Q: 'Buried' in debt, can he dig out?

Tux of Borg

I think it's admirable when people work their way through college, but I don't see why parents who want to help out their children should be attacked for doing so. It's their business how they decide to spend their money and paying for a kid's college education is not determinative of the financial skills the child will have, anecdotes provided or not.

I can understand that people begrudge the help that others got because of who their parents were, but parents are going to help out their children and vice versa and I am not sure why someone would attack that. That's the way it is and nothing really has changed in that regard.

871198[/snapback]

Who's attacking parents?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't believe that every kid should go to college.  A lot of colleges are nothing more than glorified high schools.  Let's face it - not everyone is smart enough or has the desire to go to college, especially not right out of high school.  Don't force them, it's a waste of money.

871010[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree. Or have them start out at a community college to test it out.

I agree with the idea that not everyone should go to college, but only in the sense that there are a lot of good jobs where what someone learns at a LAC is probably pretty superfluous. The only problem is that many employers require a bachelor's, using the degree as a proxy for competence, when nothing learned in college is necessary for the job.

Of course, that gets to the general point that college degrees are often just used by employers as a cheap way to sort candidates (allowing colleges to do the work for them) for entry level jobs.

You guys are forgetting the most important point of the article. Not only did he get a degree in theater, but he went to St Lawerence! Theres his problem right there.

The old Clarkson "You'll work for us" chant rings true after all. :rolleyes:

SLU sucks! LETS GO TECH!!!

come on thats not fair.  if it was his dream to be an actor, then bravo for following his dream...don't begrudge his chosen way of life...acting is a decent profession...now if he thought he was going to graduate to George Clooney status then begrudge him for that...he said he "lived like an animal for 6 months" it think...wow, heck of a sacrifice...a whole 6 months?????  just don't ever judge someone on their chosen career path...that makes you sound elitist....

That's fine, but then go get an acting job and get to work on that career instead of whining because you're hoofing luggage. He's made his choices but now doesn't want to accept the responsibility of them.

I agree with your post, but wanted to make a general point relating to the item I quoted.

The standard chain of events is flawed to think that a high schooler can make a decision about their careers and get it right the first (or second, or third) time. I entered my major because I enjoyed a particular technology class in HS. It was a logical decision at the time, but being in school gave me exposure to students in other interesting majors. Classes I took also led me to want to do other things and I grew intellectually. In the end, I had two degrees, a meaningless certification, and fortunately steady employment. But, even now (8 years later), if I had it all to do over again, there are many other careers that I would like to try. Some that require advanced degrees and some that require little more than interest, ability, and a solid apprenticeship/work experience.

871163[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with kids changing their minds. College isn't really about "getting an education to get a specific job," it's about finding out what's available in the world like you said. I lucked out in that I knew I wanted a degree in CS since I was about 5, but I understand most people aren't in the same boat. At the same time, I loved the writing classes I took (my professors said that I should write professionally which was cool to hear), along with lots of other classes. They didn't help me get a job, but they did make me well rounded and let me see what else is out there in the world. College (the non mickey-mouse ones, anyway) gives you a foundation to build further learning upon.

CW

TIME

The only thing that will dig him out is TIME... Too bad "everybody" wants things now in this country!

It is just like a hangover... Can't keep on consuming and think you will dig yourself out...

I think this is the concept many Americans have a hard time with...

They want the cell phones, computers, tvs, etc...

Live well below your means for 15 years and he will be fine... And don't let up following your dreams...

The wrong mentality seems to follow this whole country... If you are gonna attempt to have it all without giving it time... Then you should accept the consequences.

But... If you follow the mantra: "Don't worry, shop till you drop and consume... We'll handle the war"... Like the war tie-in? :angry::angry::(:bag: Trouble will pile up!

The point is... You gotta "pay the piper" sooner or later... There will always be a day of reckoning... So "hunker" down now, no matter what society or the "Jones'" is "telling" you "must" have!

You want one thing? It comes at the price of something else...

I don't have a problem with kids changing their minds.  College isn't really about "getting an education to get a specific job," it's about finding out what's available in the world like you said.  I lucked out in that I knew I wanted a degree in CS since I was about 5, but I understand most people aren't in the same boat.  At the same time, I loved the writing classes I took (my professors said that I should write professionally which was cool to hear), along with lots of other classes.  They didn't help me get a job, but they did make me well rounded and let me see what else is out there in the world.  College (the non mickey-mouse ones, anyway) gives you a foundation to build further learning upon.

CW

871477[/snapback]

I disagree, college is about getting the education to get you into the proffession you want to work in. Highschool is about finding out whats available in the world for you. The second you have to start paying for your education, and you have to chose what classes and direction you want to go in, its no longer about experimenting. Thats why people get into so much debt with schooling. They decide that they want to do something with giving much though to it and then start changing what they want because it "gets to hard" or "isn't what I exected"

Don't complain because your in debt from school after you wasted many years trying different courses to see what you want to do.

