Looks like a bunch of games are blacked out

ganesh

I guess all their fans suck too.

I believe the NFL made a ridiculous, arrogant decision in playing these games on the 24th. It would have been just as easy to hold them on the 23rd.

Looking at past attendance (League-wide) for games held on Christmas Eve shows a history of well under capacity stadiums.

Tickets may be sold, but people who bought them (season ticket holders) end up not going.

When people don;t show up, concessions are not sold, parking revenue (which is often shared with municipalities) goes unearned. Not just the fans lose, but the league ends up paying for it.

I believe the NFL made a ridiculous, arrogant decision in playing these games on the 24th. It would have been just as easy to hold them on the 23rd.

874873[/snapback]

Also, it will be interesting to find out what the actual attendance for this weekends games will be, considering the # of playoff scenarios that are possible....I see all these games to be very crucial in the AFC.

TEN at BUF

BAL at PIT

CIN at DEN

NYJ at MIA

JAX at NE

Looking at past attendance (League-wide) for games held on Christmas Eve shows a history of well under capacity stadiums.

Tickets may be sold, but people who bought them (season ticket holders) end up not going.

When people don;t show up, concessions are not sold, parking revenue (which is often shared with municipalities) goes unearned. Not just the fans  lose, but the league ends up paying for it.

874873[/snapback]

Yup.

Merry Christmas from the NFL.

Yup.

Merry Christmas from the NFL.

874894[/snapback]

How about "Merry Christmas from the NFL. As a gift to you and your families, we're lifting all blackouts this holiday weekend."

Too bad their wealth is more important than PR and at this point, the opinions of fans make little difference except for in ways in which they can be useful and profitable.

874873[/snapback]

I don't know if I'd call it "arrogant"...but it probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to do this. This is the once-every-6-year occurrence where Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday, so many people have Christmas shopping/parties/celebrations as their priority and would rather watch the games while sitting next to the fire.

How about "Merry Christmas from the NFL.  As a gift to you and your families, we're lifting all blackouts this holiday weekend."

Too bad their wealth is more important than PR and at this point, the opinions of fans make little difference except for in ways in which they can be useful and profitable.

874901[/snapback]

I never really understood the blackout rule, anyway.....does the NFL lose money if they broadcast the game to the local market that's not sold out? It's not like CBS isn't going to send their crew to the game, so what point does it prove?

I never really understood the blackout rule, anyway.....does the NFL lose money if they broadcast the game to the local market that's not sold out? It's not like CBS isn't going to send their crew to the game, so what point does it prove?

874915[/snapback]

The team doesn't sell as many tickets if people know they can watch the game from the comfort of home. Add parking, concessions, souvenirs, etc. ...

As per your previous post, though, there are times when fans tell the league, "we don't care, we're STILL not buying tickets." Christmas Eve certainly qualifies. Don't think the ticket office is going to have an overflow walk-up crowd this week...

The team doesn't sell as many tickets if people know they can watch the game from the comfort of home. Add parking, concessions, souvenirs, etc. ...

As per your previous post, though, there are times when fans tell the league, "we don't care, we're STILL not buying tickets." Christmas Eve certainly qualifies. Don't think the ticket office is going to have an overflow walk-up crowd this week...

874928[/snapback]

No, but I'm sure there will be a press release from the bills after the game indicating that the changes they put in to place after last weeks screw up are responsible for the short wait at the ticket booth :lol:

874928[/snapback]

Same could be said for any league, any sport college or pro, yet the NFL, the "King of the World," is the only league with a non-sellout blackout "policy."

And it's the only league that schedules games and in turn asks its fans to come and sit their butts outside in December and January. (save for the few college games in early December, i.e. Army/Navy)

:lol:

No, but I'm sure there will be a press release from the bills after the game indicating that the changes they put in to place after last weeks screw up are responsible for the short wait at the ticket booth :lol:

874942[/snapback]

True. :lol:

Same could be said for any league, any sport college or pro, yet the NFL, the "King of the World," is the only league with a non-sellout blackout "policy."

And it's the only league that schedules games and in turn asks its fans to come and sit their butts outside in December and January.  (save for the few college games in early December, i.e. Army/Navy) 

:lol:

874947[/snapback]

I still remember the one news anchor on WIVB when the 2005 schedule came out. "Exactly who thought it would be a good idea to schedule a night game in Buffalo, in December ?!?"

874915[/snapback]

The blackout gets 500-2000 more people to go to the game so the revenue increase is the ticket sales.

I've wondered though whether or not there are local businesses who paid for advertising they dont get. I'm also pretty sure the locla sports bars get less business

874928[/snapback]

...I know it's a different sport, but how do you explain the Sabres selling out ALL 41 home games this year well in advance, when all the games(or almost all of them) are on TV?