3 DT's from Bears are free agents this year.

PIZ

I’ve backed DJ all season, and really like him as our coach. Despite that I’ve been concerned about the Cover 2 and its ability to stop the run since the outset. These cover 2 coaches go after the quick guys who are more pass rushers then run stoppers. It's scary knowing how talented the Bears defense is and how they still rank in the bottom half in run defense. How Tony Dungy has one of the most prolific offenses of all time but can’t solve his run issues for the life of him. It's so rare to find a guy who's quick enough to rush the passer but still strong enough to hold up against the run. Warren Sapp comes to mind, not surprisingly those Tampa teams are among the only top 5 run defending teams that played the Cover 2. I really hope Jauron can get away from these small/speed DT's and maybe grab a guy more geared to stop the run for running situations. We can still plug in the speed/penetration guys for passing situations. We might have already passed on Ngata for the reasons I discussed.

How Tony Dungy has one of the most prolific offenses of all time but can’t solve his run issues for the life of him.
This will cost the Colts a Super Bowl. They have everything else in line, but when teams are putting over 150 yards on the ground against them every week, they will never, ever make it to Miami.

I’ve backed DJ all season, and really like him as our coach. Despite that I’ve been concerned about the Cover 2 and its ability to stop the run since the outset. These cover 2 coaches go after the quick guys who are more pass rushers then run stoppers. It's scary knowing how talented the Bears defense is and how they still rank in the bottom half in run defense. How Tony Dungy has one of the most prolific offenses of all time but can’t solve his run issues for the life of him. It's so rare to find a guy who's quick enough to rush the passer but still strong enough to hold up against the run. Warren Sapp comes to mind, not surprisingly those Tampa teams are among the only top 5 run defending teams that played the Cover 2. I really hope Jauron can get away from these small/speed DT's and maybe grab a guy more geared to stop the run for running situations. We can still plug in the speed/penetration guys for passing situations. We might have already passed on Ngata for the reasons I discussed.

What about Minnesota this year and Chicago (while not top 5) being in the top 10?

I agree, we need a hybrid of the cover two. We need widebodies on running plays and pass rushers on passing downs. The Warren Sapp's of the world are hard to come by.

What about Minnesota this year and Chicago (while not top 5) being in the top 10?

Is Minnesota playing the Cover 2? If so I don't know how we can compare our DT's to the Williams brothers. They just dominate the point of attack, and aren't in the mold of the small speed DT's we seem to be looking at. As for Chicago they have respectable numbers in terms of yards per game, but when it comes to averages they're 15th this year, and were 9th last year. Not exactly catastrophic results but look at the talent level in relation to us. They have a disgusting front 7. The same could be said for the old Tampa Bay defenses that handled they run well. To succeed stopping the run in this defense you can't have average or even good players. You need great players.

I agree, we need a hybrid of the cover two. We need widebodies on running plays and pass rushers on passing downs. The Warren Sapp's of the world are hard to come by.

Exactly. If the poster who mentioned Minnesota being Cover 2 was right that's exactly what I'm looking for. We can run this defense just fine with 9 guys that can fly to the football. If we’are holding out for that quick pass rusher/run stopper combo we'll be at the bottom of the league in run defense for a long time. That is unless we find our Tommie Harris or Warren Sapp. I just see that being a long shot. At the least we can bring in one run situation DT and pair him up with KW. I could live with that potential. You never want to restrict yourself to certain physicality’s, especially at such a sought after position.

And here's a scary thought for next season, with our current philosophy........

Lawrence Maroney

Lawrence Maroney

Ronnie Brown

Ronnie Brown

Willie Parker

Rudi Johnson

Jamal Lewis

Larry Johnson

Marion Barber

Brandon Jacobs

Bryant Westbrook

Clinton Portis / Ladell Betts

Travis Henry

Those guys could cause a lot of problems! Kind of scary.

Lawrence Maroney

Lawrence Maroney

Ronnie Brown

Ronnie Brown

Willie Parker

Rudi Johnson

Jamal Lewis

Larry Johnson

Marion Barber

Brandon Jacobs

Bryant Westbrook

Travis Henry

Ouch!

Lawrence Maroney

Lawrence Maroney

Ronnie Brown

Ronnie Brown

Willie Parker

Rudi Johnson

Jamal Lewis

Larry Johnson

Marion Barber

Brandon Jacobs

Bryant Westbrook

Travis Henry

Hence the reason a run-stuffing DT WILL be brought aboard. :thumbsup:

People tend to forget John Mc Cargo.

To count on McCargo would be a mistake IMO. Sure he could be good. He could also be bad. All he is right now is a young player who was injured before we could find out if he belongs. We need to address the DT's as if he's not going to make significant contributions next season.