Alcohol On Trains....

Unbelievable.  B-)

[right][snapback]867534[/snapback][/right]

Sure is. Exiled has no problems pontificating morality to us, meanwhile people who LIVE HERE know there has been zero incidents over this issue and that the majority of "problems" with drunks on trains in due to people who BOARDED the train ALREADY blitzed. :ph34r:

Gotta love Eurotrash Olivier's typical "US bad" elitist jab, too. Eff him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure is. Exiled has no problems pontificating morality to us, meanwhile people who LIVE HERE know there has been zero incidents over this issue and that the majority of "problems" with drunks on trains in due to people who BOARDED the train ALREADY blitzed.  :ph34r:

Gotta love Eurotrash Olivier's typical "US bad" elitist jab, too. Eff him.

[right][snapback]867629[/snapback][/right]

RK i pass half my time in France defending the US and the americans vs the eurotrash you talk about so please don't mix me with those stupid anti-americans i have to live with every single day.

For every thing i feel is better in Europe (like being able to have a beer in peace about everywhere) there's probably 10 others things i think are better in the US...

RK i pass half my time in France defending the US and the americans vs the eurotrash you talk about so please don't mix me with those stupid anti-americans i have to live with every single day.

For every thing i feel is  better in Europe (like being able to have a beer in peace about everywhere)  there's probably 10 others things i think are better in the US...

867637[/snapback]

Fine...if Im wrong, then I apologize.

While I didn't read the article...

There's your first problem.

Consuming alcohol on a commuter train seems absurd... This would be the open container type law right?... Can I consume a brew legally while being a passenger in a automobile?

Do they sell the booze on the train? Which would seem doubly absurd for a commuter train...

Now... Amtrak and the lounge car seems okay.

This doesn't mean you can't pack the booze in your bag or anything or carry it bagged up and sealed...

Wow... How bizarre that they would actually let you consume it on a commuter train...

Again, isn't there open container laws that have been on the books for decades?

You say Amtrak lounge car, well thats basically what the bar car is. And as far as carrying it on the train, noone really seems to care (rider-wise). Considering that the ride is generally 1 hour+, folks like to relax with a beer after a long day. Now, I haven't been taking it that long, but I haven't seen anyone getting boozed up excessively or causing a problem. And yes, people drive away after getting off the train or have someone pick them up, but most folks only have 1 or 2 beers the whole time they are on the train. Its not as if folks are doing keg stands for 4+ hours and then driving around.

Back to the subject:

While I didn't read the article... Consuming alcohol on a commuter train seems absurd... This would be the open container type law right?... Can I consume a brew legally while being a passenger in a automobile?

867433[/snapback]

Absolutely. Limosines, party buses, etc.

There's your first problem.

You say Amtrak lounge car, well thats basically what the bar car is.  And as far as carrying it on the train, noone really seems to care (rider-wise).  Considering that the ride is generally 1 hour+, folks like to relax with a beer after a long day.  Now, I haven't been taking it that long, but I haven't seen anyone getting boozed up excessively or causing a problem.  And yes, people drive away after getting off the train or have someone pick them up, but most folks only have 1 or 2 beers the whole time they are on the train.  Its not as if folks are doing keg stands for 4+ hours and then driving around.

867727[/snapback]

Bingo.

The problem is NOT the people, mostly communters, who pick up a tall-boy for the ride home at 6PM on a Tuesday. The disruptive azzholes are those who got tanked ELSEWHERE in NYC and then stumbled to the train. And frankly, thats fine by me. Id rather tolerate drunk !@#$s in a train car than driving next to me on the Grand Central Parkway. Isnt that the whole point?

Bingo.

The problem is NOT the people, mostly communters, who pick up a tall-boy for the ride home at 6PM on a Tuesday. The disruptive azzholes are those who got tanked ELSEWHERE in NYC and then stumbled to the train. And frankly, thats fine by me. Id rather tolerate drunk !@#$s in a train car than driving next to me on the Grand Central Parkway. Isnt that the whole point?

867963[/snapback]

Yes, but you are being pragmatic instead of being PC.

