Merry X-Mas from Sabres

slothrop

Oh noe!  Someone is overly sensitive!

875860[/snapback]

It is the "War on CHRISTmas!" What a load of Fox news crap. I ain't stopping you from praying or buying things at box stores. I wrote x-mas because it is shorter to type. Listen to Rush some more you ditto-head.

It is the "War on CHRISTmas!" What a load of Fox news crap. I ain't stopping you from praying or buying things at box stores. I wrote x-mas because it is shorter to type. Listen to Rush some more you ditto-head.

875880[/snapback]

Why are you calling BlueFire out? He was siding with you...

This is why the old school board with threaded views, IMO was so much better!

:lol:

We just had a thread on the X-mas vs. Christmas thing a week ago.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas. X-mas is not due to the PC crowd.

-Jeff

875859[/snapback]

Although maybe that is all technically correct, what small fraction of a fraction of a percentage of people actually know any that stuff? Of all the times you have read "x-mas" you could probably count on one hand the number of people who would recite anything from that wiki entry.

Although maybe that is all technically correct, what small fraction of a fraction of a percentage of people actually know any that stuff?  Of all the times you have read "x-mas" you could probably count on one hand the number of people who would recite anything from that wiki entry.

876069[/snapback]

If nothing else, then perhaps my link to that entry will help folks understand the origin of "Xmas" a bit more. That's my goal. The "Holiday Tree" crowd bugs me, too. I personally believe it's right to keep the religious origins, that's what it's all about, after all.

-Jeff

If nothing else, then perhaps my link to that entry will help folks understand the origin of "Xmas" a bit more.  That's my goal. The "Holiday Tree" crowd bugs me, too.  I personally believe it's right to keep the religious origins, that's what it's all about, after all.

-Jeff

876110[/snapback]

While it certainly gives some historical perspective, I think the crux of it is that most people find it disrespectful (because people don't know the historical background that you linked to). I don't think it is ever written with malicious intent, but never-the-less it has a bit of a secular feel to it and thus tends to aggravate thhose who actually celebrate the holiday beyond buying a bunch of crap and shoveling it out.

While it certainly gives some historical perspective, I think the crux of it is that most people find it disrespectful (because people don't know the historical background that you linked to).  I don't think it is ever written with malicious intent, but never-the-less it has a bit of a secular feel to it and thus tends to aggravate thhose who actually celebrate the holiday beyond buying a bunch of crap and shoveling it out.

876118[/snapback]

I agree 100%.

Just imagine if the X was placed on another holiday what the uproar would be like....

Are you really trying to argue that if it was, say, X-ween that people would be pissed?

I stand for what I believe in, end of story.

877064[/snapback]

And you overreact to things people do because of it.

Just imagine if the X was placed on another holiday what the uproar would be like....

I stand for what I believe in, end of story.

877064[/snapback]

Well, good for you. Not enough people do that. Really. Just don't let it keep you from hearing what others have say.