We lost this game for 1 reason.....

sven233

Please, explain to me WHY this team is playoff-bound in 2007...

What gives you the idea that this defense is anywhere near CLOSE to being playoff-worthy? Fact is, it's near the bottom of the league in stopping the run, and that is THE stat that determines wins and losses.

I see 8-8 at best. 6-10 just as likely.

878013[/snapback]

How can you make a prediction already? We have the entire offeseason ahead of us! We have to find out who stays, who goes, who come in via Free Agency and the Draft, etc.!

It is impossible to evaluate this team at this point for next season because there could be a pretty big turnover for all we know. How about waiting until training camp and the preseason to see what we have as a team.

I am not saying we will be any better or worse than we are now, but until all the above actually happens, nobody knows what this team is going to look like yet.

What gives you the idea that this defense is anywhere near CLOSE to being playoff-worthy? Fact is, it's near the bottom of the league in stopping the run, and that is THE stat that determines wins and losses.

878013[/snapback]

I know this loss reeked of the same old Bills, I just haven't seen those same old Bills all year. For 14 games we fought our ass off. We had more then a chance at winning 12 of them. It was a dramatic improvement from the amount of games this could be said for in 2005. This happened while being in the bottom 25 in dozens of statistics. Those same old Bills were veteran teams that dominated statistically. They led the league in rushing defense, turnovers, and all the things you would expect to see from a winning team. This team isn't doing any of that, and they started more rookies then any team in football. They have a young improving QB, compared to an old deteriorating one. These Bills have nowhere to go but up while those Bills had nowhere to go but down. I also really like Dick Jauron despite his mishaps in the Tennessee game.

878013[/snapback]

I responded to this in another thread where you said 8-8 best, 6-10 likely, but since our stadiumwall has no focus (let's work on this this offseason guys by not starting duplicate threads or responding to pointless threads), I'll answer here as well since you phrased it as a question:

1) Young team gaining experience

2) Getting McCargo, Crowell, Youboty plus another good draft and FA that does not have to address glaring holes.

3) D-Line and O-Line will both be better

4) Since our 3 losses by more than three points was behind only SD, BAL, IND, and CHI we had more close losses than anybody (5) and only two close wins. That's an indication that we were in games regularly and were only a couple bounces from being a playoff team this year. The bounces even out over time.

I responded to this in another thread where you said 8-8 best, 6-10 likely, but since our stadiumwall has no focus (let's work on this this offseason guys by not starting duplicate threads or responding to pointless threads), I'll answer here as well since you phrased it as a question:

1) Young team gaining experience

2) Getting McCargo, Crowell, Youboty plus another good draft and FA that does not have to address glaring holes.

3) D-Line and O-Line will both be better

4) Since our 3 losses by more than three points was behind only SD, BAL, IND, and CHI we had more close losses than anybody (5) and only two close wins.  That's an indication that we were in games regularly and were only a couple bounces from being a playoff team this year.  The bounces even out over time.

878042[/snapback]

A 1 point loss is the same as a 41 point loss. It's still a loss. There's no guarantee this team will have any more success in close games next year. Sure, they could smoke the draft and kill in FA. They could improve 5 games.

Anything COULD happen, but recent experience dictates it won't.

878013[/snapback]

OK I'll explain it to you. The Bills are playoff bound in 2007 because:

A) It's not that hard to make the playoffs in the NFL. Parity means a lot of what would formerly be considered mediocore or even bad teams make the playoffs.

B) They almost made it THIS year and I don't see any reason to believe that the team will regress next year. Call me unreasonably optimistic, but I really don't think anything I've seen in the last half of the season points to this team not being on the rise.

I think we'll be better next year, and probably make the playoffs. But if our defense keeps reminding me of Indy, w the inability to stop the run, we'll lose our first playoff game. I guess that's progress. I'd just feel a lot better if we had a bone crunching defense you could count on.