We lost this game for 1 reason.....

sven233

It has nothing to do with not trying an impossible feild goal.....

It had nothing to do with poor playcalling on the last couple drives.....

WE LOST THIS GAME BECAUSE OUR DEFENSE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. PERIOD.

If you score 29 points on offense, AT HOME, you should win 100% of those games. The defense lost us this game, plain and simple. If you can stop an average football team with a ROOKIE QB from scoring more than 29 points, you don't deserve to win.

Yes, could things have been better on offense at times? Sure. But that should not have mattered. This defenese is NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN BIG GAMES. They can't stop the run which leads to lapses in coverage. The defense did not play well enough and they couldn't get the key stops when they needed to.....AGAIN.

Now, with all that said, I do think the team as a whole has a bright future ahead of them. They need to get a run stuffing DT in here in the offseason and need to re-sign Nate. Their rookies need to get a little better and that will come with experience. But, I truly if they upgrade their DTs in the offeseson (give me 2 big run stuffers and get rid of Anderson), this defense will be immediately improved. If we force runs to the outside and let our speedy DEs and LBs run, we will stop the run much more successfully. And doing that makes your pass defense better by default if you can force teams to throw the ball. The defensive line is TOO LIGHT AND TOO SOFT right now and they get blown off the ball way to easily. Fix this and you will improve the defense immediately.

Yes, the offense has its problems as well, but I believe that they are getting better and will be pretty explosive next year. They need 1 or 2 offensive lineman that can knock someone off the ball and they need a bigger receiver threat. A big target would really help in the redzone. All they have is small, fast guys (which is good for most of the field, but in the redzone, it is nice to have a big target).

So, there are some areas to fix, but overall, things are pretty good. But, make no mistake about it.......if you score 29 points at home in these conditions, you should win 100% of those games.

What about the 5 field goals?  If 1 of those were a TD, we win =/

877497[/snapback]

The point is, 29 points in this weather, AT HOME, against an average football team with a ROOKIE QB should have been MORE THAN ENOUGH. If you score 29 points at home with this weather, the defense should have no problem holding a team under that. Our defense is just not good enough.

Too bad we don't have a couple big run stuffers in the middle like Sam Adams or Pat Williams...............OOPS!

We lost because they have Vince Young and we don't.

877500[/snapback]

I don't buy that... No way do you let him run for a TD with 14 seconds left!

BFLO got LUCKY he made the EZ with :01 left and TN kicked it out of bounds!

Really this loss is because BFLO lapsed...

That "debacle" was killer... Getting the three was nice on the untimed down... But, you just knew that it was gonna haunt them!

Earlier I was as pissed about a Bills loss as I have been since Drew shi.... the bed against Pittsburg in 2004.

In reality, that is a good thing in that we actually have something to cheer about and get involved with. I see a lot of positives this year, and number one on that list is the play of JP Losman. A couple times today, I wish he'd have taken off and ran, but he's clearly been advised to limit that severely. What killed me was how poorly our D played in our own house.

We need some tackles, and fast. In a game begging for a turnover we didn't get any and our D rarely pressure Young at all. I would have liked to try that kick, but that's a call that may have been futile as well, but we'll never know. What I didn't like was the play calling on those final downs, and the pressure Losman was under throughout most of the game. Maybe the o-line is improving, maybe not, but one thing is for certain, it can still use some help.

Lastly Royal? He clearly won the goat of the day award. Penalty and a blown TD catch in the same series. What the hell was he thinking?

Keep telling yourself this.

BFLO lost because the coaching staff failed to put the team in the proper position to win.

They got greedy and thought the game could be won in the third!

Plain and simple.

And they will keep on making this fatal error when they play in these conditons at the Ralph...

Maybe the team is better in sunny LA? :D:doh::doh:

How can you shut out Miami and the next week give up 30 points to the Titans? The defense could not stop the run all day. All the arm tackling and they made VY look like superman.

877620[/snapback]

Because, quite simply, we are a BAD team, despite what all the optimists say. And I say we are bad because at the pro level, showing "flashes" of progress, or development, or talent, or whatever you want to call it just doesn't cut it, period. "GOOD" teams are good for one reason above all others: they are consistent - the coaches consistently gameplan correctly and the players consistently execute on the field. It has been a long time since the bills possessed this quality.

