Vince Young

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a lot more poise, and just does not get rattled (something few seem to want to give him credit for.

877468[/snapback]

The kid's got great instincts and "QB temprement" to go with his pure athletic skills. IMO, Mr. Mexico's an athlete-first, QB-second kind of guy. That said, Young will have to keep adjusting/growing cause' opposing NFL coaches sure will.

not to knock Young's victory today since he basically won the game by himself, but how's Young any different from Vick? both men still look to run first and Vick seems to be more of an athlete

877310[/snapback]

VY is a great athlete & a winner who makes the rest of his team respond to his leadership and play better. He's still got a ways to go, but he's already far, far ahead of psuedo-great QBs like Peyton Gump and Loser Dan because of those leadership qualities. Vick is a great athlete period, end of statement.

After criticizing him all week, I'll eat crow. He was a Bills-killer yesterday. Excellent game from the young man. To "formerlycollege" who criticized his ability to throw: what game were you watching? He threw great yesterday and converted some tough passes in the wind.

Let me start by saying that Vince had his best and most impressive game as a starter this year vs us....

I've killed him all year and he impressed me....he and Travis won that game yesterday....

but having said that.....

he is still a first read, break containment, then run type QB....once you take his legs away he will not be able to extend drives by running, he will have to do it strictly with his arm...it will happen as coaches start to find his tendacies...

one big one being 50% of 3rd downs he takes off running....which he has had great success doing.....but eventually that will be taken away...and when it is...This man will not consistently beat you with his arm....

The Bills didnt spy him, or put any presure on him yesterday and they paid for it...

not to knock Young's victory today since he basically won the game by himself, but how's Young any different from Vick? both men still look to run first and Vick seems to be more of an athlete

just one word -- LEADER

i have been watching him play here in austin since he came to UT. he just makes everyone around him better, not just because of his ability to run and throw. it is because he has (it).

Let me start by saying that Vince had his best and most impressive game as a starter this year vs us....

I've killed him all year and he impressed me....he and Travis won that game yesterday....

but having said that.....

he is still a first read, break containment, then run type QB....once you take his legs away he will not be able to extend drives by running, he will have to do it strictly with his arm...it will happen as coaches start to find his tendacies...

one big one being 50% of 3rd downs he takes off running....which he has had great success doing.....but eventually that will be taken away...and when it is...This man will not consistently beat you with his arm....

The Bills didnt spy him, or put any presure on him yesterday and they paid for it...

in his last year at UT he ran for over 1000 and threw for over 3000 with the best QB rating in the county. he is just a rookie, when he gets comforable with the speed of the nfl he sould be able to improve his air game.

just one word -- LEADER

I was extremely impressed with his leadership and his poise. He never looked rattled. I don't think his throwing is quite there yet. He had a nice percentage against the Bills, but quite a few passes (including his last TD pass) were off the mark and his receivers made some nice adjustments. Obviously, he's probably the best runner in the NFL right now. You can tell defenders don't really have their heart in it when they go to tackle him. He's a monster outside the pocket.

Huge props to the Titans for letting him do what he does, and not messing around with his mechanics, running, etc. There's plenty of teams who would tinker Vince to death.

I wouldn't get rattled against our defense, either. The VY of last week looked much different against the more physical and aggressive Jaguar's defense.

But let's give him some MVP awards down the line because he managed to do just enough to beat our amazingly pedestrian defense. Hey wait, we did shut down Joey Harrington. <_<

I wouldn't get rattled against our defense, either. The VY of last week looked much different against the more physical and aggressive Jaguar's defense.

But let's give him some MVP awards down the line because he managed to do just enough to beat our amazingly pedestrian defense. Hey wait, we did shut down Joey Harrington. <_<

The defense in the last 5-6 weeks had given up huge chunk of yards but made plays in the red-zone to convert TDs into FGs or turnovers....However against the Titans, we couldn't stop them scoring TDs...It finally caught up to us. In fact all the titans TDs were big plays 36 yard scramble, 29 yard pass and then another 22 yard pass.

They did it for Vick years ago, might as well repeat the fanfare for his clone.

But let's give him some MVP awards down the line because he managed to do just enough to beat our amazingly pedestrian defense. Hey wait, we did shut down Joey Harrington. :censored:

Or lets not give him any credit because he beat a pedestrian Bills defense. :)

The hype surrounding Young is the exact same thing people said about Vick. I didn't buy into Vick then, and I'm not buying into Young now. He can be General Patton for all I care; only a select few scrambling QB's have shown they can sustain success for more then a few years. The only guy in recent history who's adapted was McNair and we all saw how often he was injured. The hits add up, the defensive coordinators learn there tendencies, and the potential for a career ending injury is one hit away. The bottom-line is he will eventually have to adapt to make it in the NFL for the long term. As history taught us the odds of that happening aren't high. Doing exactly what Vick did to us last year doesn't make them any higher.

Flame Away

Classicly flawed argument, the same type of argument that Bills fans used to run Doug Flutie out of town in favor of the "pure pocket passer" Rob Johnson. While stats and efficiency ratings play a major role in determining the effectiveness of a QB, another measuring stick is WINS and LOSSES.

Players like Vince Young and Doug Flutie will never be confused for prolific passers -- but they sure can win games. And when they can win games, those stats go right out the window. It doesn't matter if they "barely" won the game -- the bottom line is that they win and win repeatedly.

This same "pedestrian" defense held the high flying Colts to under 20 points and managed to keep the Chargers mostly in check. In a league where boners like David Carr, Joey Harrington and Patrick Ramsey (and even Rob Johnson) were given ample opportunities and excuses to succeed, there is plenty of room for players like Vince Young...

The hype surrounding Young is the exact same thing people said about Vick. I didn't buy into Vick then, and I'm not buying into Young now.

Classicly flawed argument, the same type of argument that Bills fans used to run Doug Flutie out of town in favor of the "pure pocket passer" Rob Johnson. While stats and efficiency ratings play a major role in determining the effectiveness of a QB, another measuring stick is WINS and LOSSES.

Players like Vince Young and Doug Flutie will never be confused for prolific passers -- but they sure can win games. And when they can win games, those stats go right out the window. It doesn't matter if they "barely" won the game -- the bottom line is that they win and win repeatedly.

This same "pedestrian" defense held the high flying Colts to under 20 points and managed to keep the Chargers mostly in check. In a league where boners like David Carr, Joey Harrington and Patrick Ramsey (and even Rob Johnson) were given ample opportunities and excuses to succeed, there is plenty of room for players like Vince Young...

Flawed how? Because I compared Young to the only guy who's ever resembled his style of play? Sure Flutie "just won" so did Vick early on, so do a ton of these scramblers early on. After a few games, or in some cases seasons, it stops. Coordinators learn tendencies, the hit's start adding up. What did Flutie do after he left Buffalo? What is Vick doing now? I implore you to give me examples of scrambling QB's that sustained play over 5 seasons. I'm not talking about the Donovan McNabs either, I'm talking clear run first QB's. For every one that survived more then a handful of games, or seasons, I could name 100 that haven't. I'll pick this discussion up again a few years from now, until then I'll side with history.

Classicly flawed argument, the same type of argument that Bills fans used to run Doug Flutie out of town in favor of the "pure pocket passer".

Horse crap. BILLS' fans had ass to do with Flutie being run out of town.

The ridiculous argument that Flutie "just won" gets funnier every year. He was a mediocre QB whose efforts throughout most games nearly wasted the efforts of perhaps the most underrated defense in NFL history.