Would you fire Jim Mora?

Buffalo Mike1

You don't announce publically that you would love a college coaching job while you already have an NFL job unless you are begging to be fired or you know that your firing is a fait accompli.

Also, it's easier to fire the coach than the overrated, highly paid starting QB. Mora's gone.

I would. What a jerk. Yeah, that's who I would want running my team. Someone who would leave in a heartbeat- right in a Superbowl run. I would give him to the end of the season. And legally, I am sure it would be easy to void his contract.

http://rams.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12/15/f...am-fans-season/

868367[/snapback]

I think Mora is gone from the Falcons at the end of the season if he does not take the team deep into the playoffs.

The falcons owner has spent enough money to put a viable team for the playoffs and Mora and his staff have not been able to do it.

They got Abrahams, Milloy this off season. The trade for Lelie was one of the worst though. I would have rather got Randal El.

Would I fire him if I were the owner?

Well, nothing is as simple as just one comment or just one incident. You have to look at it in it's totallity... the overall context.

1st. Mora has an agent. If he wanted a college job, then he would have one, end of story. His pedigree is such that there are many ADs out there at major universities would have him high on their list.

2nd. We know he's not like his father. He doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve, and he won't pull 18 hour days. There was an article when he was a DC for the 49ers which chronicled his personna. Basically, when he's had enough football, he'll go do something he enjoys, whether it be fishing or hiking, or watching NASCAR.

3rd. He took the job for a reason, whether it was because Vick was aboard or he was promised a certain amount of authority, committment to bringing in free agents, whatever. So, for him to make a comment like that, either the Falcons aren't holding up their end of the deal, he's grown frustrated with Vick and know he's gone as far as he can and Vick is untouchable, both, and possibly he overextended himself and wasn't quite ready for the job.

If I were the owner...I'd definitely sit down and have a long discussion, both separately with he and the GM and then together. Based on those conversations I'd try to reach the best decision for the organization. I don't know what he's being paid, but as an owner I wouldn't want to be left on the hook for paying. His comment about a college job is definitely disturbing at any time, but especially at this point in the season.

My perception of Mora is that he can only take a team to the playoffs and lose. I don't think he loves nthe game like his Dad and he'd like an easier gig. He's probably be a good recruiter at the college level and could consistently have a top 10 or 15 ranked team... but not at a pressure cooker such as Alabama, Miami, or Florida State... he just wouldn't eat, drink and sleep footaball... and that's what it requires at those schools.

He was trying to be funny and his joke backfired on him, and you really shouldn't take his comments seriously.

On the other hand, if he does get fired, it looks like John Kerry has a potential running mate.

868392[/snapback]

Uhm, after he said "I'm serious" for the 3rd time, I don't think he was joking.

He was trying to be funny and his joke backfired on him, and you really shouldn't take his comments seriously.

On the other hand, if he does get fired, it looks like John Kerry has a potential running mate.

868392[/snapback]

Not sure if this is subtle sarcasm or not.

If not, listen to the tape, assuming you haven't already. There was no joke in that voice. He should be gone.

Not sure if this is subtle sarcasm or not. 

If not, listen to the tape, assuming you haven't already.  There was no joke in that voice.  He should be gone.

868481[/snapback]

He didn't sound like he was joking to me.

I wonder how his relationship was with the recent owner (2002), Arthur Blank (co-founder of Home Depot)?

After getting to the 2nd round of playoffs in '02, Blank fired HC Reeves in '03, with Wade Phillips coaching for the last 3 games or so that year.

IIRC, ATL was without a GM for a couple of years - a position that Reeves wanted.

868392[/snapback]

There was zero indication in the tone of Mora's voice that he was kidding around. Saying, "I'm serious" over and over in a serious tone implies to me that he's being serious. That is totally unacceptable behavior for a HC in any sport, let alone one in the NFL whose team is trying to get into the playoffs.

What are your players supposed to think? The fans?? The owner? Well, we know what the owner thinks. Blank is pissed, and rightfully so.

This is exactly why we live in the PC, never say anything about anything in any way world that we live in and why interviews have become perhaps the most useless waste of time in the modern era of sports.

Newsflash, if the Falcons miss the playoffs, it'll have absolutely nothing to do with these comments. They're not a very good team and tonight they're playing a good team. The Flacons have played some pretty sloppy ball thus far and have a "great" QB that somehow seems to not make his team great.

I might fire him, but it's be more because the Falcons seem to have mastered the art of underwhelming with overwhelming talent.

This is exactly why we live in the PC, never say anything about anything in any way world that we live in and why interviews have become perhaps the most useless waste of time in the modern era of sports.

Newsflash, if the Falcons miss the playoffs, it'll have absolutely nothing to do with these comments.  They're not a very good team and tonight they're playing a good team.  The Flacons have played some pretty sloppy ball thus far and have a "great" QB that somehow seems to not make his team great.

I might fire him, but it's be more because the Falcons seem to have mastered the art of underwhelming with overwhelming talent.

868507[/snapback]

I agree except for the last part: overwhelming talent? :thumbdown:

868392[/snapback]

Sometimes you have to know what to make fun of. You don't make fun of your own job in front a national media.