Terrence Pennington:

Astrobot

I watched the first quarter over again just watching our RT Pennington vs. LDE Shaun Ellis. I classified what happened as follows:

Never Seemed To Have a Defender Opposite Him----------1 Time

Gave Ellis a Love Tap, But Ellis Didn’t Make Tackle---------1

1 On 1 With Ellis, Held Ellis Up Enough------------------------8

Took Ellis And a LB Out Of Play--------------------------------4 ****

Had Help With Ellis----------------------------------------------2

Ellis Made The Tackle-------------------------------------------1

False Starts/Penalties On---------------------------------------0

****When Pennington took 2 players out, amazing things happened. On one play, Pennington pushed Ellis into the other DE. On McGahee’s 57-yard touchdown, Pennington got Ellis, then took out a Linebacker. On Parrish’s longest run, he took 2 players out of the play.

I’m impressed with who we have at RT right now.

(Will start another thread where I’m less kind to Kelsay on D)

Great work, and great to hear.

I saw a couple of times where he was one-on-one with the DE. Help was available from the FB, but the FB never ended up doing anything because he didn't need the help.

Pennington had help only twice in the first quarter. I'd say we're heading to the point where the TE's CAN go out on pass patterns.

864866[/snapback]

That has really been the achilles heel of this offense all season. Fairchild has even said it. We've had to keep backs and TEs in far too often to help out the linemen.

Once that starts changing, we'll start seeing some great things...especially from guys like Price and Reed.

Pennington reminds me of Hicks....okay, before you say that Hicks was terrible he did have one good year, in 98. Hopefully unlike hicks he can build on it. Spend the money to get Steinbach and Leonord Davis (who might get LT money, even though he is really just a guard) and see what this team can do!

or re-sign gandy to play RG, if davis is too rich for our blood

Peters goes against Taylor. So we will see what Taylor can do (or not do).  :w00t:

865236[/snapback]

I think Peters will give Taylor all he can handle. For a guy that big, he's got some nifty feet and athleticism.

Perhaps the most under-rated OT in the game today.

It is great that our OL is improving. However, I will be convinced that we have a good OL, when they go against some of the best DL like that of the Patriots. The dolphins will be a good test this week. They have a good OL.

Our OL failed against good pass rush from Green Bay and the Colts after the switchover.

However, it takes time for an OL to gel. Hopefully these guys have a better understanding of each other after having played as a single unit for the last 6 games.

It is great that our OL is improving.  However, I will be convinced that we have a good OL, when they go against some of the best DL like that of the Patriots.  The dolphins will be a good test this week. They have a good OL.

Our OL failed against good pass rush from Green Bay and the Colts after the switchover.

However, it takes time for an OL to gel. Hopefully these guys have a better understanding of each other after having played as a single unit for the last 6 games.

865493[/snapback]

Well, Green Bay and the Colts were the first two games after the switch, so I'm willing to give them at least a partial mulligan for those. They are definitely showing improvement over the last few weeks, and they have faced a couple of very good defensive fronts in San Diego and Jacksonville. Both were at home, however, where we have a small advantage, and even then they had their troubles. Against those teams on the road, they would not have done so well.

That said, I think we need to look at the line in terms of steps: first, they need to demonstrate that they can handle an average defensive front. I expect they will still struggle against the good fronts, but that will come later, assuming they are coming along as we hope they will.

It is great that our OL is improving.  However, I will be convinced that we have a good OL, when they go against some of the best DL like that of the Patriots.  The dolphins will be a good test this week. They have a good OL.

865493[/snapback]

They did a good job against Jacksonville, who has a great DL.