Q: 'Buried' in debt, can he dig out?

Tux of Borg

So you take my post, add words that aren't there to make your point and I'm grumpy? 

BTW, I'm an ****, not grumpy.  Grumpy may change from day to day.  I'm like this every day.  :wallbash:

872435[/snapback]

Self proclaimed **** ( :( ),

Even without the word "significant," I still fail to see how a $5/hr job is going to make even a dent in a college tuition bill. I worked at KMart for a little over a year, and it pretty much paid for books for my first year.

That's another great topic - why do college textbooks cost over $100 each?! :oops:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self proclaimed **** (  :( ),

Even without the word "significant," I still fail to see how a $5/hr job is going to make even a dent in a college tuition bill.  I worked at KMart for a little over a year, and it pretty much paid for books for my first year.

That's another great topic - why do college textbooks cost over $100 each?! :wallbash:

872444[/snapback]

Because you HAVE to buy them. DUH!

Self proclaimed **** (  :( ),

Even without the word "significant," I still fail to see how a $5/hr job is going to make even a dent in a college tuition bill.  I worked at KMart for a little over a year, and it pretty much paid for books for my first year.

That's another great topic - why do college textbooks cost over $100 each?! :oops:

872444[/snapback]

Get a job in the restaurant business. They start you out at the age of 12. $7.50 per hour, (not $5), 20 hours per week compounded at 8% over 6 years. You have over $77k. That's a good dent. :wallbash:

Get a job in the restaurant business.  They start you out at the age of 12.  $7.50 per hour, (not $5), 20 hours per week compounded at 8% over 6 years.  You have over $77k.  That's a good dent.  :oops:

872463[/snapback]

You have no childhood, but hey. :(

Seriously though, I guess mixing paint at KMart wasn't the way to go. I earned $5/hr, and that was good money - cashiers only made around $4.75 (mixing paint was a "specialized skill," go figure. :wallbash: ).

Not surprised.  I have a daughter going to law school next year and I'm footing the bill.  Many have asked me why I am doing that given that I worked my way through college and law school.  Well...it was different then.  The tuition and living costs can be (and are) crippling to many.  She'll do fine when she finishes and then will be on her own, but without $130,000 or more in debt.  Me?  I'd probably piss it away on Bills memorabilia anyway.

870886[/snapback]

Your a good man Charlie Brown

Not surprised.  I have a daughter going to law school next year and I'm footing the bill.  Many have asked me why I am doing that given that I worked my way through college and law school.  Well...it was different then.  The tuition and living costs can be (and are) crippling to many.  She'll do fine when she finishes and then will be on her own, but without $130,000 or more in debt.  Me?  I'd probably piss it away on Bills memorabilia anyway.

870886[/snapback]

I agree! Having graduated in 1969, proportionally things are way different.

Student loans should be capped at a point where the lender can reasonably expect the borrower to be able to repay. Starting out life, or a professional career with a $130,000 debt is obscene.

See, the debt depends on what the schooling was for. If it was from Law school, or Med school, I don't see it as being that obscene because it takes alot of schooling for those kinda jobs and you will be earning a large salary when you are employed in that field.

Now to accumulate that kinda debt or even $100,000 is not hard if you go and keep changing your mind, or spend the time just living it up in the college experience (i.e. partying) then its your own fault and that debt is your own problem. its a quick and very expensive life lesson

I agree!  Having graduated in 1969, proportionally things are way different.

Student loans should be capped at a point where the lender can reasonably expect the borrower to be able to repay.  Starting out life, or a professional career with a $130,000 debt is obscene.

873094[/snapback]

So you say. My wife and I had 140K in student loans when we finished our respective grad schools. That was more than we paid for our first house. Did it suck, especially at first. Yes. Was all that debt and education worth it? Yes.

I'll pay for all the education my daughter wants so she can have the advantages of education without the big debt. I'd rather her have a clean start than the PIA I had. It's just a natural part of wanting something better for your kids.

I see your points, but I think it is really important in the first year of law school at least, for a student not to work.  Critical decisions are made about law review membership, summer internships, and inns of court that are wonderful educational opportunities.  Without complaining (I actually learned a lot as a cop) I missed lots of educational and networking opportunities with working.  I don't like carrying debt and I don't want my kids to get into a major habit of carrying more than they can actually pay for reasonably or starting their careers with crushing debt hanging over them.  After she graduates she'll be on her own, as was her brother, who has done quite well. And then in a few years they can pool their resources to take care of their grumpy old man!!! :rolleyes:

872299[/snapback]

Man, dont apologize because you want to pay for your kids schooling. People that say oh kids should pay for their own college have no idea what they are talking about. It is different today. I graduated 9 yrs ago from Canisius College, my parents paid for it & the year I graduated it was 12,000 per year. A mere 9 yrs later it is 25,000 a year. So for a kid to pay for his tutition, going to a school like Canisius, which is not ivy league by any means, they would probably have $100,000 student loan to pay back once they get out. If you have the means to help out your kids, why wouldnt you? I guess some people think there kids should pay 1,000 student loan payment per month for the next 10yrs to teach their kids about life??? Yeah that makes alot of sense.

