Losman named starter for 2007

Ramius

I think you are asking the right questions, andy. I did not get the impression that DJ called a special press conference to annouce the decision; he answered a question during his regular weekly press conference, that's all.

That being said, I think the statement "save the talk of 2007 until 2007" is disingenuous on the part of people who would rather not have JP as the starter. People have already said that one would certainly announce a contract extension in advance, but in addition, has anyone considered that DJ might have considered using this answer to build up JP's confidence further on the eve of the most meaningful game of his young career? In that sense, not only is it not a problem to mention it now, it makes very good sense to do so.

Did Jauron say this as part of a conversation to the media? Did he come out at a press conference and make this announcement? Was he answering a question from a reporter? I don't think we should be treating this like the Bills were introducing a new head coach or something, unless that's how it appeared.

That said, I agree...worry about the 2007 starter in August of 2007, not December of 2006 when you're still mathematically alive for the playoffs and about to play your biggest rival.

This is also why I think we shouldn't worry about Nall just yet. Two months ago (when it appeared the season was cooked), I was all for seeing what Nall had, as I thought Losman was going nowhere. But now that the offense is playing better and the team is still mathematically alive, let's not rock the boat - keep Losman in there, as it seems he's bonding/gelling with the rest of the offense. Don't take him out now.

867562[/snapback]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting - I thought the Jets game was one of his worst games of the year - he made 2 good throws (both TD passes), but was inaccurate for much of the rest of the game.

That being said, he's earned it through his play the rest of the year IMO.

867549[/snapback]

He was 10-15. That's 5 incompletions. One was a perfect pass to Evans which Lee dropped 30 yards downfield and admitted he dropped. One was right in Josh Reed's hands that he dropped. One was in Peerless's hands that he actually caught but was ruled OB. Granted, that wasn't a perfect pass and should have been better but it hit him in two hands and he caught it. There were two incompletions that were poor passes. One was way over Evans that was a terrible ball. The second I don't recall off hand but I will assume it was terrible. Still, it was only two.

People have already said that one would certainly announce a contract extension in advance, but in addition, has anyone considered that DJ might have considered using this answer to build up JP's confidence further on the eve of the most meaningful game of his young career? In that sense, not only is it not a problem to mention it now, it makes very good sense to do so.

867581[/snapback]

This is easily the best reason that Jauron would say this now - to build up JP's confidence. But the only way it really matters is the context in which he said it - a response to a question is perfectly fine, but to initiate the discussion about it is something else.

JDG, holcombs arm, doucheluca, anthonyF, cover your ears and get out the kleenex out, because you guys will be crying after reading this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2697750

Losman's going to be the starter going into next season, as per Jauron. Guess that will squash the "Draft Quinn!" yells.

867012[/snapback]

As per Jauron. don't forget, he's still an illegitimate head coach to many on the board, chosen by a senile GM and rubber-stamped by an owner with one foot in the grave.

Until Saban or Belichek approve Losman as our QB for next year, these announcements are meaningless. :ph34r:

And 99.9999999% of all people that watch football would say that it is directly related to the Bills offensive line changes made at the bye.

But you (and DeLuca) can't do that for some reason.

Even Ed gets it.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/columnist/AsISe...x?storyid=43282

867430[/snapback]

Which is another way of saying that if the offensive line gets dominated in some upcoming game, we should expect Losman to go back to his old ways. Is this really the point you're trying to make?

JDG, holcombs arm, doucheluca, anthonyF, cover your ears and get out the kleenex out, because you guys will be crying after reading this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2697750

Losman's going to be the starter going into next season, as per Jauron. Guess that will squash the "Draft Quinn!" yells.

867012[/snapback]

Losman's been playing better lately, but let's not get the annointing oil out just yet.

Which is another way of saying that if the offensive line gets dominated in some upcoming game, we should expect Losman to go back to his old ways. Is this really the point you're trying to make?

867765[/snapback]

I'd say in the beginning of the season he looked bad because of the poor offensive line play, and this stunted his growth, but the improved protection has allowed him to grow and develop as a player. He's more comfortable and more confident now and an all-around better quarterback than he was a few months ago, and so he's more suited now to deal with a lousy line.

I'd say in the beginning of the season he looked bad because of the poor offensive line play, and this stunted his growth, but the improved protection has allowed him to grow and develop as a player. He's more comfortable and more confident now and an all-around better quarterback than he was a few months ago, and so he's more suited now to deal with a lousy line.

867775[/snapback]

Bull. If there's anything we learned from Bledsoe, it's that the QB's performance is the most important factor in how the line plays, not vice-versa.

[/sarcasm]

Bull.  If there's anything we learned from Bledsoe, it's that the QB's performance is the most important factor in how the line plays, not vice-versa.

[/sarcasm]

867807[/snapback]

There is some truth to this, but we saw first hand on Sunday how ineffective "quality" QBs like Brady and Pennington looked when there was pressure in their face.