Too bad we don't have a couple big run stuffers in the middle like Sam Adams or Pat Williams...............OOPS!

877510[/snapback]

Don't you remember they're too fat to be effective and they don't play every down, so therefore aren't worht the money they're asking for....... :D

One thing that was clear to me from yesterday's game is Clements is indeed a playmaker and it'd be a shame to not see him back next year.

The D is still pretty good.

1.Crowell and Mcargo are both out.

2.We shut-out the Dolphins and held their QB to a 0.0 passer rating.

3.TKO should be getting better with the offseason to recover.

4.We played Travis Henry who was extremely motivated for this game.

877536[/snapback]

McCargo? The guy was a complete non-factor all season. Why would he have made a difference. Crowell I'll give you. McCargo is a waste.

The Bills passed on the run stuffing tackle fans are wishing for. He plays for the Ravens and we will all have a chance to see him next week. That's if the NFL doesn't decide to start blacking out road games.

Haloti Ngata would have changed the look of the Bills defense for years and years. Quality tackles make everyone on the defense better. The Bills have good linebackers. What kind of year would they have had with a monster run stuffer that eats up blockers playing in front of the them.

You have to hope the Bills get lucky and can find another quality tackle. They don't come along too often and it really hurts when you pass one by. Tis season that mistake may have cost the Bills a playoff spot.

McCargo? The guy was a complete non-factor all season. Why would he have made a difference. Crowell I'll give you. McCargo is a waste.

Haloti Ngata would have changed the look of the Bills defense for years and years. Quality tackles make everyone on the defense better. The Bills have good linebackers. What kind of year would they have had with a monster run stuffer that eats up blockers  playing in front of the them.

877642[/snapback]

i think mccargo was showing signs of being good before he got hurt. i don't think there's any question he's have been better than what we've put out there since he was knocked out.

i love our linebackers...in the sense that they're good team guys, but i don't think they're anything special as players... spikes is ruined and fletcher never was that great.

McCargo will be a good player. How good we will have to wait and see, but wait a couple years before saying he is a waste.

Spikes will be better at training camp, and could not have been at 100% this year just based on missed workouts and rehab and the way the body works. He might never get back tot he old TKO, but I think he will hit next training camp better than last training camp without any doubts.

Fletcher does not blow up plays and intimidate offenses, but is very solid. He makes a lot more tackles 8-15 yards downfield than at the line of scrimmage, but that is a reflection of our run D as a whole. I think what is impressive given the circumstances is that he made the tackle most of the time, and rarely misses his tackles (I'm ready for the evidence to the contrary to be thrown back at me, and of course he missed some).

Crowell and Ellison have a lot of upside, but I'd love to get our hands on a talent in the draft even if he is a lower pick who is a little more raw.

McCargo will be a good player.  How good we will have to wait and see, but wait a couple years before saying he is a waste.

877989[/snapback]

I agree with your assessments, but why so high on McCargo? It's great to see optimism from posters right now, but I don't see how we have anything that say's he's going to be good or bad. He just didn't get enough reps.

Also you took my comments during the Titans game the wrong way. I didn’t think we would finish because we lost the opportunity to do so in the 3rd with great field position and the wind. That's why I was predicting doom in the 4th quarter. I love the long term outlook, and believe this will be a playoff team in 2007. The only reason I'm saying this is because you’re new, and we need optimism from people to combat some of this crazy talk. So stick around for awhile.

I agree with your assessments, but why so high on McCargo? It's great to see optimism from posters right now, but I don't see how we have anything that say's he's going to be good or bad. He just didn't get enough reps.

Also you took my comments during the Titans game the wrong way.  I didn’t think we would finish because we lost the opportunity to do so in the 3rd with great field position and the wind. That's why I was predicting doom in the 4th quarter. I love the long term outlook, and believe this will be a playoff team in 2007. The only reason I'm saying this is because you’re new, and we need optimism from people to combat some of this crazy talk. So stick around for awhile.

877998[/snapback]

Please, explain to me WHY this team is playoff-bound in 2007...

What gives you the idea that this defense is anywhere near CLOSE to being playoff-worthy? Fact is, it's near the bottom of the league in stopping the run, and that is THE stat that determines wins and losses.

I see 8-8 at best. 6-10 just as likely.