I think the reason people are saying that the parents shouldn't pay for their childrens schooling is because it doesn't teach the kids responsibility. Letting the kids take on the debt will also make them focus a little harder on their studies because they will want to get through school and not have to take stuff over again because they know how much it costs. Typically the kids who have the free ride through school are the ones that constantly change majors, and party all the time because it doesn't matter they aren't paying for it. (This is not saying all are like that, just that alot are. I also have no problem with parents helping their children out with school if they have the finances to do it)

I had to pay my way through school, I lived at home during that time and went to a local college to keep costs down. I got out with about $12,000 in debt that I will be paying off over 10 years (8-9 now) I had to work while going to school to allow myself to have a vehicle to get to school, pay for books and supplies, and have a bit of a social life. Because I payed for my schooling, I found I focused more on getting every bit of an education out of the school that I could because I wanted to get my money's worth out of it sice I knew it wasn't cheap. Yet I knew people who's parents payed for their schooling and all they wanted was the "college experience" (i.e. party, live away from home, and drink as much as they can, school was secondary)

If you can help your kids out of school without debt, great, hopefully you also brought your kids up to know the value of a $1 and they know they are very lucky to have parents that will pay to help them out in life.

870886[/snapback]

Where is she going to law school?

If you can help your kids out of school without debt, great, hopefully you also brought your kids up to know the value of a $1 and they know they are very lucky to have parents that will pay to help them out in life.

873291[/snapback]

Right on.

I also think it's a little different paying for grad school instead of undergrad. Presumably the kid has shown that they care about their studies by getting an undergrad degree, so the whole "irresponible" angle is minimized/eliminated.

I still maintain that going to a state school is the better route, as long as you go to a good state school. (I moved to Minnesota, worked for a year to establish residency, then went to the U of Minnesota, a top research school and incidentally, the school has the highest number of students registered for class in the nation, or at least did in '95).

CW

I still maintain that going to a state school is the better route, as long as you go to a good state school. (I moved to Minnesota, worked for a year to establish residency, then went to the U of Minnesota, a top research school and incidentally, the school has the highest number of students registered for class in the nation, or at least did in '95).

873352[/snapback]

I believe Minnesota is back on top again. It flip flops between Minnesota and Texas.

I agree!  Having graduated in 1969, proportionally things are way different.

Student loans should be capped at a point where the lender can reasonably expect the borrower to be able to repay.  Starting out life, or a professional career with a $130,000 debt is obscene.

873094[/snapback]

So is the cost of higher education. :rolleyes:

Actually, she played soccer and worked at a patent law firm in high school, and worked as a waitress through college. A lot of law schools forbid ANY outside work in the first year (although I don't know how they enforce that rule.) She takes care of her rent and most living expenses even now.

That rule is unenforceable. I worked all thru law school, at a school that attempted to "forbid" outside employment. I think you're doing the right thing big time and agree, she should not work in year 1. Or for that matter the summer between years 1 and 2 (study law abroad time!!)

Man, dont apologize because you want to pay for your kids schooling.  People that say oh kids should pay for their own college have no idea what they are talking about.  It is different today.  I graduated 9 yrs ago from Canisius College, my parents paid for it & the year I graduated it was 12,000 per year.  A mere 9 yrs later it is 25,000 a year.  So for a kid to pay for his tutition, going to a school like Canisius, which is not ivy league by any means, they would probably have $100,000 student loan to pay back once they get out.  If you have the means to help out your kids, why wouldnt you?  I guess some people think there kids should pay 1,000 student loan payment per month for the next 10yrs to teach their kids about life???  Yeah that makes alot of sense.

873231[/snapback]

What I'm saying is that paying for your child's education is not a bad thing, as long as you're still "paying" yourself. I see too many people that have zippo saved for themselves but have given everything for their kids: college, car, home, or just plain sending them money.

People have said here in this thread that they will do anything for their kids. How about doing something like making sure they're not going to have take care of you when you no longer have the means to do so yourself. That's the best gift you can give them.

What I'm saying is that paying for your child's education is not a bad thing, as long as you're still "paying" yourself.  I see too many people that have zippo saved for themselves but have given everything for their kids: college, car, home, or just plain sending them money. 

People have said here in this thread that they will do anything for their kids.  How about doing something like making sure they're not going to have take care of you when you no longer have the means to do so yourself.  That's the best gift you can give them.

873643[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. Federal student loans are very easy to get.