Attention Deficit Disorder

plenzmd1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am genuinely irritated with some of the replies in this thread.

It's not diet. It's not environment. ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. And the medication WON'T turn your child into a zombie. ADHD should be addressed by professionals, not parents. ADHD is seemingly "over-diagnosed" because it was almost NEVER diagnosed in the past. It wasn't understood by doctors and education professionals. It was assumed that it was a natural part of growing up.

What was the result? An entire generation, indeed generations, grew up struggling with what can be a debilitating DISEASE. An illness that robs people of the ability to function in society. That's what it is folk. It isn't little Johnny acting up. Little Johnny can't HELP but act up when his brain isn't behaving as it should.

You want to keep your kid off meds? That's your deal. But I'll guarantee when little Johnny's a teenager or older, he'll self-medicate to deal with the issues he's got. You don't want that, do you?

I am genuinely irritated with some of the replies in this thread.

It's not diet. It's not environment. ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. And the medication WON'T turn your child into a zombie. ADHD should be addressed by professionals, not parents. ADHD is seemingly "over-diagnosed" because it was almost NEVER diagnosed in the past. It wasn't understood by doctors and education professionals. It was assumed that it was a natural part of growing up.

What was the result? An entire generation, indeed generations, grew up struggling with what can be a debilitating DISEASE. An illness that robs people of the ability to function in society. That's what it is folk. It isn't little Johnny acting up. Little Johnny can't HELP but act up when his brain isn't behaving as it should.

You want to keep your kid off meds? That's your deal. But I'll guarantee when little Johnny's a teenager or older, he'll self-medicate to deal with the issues he's got. You don't want that, do you?

866413[/snapback]

Joe, thats why i asking for some personal experiences. At this point, I know nothing about ADD. But when I spoke with the doctor to schedule the more in depth consult on why the diagnosis, treatment options etc, I said it seems to me that ADD is overdiagnosed and maybe is an easy way out. At that point, he said he can't cover the ground in a 5 minute conversation that he is covering with us over 90 minutes next Wed, but that most studies show it is still severly "underdiagnosed". So I am just starting the research, and I sincerly appreciate the replies.

I will say , as I mentioned in my original post, he is in a private school, so there is NO benefit to either the school or teacher for us to get this diagnosis. I specifically asked that he be placed in his teachers classroom, as I know her and her teaching methods, and her view on discipline, which we happen to share. She is rather old school, as we are, and believes in being very strict.

But like I said, his behavior is exemplary, and his kindness and unselfishness, according to her, is rare for a 5 year old boy.(glad he is not so kind on the rink), She was just worried that based on his tests and intelligence, he should be picking things up quicker than he is, and that is how this ball got rolling.

Also, I must say my first reaction was no stinkin meds for my kid, but as I thought about that that was prolly an opiniion formed based on some 20/20, 60 minutes/Primetime report, and not borne out by any real understanding of the issue. So, by this time next week hopefully I will more fully understand the disease, the symptoms, and the strategies moving forward!!

Joe, thats why i asking for some personal experiences. At this point, I know nothing about ADD. But when I spoke with the doctor to schedule the more in depth consult on why the diagnosis, treatment options etc, I said it seems to me that ADD is overdiagnosed and maybe is an easy way out. At that point, he said he can't cover the ground in a 5 minute conversation that he is covering with us over 90 minutes next Wed, but that most studies show it is still severly "underdiagnosed". So I am just starting the research, and I sincerly appreciate the replies.

I will say , as I mentioned in my original post, he is in a private school, so there is NO benefit to either the school or teacher for us to get this diagnosis. I specifically asked that he be placed in his teachers classroom, as I know her and her teaching methods, and her view on discipline, which we happen to share. She is rather old school, as we are, and believes in being very strict.

But like I said, his behavior is exemplary, and his kindness and unselfishness, according to her, is rare for a 5 year old boy.(glad he is not so kind on the rink), She was just worried that based on his tests and intelligence, he should be picking things up quicker than he is, and that is how this ball got rolling.

Also, I must say my first reaction was no stinkin meds for my kid, but as I thought about that that was prolly an opiniion formed based on some 20/20, 60 minutes/Primetime report, and not borne out by any real understanding of the issue. So, by this time next week hopefully I will more fully understand the disease, the symptoms, and the strategies moving forward!!

866444[/snapback]

ADHD doesn't make you evil. That's a stereotype.

In fact, mental illness is the one stigma still acceptable in our society. We don't have lepers any more, so people who take medication for mental problems have become the new lepers. Don't let society tell you what's right. Listen to your doctor. Get a second opinion. Then make a decision.

I wish the treatment options that are available today were available 20 years ago.

But I'll guarantee when little Johnny's a teenager or older, he'll self-medicate to deal with the issues he's got. You don't want that, do you?

866413[/snapback]

I am genuinely irritated by the tone of this comment. The fact of the matter is, I have been self-medicating myself for years, with extra doses on Sundays, and I find it much easier to deal with football, chicks, customers, and this board on Monday.

