Nate Clements on XM radio a few days ago

Sorry if has been posted already but I didn't see any threads so I'll start this one.

Anyways he starts of with saying he is the best CB in the NFL right now. Guess he is pre - negotiating with Ralp.

Rest of the interview is predictable stuff except he said the guys in the locker room never once doubted themselves and things have started clicking since the by week.

He was on ESPN radio Sunday, after the game...talking about his big game, and saying how his old coach at Ohio State always told him "once you get in the NFL, if you work your ass off the first four or five years" you will be a very rich man...

Nate certainly was happy the Bills won, but he didn't give any indication that he wanted to stay in Buffalo, even when discussing his impending free-agent status. I think he is as good as gone.

I would love to see him stay in Buffalo, but given the Bills situation (ownership not wanting to use their entire salary cap, other free agents like Fletcher, and the fact that the Bills would be wise to start thinking about re-signing Losman, Evans and McGahee now, if they want to keep them), I am not sure making a corner the highest paid guy on the team would be wise.

I am not sure making a corner the highest paid guy on the team would be wise.

867493[/snapback]

This is a very profound statement, one that merits discussion imo.

Generally speaking, I couldn't agree more. Looking around the league, my guess is that few (if any) teams list a corner as their highest paid player. Oakland did 1 or 2 years ago, and this says a lot in itself.

More often than not, the highest paid players are DEs, LTs, and of course QBs leading the list.

Looking at this, the Bills are in a very good situation. Peters and Schobel are star players. They both signed extensions, and are playing for pennies taking into account what they could get in free agency. I for one think that we will see some shocking contracts when free agency begins. A case could be made that it already started when the Vikes signed Hutch.

JP has a few years left as well, so the higher paid positions are pretty much sewed up, other than Kelsay, who I predict will sign with us or another team for a larger contract than Schobel received. I am NOT saying he is worth more mind you, but times have changed, and quickly because of the new CBA.

For the reasons above, and to prevent (hopefully) Marv from drafting another first round DB, I am hoping that the Bills DO re-sign Nate. This would make him our highest paid player, but not for long.

Schobel will soon want to re-negotiate with his 12.5 sacks, and I don't blame him one bit. If Peters keeps improving, he will look over his shoulder and see that he is being paid approx. half of what the Lions are giving Backus. If JP gets better, he will be entitled to (and receive) a huge raise as well. Same thing with Lee Evans.

Because of all this, I tend to think that re-signing Nate would be a good idea, if he is willing to do so.

Sorry to ramble, and thanks again for raising a great point. :ph34r:

I hate Dan Synder for probably wanting to overpay him.

867834[/snapback]

:ph34r: That would be so funny if it weren't for the fact its probably true. If there is a way to sign him we should sign him. It seems many of the folks who take the money and run are never really heard from again (Peerless in Atlanta and Dallas, and Eric in Texas and Antoine (kind of, anyway). Clements may take a juicy offer from us even if he can get a "little juicier" offer elsewhere. I worry about Snyder type dollars though.

Do you guys think it's wise for a Bills cornerback named Nate to bail on the team for a big free agency contract? There's some bad juju in that methinks!

867909[/snapback]

ya know, hadn't thought about that. Maybe we could send him odomes stats AFTER he left, or maybe even better x-rays of his knees!! :lol:

I hate Dan Synder for probably wanting to overpay him.

867834[/snapback]

Snyder sucks meathog, he's trying to be the Yankees of the NFL, the only problem is that there is a salary cap. The idiot trades away all of his draft picks every single year for spent veterans.

I love watching the Redskins fall apart after 5 games, they will never build any cohesiveness (word?) by trading and buying players.

It has and it hasn't.  They succeeded in overpaying to get the players they want, but it hasn't brought them much success.  Suffice it to say that IF Snyder wants Clements and Clements wants the fat payday, he'll be a Redskin.

868237[/snapback]

The only good thing about the whole Snyder thing is at least the best players are getting paid the biggest money. At least that is better than throwing 50M at a rookie out of college, when you have no chance of knowing if he is going to succeed or fail.

The only good thing about the whole Snyder thing is at least the best players are getting paid the biggest money.  At least that is better than throwing 50M at a rookie out of college, when you have no chance of knowing if he is going to succeed or fail.

868256[/snapback]

Adam Archuletta the highest paid safety in the nfl is the best? 30 Mil for a slot receiver? Letting guys like Antonio Pierce and Arrington (who was playing well with the giants before he got injured) and Champ Bailey go. The only arguable top 5 talent they have is clinton portis. The rest of that team offensively and defensively is terribly mediocre.

Adam Archuletta the highest paid safety in the nfl is the best?  30 Mil for a slot receiver?  Letting guys like Antonio Pierce and Arrington (who was playing well with the giants before he got injured) and Champ Bailey go. The only arguable top 5 talent they have is clinton portis. The rest of that team offensively and defensively is terribly mediocre.

868289[/snapback]

My point was that these guys had proved themselves as quality players before

their redskin tenure.

Archuletta was outstanding for the Rams last year

Randal El had some great punt returns and was a big threat in the passing

game for that steeler offense. THe TD that he threw in the super bowl was

perfect.

Shawn SPrings was a good CB with the Seahawks and has proved himself with the Redskins

They paid excellent money for Arrington. Snyder cannot be faulted for his agent screwing up his contract.

Players always play big time in their contract year, then once they get the big contract they go too sleep. Why work hard they have guarantted money for the next x years !

Let him him go if he wants to be the highest paid CB.

868509[/snapback]

The Redskins prove your point true every year.

My point was that these guys had proved themselves as quality players before

their redskin tenure.

Archuletta was outstanding for the Rams last year

Randal El had some great punt returns and was a big threat in the passing

game for that steeler offense.  THe TD that he threw in the super bowl was

perfect.

Shawn SPrings was a good CB with the Seahawks and has proved himself with the Redskins

They paid excellent money for Arrington. Snyder cannot be faulted for his agent screwing up his contract.

I understand what you're saying about unproven rookies being paid too much if they're high draft picks. But what Snyder is doing is wrong. He's throwing pay scales WAY out of whack.