Why no field goal?

MrLocke

I would have liked to have seen a FG attempt, but I agree that the wind was way too strong to make it an easy decision. Bironas' 42-yarder looked like it got slapped backward on its way toward the uprights and barely cleared. The odds were pretty slim. But again, I would have liked to have seen it tried.

Then again, I'm more upset with the play calling before it. TEN was not stopping the clock, and two more runs would have been much better than two ridiculous pass attempts. I think Fairchild got a little too greedy on that one and it cost us.

Oh, Royal. Why'd you have to do that?

I'm sorry, lifelong Bills fan, the kick was a no brainer. Better than a hail mary...you do the math.

If it's so windy, why not call a set play for a 1st down? Something where the odds are in your favor?

Find me a person watching who was not shocked? Lindel may or may not have made it, but he field goal made more sense. See what response you hear over the next week from any non Bill.

Why go into shotgun on 3rd and 1 on the previous drive? If you're intent on throwing, fine...but why shotgun?

Why did it take so long to make the decision on 4th down? The coaching staff should have had their minds made up BEFORE they even ran the 3rd down play.

Fisher and his staff made Jauron and company look foolish today

too bad it turned out that way. Don't go sour on the team. Be proud. They are alot further along than we all expected. It was a successful season because we have come to realize that JP can play for the Bills. Unluckly but lets keep our heads. How can you scream and yell. How do you know that the coach didn't go up to Lindell and ask him. Can you do it. Wait for the facts and no matter how it comes out it been a great run to at least get us to this position.

Bironas has a very strong leg. But i've seen Lindell hit some pretty long one's with yards to spare.

The whole drive didn't make sense. They're out of time outs and they're rushing the drive? There was 2 minutes left? Why rush?! We were in fairly good shape field position wise. Why didn't we run a little bit to run the clock down even more? Instead we threw two passes resulting in an incomplete and an intereception.

If we had ran like we should have we would have picked up a few more yards and the kick would have been a little closer. Lindell was hitting everything all day, you have to go for the win.

Dumb call. You can't even try and defend that one.

I would have liked to have seen a FG attempt, but I agree that the wind was way too strong to make it an easy decision. Bironas' 42-yarder looked like it got slapped backward on its way toward the uprights and barely cleared. The odds were pretty slim. But again, I would have liked to have seen it tried.

Then again, I'm more upset with the play calling before it. TEN was not stopping the clock, and two more runs would have been much better than two ridiculous pass attempts. I think Fairchild got a little too greedy on that one and it cost us.

Oh, Royal. Why'd you have to do that?

876935[/snapback]

I was screaming to go for it. That kick by Bironas should tell you all you need to know. He needed to put everything into it, and he's shown the power that he can have when he does so. His 42 yard kick just got slapped out of the air barely clearing the crossbars. The wind had to take at least 10 to 15 yards of the ball flight making Lindell's kick several yards past his career long. The odds of picking up 5 yards on 4th down were at least 40%. It wasn't even really a decision.

What's he supposed to say "The coach is an idot, I would have made it"?

876958[/snapback]

yeah, the wind was crazy...if you had watched the game, you would've seen what the wind was doing to the titan's punts

If thats what Dick believed then the call on third down is the worst coaching call that i have seen in quite some time. Made absolutely no sense.

876853[/snapback]

I completely agree...if the coaches have already decided that they are in "four down territory", they should have tried something different on third down. If Lindell thought he couldn't make it from 45 yards out, what are the Bills doing, playing for ball placement? It seemed the Bills were as concerned about running the clock out, as they were moving the ball. The only problem was, they still had to score....

To me this looked more like haphazard, seat of the pants thinking, wanting to send the crowd home happy for the holidays...instead they got a lump of coal for their loyalty.

I could live with our chances of a winning season, or maybe even a longshot playoff spot had gone away, on a missed tough kick, rather than some really poor coaching decisions. That was lame. And, I have always been a big fan of Dick Jauron. I thought the playcalling on offense was very good most of the day today...how can you make that decision? It seems, if Jauron has one glaring weakness, it is when to play conservative, and when to play with a little more recklessness...this was not the right time for recklessness.

Again, I am not wanting to ride Jauron out of town, but this is the second time this season (first against the Chargers) where I felt his decisions minimized the teams chances to win a game, that was still winnable.

It is a shame too, a great effort by some of our offensive players was completely wasted. Of course, if you were unlucky enough to have to hear Steve Tasker and Gus Johnsons' call, you would have barely known the Bills were playing. Another topic, for another thread I am sure.....

Oh well, the proverbial "next year" has officially begun...

Merry Christmas all, even you Dick Jauron!

BTW- anyone changing their tune about Vince Young?

I completely agree...if the coaches have already decided that they are in "four down territory", they should have run it on 3rd down.  To me this looked more like haphazard, seat of the pants thinking, wanting to send the crowd home happy for the holidays...instead they got a lump of coal for their loyalty. 

I could live with our chances of a winning season, or maybe even a longshot playoff spot had gone away, on a missed tough kick, rather than some really poor coaching decisions.  That was lame.  And, I have always been a big fan of Dick Jauron.  I thought the playcalling on offense was very good most of the day today...how can you make that decision?  It seems, if Jauron has one glaring weakness, it is when to play conservative, and when to play with a little more recklessness...this was not the right time for recklessness. 

Again, I am not wanting to ride Jauron out of town, but this is the second time this season (first against the Chargers) where I felt his decisions minimized the teams chances to win a game, that was still winnable. 

It is a shame too, a great effort by some of our offensive players was completely wasted.  Of course, if you were unlucky enough to have to hear Steve Tasker and Gus Johnsons' call, you would have barely known the Bills were playing. Another topic, for another thread I am sure.....

Oh well, the proverbial "next year" has officially begun...

Merry Christmas all, even you Dick Jauron!

876993[/snapback]

Lot's of people are pissed off about the call to go on 4th down. That was clearly the correct call if you look at the percentages of making the FG verse picking up the first down. But as you pointed out it seemed they didn't have the 4 downs in mind from the get go. If so they would have run on 3rd down setting up a potential run/pass on 4th.

Good post.

Can anybody who disagrees with going for it bring a single piece of evidence for your reasoning? This isn't hard decision to analyze. What are the odds Rian Lindell makes that kick? What are the odds the Bills convert 4th and 5? I really don't feel like researching this, but I assure you it's not even close.