Self-medication is highly underrated and if anyone needs help to become better at self-medication, please let me know.

Self medication: When facing reality has no upside.

The one thing I am not worried about is his smarts, he is my kid after all :censored: Seriously, his smarts are fine, how we get him to tap into those there smarts is the issue!!!!

866185[/snapback]

He may be very smart but school just does not interest him. He might not get motivated to learn about literature or history, that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with him. He might not be motivated to do anything. That would be a problem, I guess, but no pill or surgery will cure it. We just expect kids to be motivated and ambitious, but many times they are not. Some people don't get ambitious until they hit 40. Some never do.

My son was diagnosed with ADD in the 3rd grade.  We both suffered for almost two years, I watched him through meds that turned him into a zombi.  I finally did a lot of research on sugar and artificial coloring etc.  Totally changed his diet to add a lot of fresh vegetables, whole grains and little sugar.  I disobeyed the doctor and stopped his meds.  I didn't go back to another doctor for another year and by that time he seemed to be magically "healed".

OK so flame me. Just feel that the labels they put on our kids may not always be right.

Please, definitely get a 2nd opinion.

866210[/snapback]

Dead on. Docs wnated to throw me on medicine for that type of thing when I was in elementary school (I'm 27 now). My mother did exactly this. Cut out sugars, certain food additives. They also got me into a few things where I could burn off the energy (Karate, etc). It wasn't ADD at all, I was just a hyper kid.

-Jeff

I've heard of it having a calming effect, but never a zombie-like effect

I didn't know it back then, but if a child is given meds for ADD and doesn't actually have it...there can be some varying reactions.

Joe, I understand your frustration at some of our comments. But keep in mind that some of these issues go back many years, my son is almost 23. However, I will stand by the diet thing first. As a society, we have been killing ouselves with too much sugar for a couple of generations now. When did they start adding sugar products to baby food and formula??

I didn't know it back then, but if a child is given meds for ADD and doesn't actually have it...there can be some varying reactions.

Joe, I understand your frustration at some of our comments.  But keep in mind that some of these issues go back many years, my son is almost 23.  However, I will stand by the diet thing first. As a society, we have been killing ouselves with too much sugar for a couple of generations now. When did they start adding sugar products to baby food and formula??

866700[/snapback]

I've heard of sugar causing obesity and diabetes in children. It simply IS NOT the cause of ADHD.

It can't hurt to put a kid on a healthy diet. But it isn't going to solve ADHD.

I've heard of sugar causing obesity and diabetes in children. It simply IS NOT the cause of ADHD.

866714[/snapback]

Yup. It'll solve behavior problems which are due to being hyper and don't actually have ADHD, but it won't solve ADHD.

There is also confusion about ADHD vs ADD, and how they aren't the same thing.

plenz - the symptoms you describe (good classroom behavior yet difficulties learning) sounds a lot like my experience, though it didn't actually become that big of a problem till college. The higher schooling and less-structured it is, the more of an issue it'll become.

I would urge it to be dealt with as early as possible, so you don't run into the same issues that I had since it went untreated.

Yup. It'll solve behavior problems which are due to being hyper and don't actually have ADHD, but it won't solve ADHD.

There is also confusion about ADHD vs ADD, and how they aren't the same thing.

plenz - the symptoms you describe (good classroom behavior yet difficulties learning) sounds a lot like my experience, though it didn't actually become that big of a problem till college.  The higher schooling and less-structured it is, the more of an issue it'll become.

866720[/snapback]

Exactly. I had major issues once I got to college because it required time management, self-motivation and incredible attention span.

In short it was NOT the environment for me :censored:

866714[/snapback]

It depends. It will, only because ADHD is very overdiagnosed nowadays. By which I mean: it will, in the numerous cases where ADHD is not actually ADHD.

It's just too easy nowadays to want the "magic pill" that cures what ails you...particularly so when you're a teacher or school administrator that just wants the little brat to sit down and shut up, and it's so much easier to tell the parents "Your dear child needs Ritilan, sorry to say" than it is to deal with it with the meager tools at hand. ADHD is a real illness...but not all ADHD diagnoses are really ADHD.

It's just too easy nowadays to want the "magic pill" that cures what ails you...particularly so when you're a teacher or school administrator that just wants the little brat to sit down and shut up, and it's so much easier to tell the parents "Your dear child needs Ritilan, sorry to say" than it is to deal with it with the meager tools at hand.  ADHD is a real illness...but not all ADHD diagnoses are really ADHD.

867145[/snapback]

And not just them, it can be doctors too. I had one, I refered to him as the "pill doctor". He would just prescribe stuff without going into any full blown tests.

And not just them, it can be doctors too. I had one, I refered to him as the "pill doctor". He would just prescribe stuff without going into any full blown tests.

867270[/snapback]

And then, when people die from it (like misprescribed anti-depressants), let's blame the drugs and not the idiot doctors.

The FDA should start putting warning labels on doctors: "Warning: this bozo may be too lazy to do his job properly."