Sellout politicians are vulnerable to bans. They are hard to go against, because said pol can be accused by his/her opponent of being FOR DWI, etc., and there are enough judgemental, weak kneed, fake liberals to accuse them as such. You can see it right here.

The stance that you take on this issue is praiseworthy, but remember, you are going up against zealots, the corrupt, idiots, lemmings, the holier than thou, fake liberals, sellouts, etc. Chances for this ban being shot down are piss poor, and there are many more to come. :lol:

Want to make yourself truly sick? Scroll back to post #37 in this thread, in which a poster explains to a Frenchman (a seemingly decent guy at that) that Americans cannot handle having freedom.

Did you ever think it would come to this? Did you ever expect to hear anything like this from a "liberal?" :lol::doh::lol:

Back to the subject:

While I didn't read the article... Consuming alcohol on a commuter train seems absurd... This would be the open container type law right?... Can I consume a brew legally while being a passenger in a automobile?

Do they sell the booze on the train?  Which would seem doubly absurd for a commuter train...

Now... Amtrak and the lounge car seems okay.

This doesn't mean you can't pack the booze in your bag or anything or carry it bagged up and sealed...

Wow... How bizarre that they would actually let you consume it on a commuter train...

Again, isn't there open container laws that have been on the books for decades?

867433[/snapback]

What's the diff between drinking on a commuter train and on a flight?

Just took the Acela RT to Boston from NYC in 1st Class. Two complementary Heineken's on the return trip. :lol:

It's not like everyone drives home from the train station either. Lots of people get picked up by their wife/hubby/significant other/teenage kids.

Maybe the legislator that wants to ban drinkies on the trains will pony up from his own pocket some of the lost tax revenue his regulation will cause.

What I love are the reasons for the ban.  A teen who was plastered fell through the gap getting ON the train.

Just like NYPD cracking down on nightclubs because two women were killed hours AFTER leaving the nightclubs.

866692[/snapback]

That's just wrong.

From my experience, I take a lot of long train rides and have seen lots of drunken !@#$s on trains. Stumbling, loud, puking, etc...if there's a lounge car, it's almost a guarantee of serious public intoxication. Not sure why that is, but it's something I've noticed. I now associate the long (3+ hour) train ride with degenerate drunks.

Actually... From reading all the comments... I personally don't mind if they serve alcohol... It seems quite cool.

What I think is absurd is that from a business standpoint they want to deal with the hassles of it.

Why do people have to keep the container in a paper-bag?

Alcohol is being phased out... Because the people don't want to deal with the headaches... And not just the drunks... The mess is probably a big concern.

Again... Don't get me wrong... I see where all you are coming from and see the errors of some of my thought.

Yet, the decision lies with the company... I know I wouldn't want the headache, licensing, etc... With serving... And that is okay with me.

Absolutely.  Limosines, party buses, etc.

867836[/snapback]

True... Yet, it is up to them to decide and weigh serving v. the hassles.

Thoughout society it (alcohol consumption) is becoming just not worth it publically.

This is a natural progression of moving away from alcohol in public... Not one of "taking your rights away." It is easier for the public to deal with consuming alcohol in private...

Again, it all about control and making that control easier on operating entities... Nobody is trying to disrupt what you do in private...

Ya, they do come up with lame reason's for discontinuing serving... You know what the best reason would be?

"We no longer want to serve alcohol and have people consume it because we as a train company/Authority do not want the responsibility and the headaches associated with serving and consuming alcohol... We respectfully reserve the right to make this decision to ban open alcholic containers on our train."

How I would say it:

"Too effing bad, I am not serving alcohol or letting you consume alcohol on "my" trains." :lol::doh:

This was a train company (actually, Authority... MTA) decision... No "law" was passed... Case closed... :lol:

On another note it comes down to following the rules set down by the authority in place... Just as it is here on this board...

It is just plain boo-hoo-hoo that alcohol will not be served or consumed anymore...

Things change... Terms of service change.

