perhaps OT, if he had thoughts of converting) that attracted him here, along with a new reputation that this team gives UDFAs a real chance to make the team based on how well they play. How sh-- lucky were we that everyone else wrote him off when they couldn't see a place for him?

If he had gone elsewhere and become a great OT, ESPECIALLY if it were the Giants, who seriously considered him, it would have been one of the great personnel mistakes in the franchise history.

If he had gone elsewhere and become a great OT, ESPECIALLY if it were the Giants, who seriously considered him, it would have been one of the great personnel mistakes in the franchise history.

Didn't the Giants actually sign him for a few weeks?

Didn't the Giants actually sign him for a few weeks?

No, he visited their camp and the rumor was he was going to sign there, but they didn't sign him. I was following it like a hawk hoping he'd at least end up on the practice squad, and if I recall correctly he didn't even end up on the Bills original practice squad, he was out of work when the season started.

But Peters was not a diamond in the rough, he was well documented in the postseason leading up to the draft, with practically everybody projecting him as a first day pick after a great combine performance which had most teams considering him as a left tackle prospect.

I don't think many considering him as a first day pick or a good left tackle prospect before the draft. Peters is a great athelete, but the main reason he went undrafted was that teams couldn't find a position for him.

I remember Peters practiced at both tight end and takcle in his first year and didn't start to focus on tackle position until the offseason after his first season.

No, he visited their camp and the rumor was he was going to sign there, but they didn't sign him. I was following it like a hawk hoping he'd at least end up on the practice squad, and if I recall correctly he didn't even end up on the Bills original practice squad, he was out of work when the season started.

Interesting - I was unaware of that back story. Re Donohoe, I'm no fan, but of course he's found some good players - he always has. It's amazing to me that so many (not you) have to put that qualifier in when discussing him. To restate the obvious (and as you've pointed out elsewhere), he blew it on the two most important issues: coaching choices (ironic, because Cowher was one of the all time hits) and his relationship with the owner (as happened in Pittsburgh at the end of his reign there).