Although most kids these days (especially the ones that don't have to pay a dime of their tuition think that college is just a place to experiment (and not with education) and party because its the first time they get to live away from home and their parents, and most likely the first time they have been in an educational system that does not care weither they show up because its not the proffessors problem if you want to miss an important class

TIME

The only thing that will dig him out is TIME... Too bad "everybody" wants things now in this country!

It is just like a hangover...  Can't keep on consuming and think you will dig yourself out...

I think this is the concept many Americans have a hard time with...

They want the cell phones, computers, tvs, etc...

Live well below your means for 15 years and he will be fine... And don't let up following your dreams...

The wrong mentality seems to follow this whole country... If you are gonna attempt to have it all without giving it time... Then you should accept the consequences.

But... If you follow the mantra:  "Don't worry, shop till you drop and consume... We'll handle the war"... Like the war tie-in? :angry:  :angry::(:bag:  Trouble will pile up! 

The point is... You gotta "pay the piper" sooner or later... There will always be a day of reckoning...  So "hunker" down now, no matter what society or the "Jones'" is "telling" you "must" have!

You want one thing?  It comes at the price of something else...

871681[/snapback]

You do make a very good point. You can't expect to finish school, land a job immediatly in what you want to do, and get rid of your debt instantly. It takes time and patients, and a little bit of sacrifice.

If this guy wants to become an actor, thats great, follow your dream, but don't cry cause you are in so muc debt, or expect to get out of it fast. Acting is not a career with a constant paycheck, and to make it, you usually need a bit of natural talent. its not a career that you can just go to school, learn some stuff and then make billions doing. Most actors had to struggle and work meaningless jobs just to support themselves and pay the bills while they go to tons of auditions. (you also have to be somewhat good looking or be willing to do nude scenes)

I disagree, college is about getting the education to get you into the proffession you want to work in. Highschool is about finding out whats available in the world for you.

871986[/snapback]

I envy the high school experience you must've had.

Not surprised.  I have a daughter going to law school next year and I'm footing the bill.  Many have asked me why I am doing that given that I worked my way through college and law school.  Well...it was different then.  The tuition and living costs can be (and are) crippling to many.  She'll do fine when she finishes and then will be on her own, but without $130,000 or more in debt.  Me?  I'd probably piss it away on Bills memorabilia anyway.

870886[/snapback]

I really believe they have hiked the tuitions up, knowing full well mom and dad would pay.

Are you getting your moneys worth?

I would have to say the kid in the article didn't.

I disagree, college is about getting the education to get you into the proffession you want to work in. Highschool is about finding out whats available in the world for you. The second you have to start paying for your education, and you have to chose what classes and direction you want to go in, its no longer about experimenting. Thats why people get into so much debt with schooling. They decide that they want to do something with giving much though to it and then start changing what they want because it "gets to hard" or "isn't what I exected"

Don't complain because your in debt from school after you wasted many years trying different courses to see what you want to do.

Although most kids these days (especially the ones that don't have to pay a dime of their tuition think that college is just a place to experiment (and not with education) and party because its the first time they get to live away from home and their parents, and most likely the first time they have been in an educational system that does not care weither they show up because its not the proffessors problem if you want to miss an important class

871986[/snapback]

What highschool do you get to do anything other than math, social studies, science, and english? I never got to experiment with anything. I think the only choice I had was whether I wanted to take spanish or french. :wallbash:

And sorry, but college isn't about getting a profession, that's what trade schools are for. College is about learning and learning how to learn. Yes, it helps you get into various professions, but it's not about learning a skill (aside from the skill of learning). That's one reason a lot of jobs require a college degree -- the theory is that if you can learn everything you need through college, you can learn stuff on your own as well. We all know that depends on the college the degree is from though.

That's also the reason why you have to take a broad range of classes, instead of focusing on one dicipline. Some people say "I want to do XXXX" and take only classes dealing with XXXX, then change their mind and say "I want to do YYYY!" A four year degree is based on taking a broad array of classes for the first year or so, then based on that, delving into a specific field.

I paid my entire way through school, and I took some classes just to see what they were like. It almost led me to writing, even though I love computer science (then I realized that IT paid better than writing :( )

I agree that you shouldn't complain about it, but I disagree on the rest. :)

(wow, I rambled.... Sorry! :oops: )

CW

I really believe they have hiked the tuitions up, knowing full well mom and dad would pay.

Are you getting your moneys worth?

I would have to say the kid in the article didn't.

872041[/snapback]

I think it's more that kids are going to private schools - that's where you rack up your debt. if you go to a public school, it's much cheaper.

What highschool [sic "high school"] do you get to do anything other than math, social studies, science, and english [sic "E"]?  I never got to experiment with anything.  I think the only choice I had was whether I wanted to take spanish [sic "S"] or french [sic "F"]:wallbash:

It almost led me to writing, even though I love computer science (then I realized that IT paid better than writing  :(  )

CW

872050[/snapback]

For you, computer science was the better choice.