Take for instance this lock and dam... Come through here as a pleasure boat and normally, you are not required to secure your vessel to the wall, normally you can float through... What will happen if conditions change where you are ordered to secure your vessel to the lock wall during lockage? Will people cry? They do all the time... Too bad... Don't lock through...

What about photographic and video ban at this DoD site? It all becomes the new way of doing business... Sure people don't like it... Yet, those are the rules...

This thread topic really is about making a mountain out of a mole hill and people not excepting the rules and new rules set forth that they have absolutley no say or decision in... It has nothing to do about abridging you individual and private rights...

Trying to set a record for most posts in a row, eh? :lol:

868459[/snapback]

:thumbsup:

I can sum it up in a few words (and a few smilies), there is no fun in that... I don't want people to think that I am taking my "meds" ... ;);)

This is one of those "boo hoo hoo threads" about a topic that some people mistakenly fire up their crusade for...

This year when I have my Christmas party I feel like thowing everyone into a tizzy by not serving/offering alcoholic refreshment... And follow that up for years to come with the same non-alcohol policy... Think some guests will BYO?

Maybe this summer I will visit a State Park that doesn't allow alcohol and the consumption of it... And say: "What the heck, I am gonna drink beer anyway... They did here in 1959."

Then... While setting a world record for consecutive posts, I will piss and whine that this country is going to hell in a hand basket and how my freedoms are being abridged!

:thumbdown:

This is too fun... Like shooting fish in a barrel...

:lol:

I can sum it up in a few words (and a few smilies), there is no fun in that... I don't want people to think that I am taking my "meds" ... ;)  ;)

This is one of those "boo hoo hoo threads" about a topic that some people mistakenly fire up their crusade for...

This year when I have my Christmas party I feel like thowing everyone into a tizzy by not serving/offering alcoholic refreshment... And follow that up for years to come with the same non-alcohol policy...  Think some guests will BYO?

Maybe this summer I will visit a State Park that doesn't allow alcohol and the consumption of it... And say:  "What the heck, I am gonna drink beer anyway... They did here in 1959."

Then... While setting a world record for consecutive posts, I will piss and whine that this country is going to hell in a hand basket and how my freedoms are being abridged!

:thumbdown:

This is too fun... Like shooting fish in a barrel...

868600[/snapback]

I certainly can't, but maybe someone else can make sense out of this drivel. :thumbsup:

Byob to a party? Drink in a state park?

Gotcha! ;)

PS: You are too likeable a person for this to annoy me. Thanks for the dialogue. ;)

I certainly can't, but maybe someone else can make sense out of this drivel.  :thumbdown:

Byob to a party? Drink in a state park?

Gotcha!  ;)

PS: You are too likeable a person for this to annoy me. Thanks for the dialogue.  ;)

868605[/snapback]

Thanks, same here Bill...

Why is it drivel?.. Most state parks, among other places, have alcohol bans... Now your commuter trains do to? :thumbsup::lol: Why is this so hard to comprehend? They studied it and don't want it... You can't please all... Heck, at the old Rockpile you could bring a case of beer, beerball... What not in... Times change... I think they are better for all... Nobody is bothering me from enjoyin' a brew in my house... Some states/counties out here you can't even enjoy alcohol on your front porch or anywhere that is open to the public view... I totally think THAT IS A RIGHT INFRINGEMENT... These laws have existed forever and they should be repealed... Sorry, you feel your "liberties" are being taken away in this case... ;);)

The point is this isn't is a LAW banning alcohol, it is a RULE imposed by the MTA... Nobody says if you don't like it, you have to take the train.

The argument is not what you or I think... The decision is made for us... I may not like it, but I am not screaming "my rights are being taken away." What right? To do what you want when you are on someone's elses property?... Ya, the MTA might take your tax dollars... But, it still isn't your right to consume.

The MTA changed its Terms of Service... Plain and simple... And you don't like it... Heck, I don't like it either... But, I believe it is for the better... The MTA was making 350,000k in revenue from sales, it took some balls to go up against that extra money which really isn't much in the grand scheme... All the hassles/staffing/licensing/clean up have been greatly reduced now...

Take care!