Couple of new thoughts not discussed in other

ganesh

1. Has McGahee turned a corner ? We talk about Losman turning a corner. Mcgahee has had other good games, but this was a game where he said he wanted to be out there with his teammates and make plays for them. And then in the 4th qtr, he took the game into his own hands pounding the Jets defense for the 7 minute drive. Will he be a long term stay at Buffalo or will he run for the money after next season ? May be he develops a rapport with Evans and Losman and wants to stay back and build something big here.

2. Has McNally salvaged his coaching job here at Buffalo ?

3. Does Nate Clements still want to re-sign here or does he feel he has a better chance to get both money and a super bowl in some other place ? Has Dick Jauron sold his program to these players that they will play here for him for slightly less money ?

My problem with McGahee -- and this is probably just me -- is he always seems to need a reason to play well. Whether it's recapturing the lead role after watching A. Thomas play well for a couple of weeks, or being called out to hit the hole more, or to be a better pass blocker, or toying around with Vilma...it just seems he needs something to motivate him each week.

When he has nothing, he's Bill Bixby. When he's pissed or motiviated, he's Lou Ferrigno. Great backs are Lou Ferrigno all the time.

1. I'd be very careful about concluding anything about this season so far. 2004 is still too fresh.

2. Yes, and lets keep the players in place. The one position that might be upgradeable is RG, IMHO. Continuity counts for a hell of a lot on the offensive line, and I think McNally would agree.

3. The next three will be huge. Lets hope Whitner, Fletcher, Youboty, and the rest of the Ohio contingent have developed a tight-knit group. And Clements is Exhibit A why it's better to win even if you don't make the playoffs than lose for a draft pick.

My problem with McGahee -- and this is probably just me -- is he always seems to need a reason to play well. Whether it's recapturing the lead role after watching A. Thomas play well for a couple of weeks, or being called out to hit the hole more, or to be a better pass blocker, or toying around with Vilma...it just seems he needs something to motivate him each week.

When he has nothing, he's Bill Bixby. When he's pissed or motiviated, he's Lou Ferrigno. Great backs are Lou Ferrigno all the time.

863172[/snapback]

He is after all a Baby and needs coddling to do well.

I heard Jerry Sullivan say something that I thought was pretty smart on the radio this morning concerning Clements. First he said that he spoke to a few people in the Bills organization, and they don't think they have a chance at signing Nate. That may or may not be true, that may have been said two months ago and now since Nate has played great the Bills may be reconsidering. I do not put all that much stock in that unsubstantiated and non-sourced report.

But...

What he said that I think is smart is that he thought Ralph would not put out the money that it will take to sign Clements. That Ralph doesn't think cornerbacks are as important or tough to get than other positions, and that Ralph is crying poverty to the owners to get some favorable rulings for the smaller cities and that he just won't put out a 15 million bonus when he is crying poverty. Even though he has it and the team could afford it and maybe even the coaches, officials (Modrak/Guy/Marv/Jauron, etc) may want him. Sullivan's probably pretty right about that. The bold is my comment and not anything that Sullivan said.

On a side note, I have criticized Clements a lot over the years for being overrated. I do, however, think he has been a absolute stud the last eight games or so. And may be worth the money he will get (simply because the money is there to pay him because of the TV contracts).

Also, I have criticized Jerry Sullivan a lot over the years, and he has been more than fair IMO the last few months, too, in his criticism and praise. I don't always agree with what he says, but he has been fair handed and mostly reasonable. Good job to both NC and JS.

3. Does Nate Clements still want to re-sign here or does he feel he has a better chance to get both money and a super bowl in some other place ?  Has Dick Jauron sold his program to these players that they will play here for him for slightly less money ?

863153[/snapback]

I heard Nate Clements on ESPN Radio, after yesterdays' game.

He certainly sounded more interested in money than the fortunes of his current team.

I am not saying I don't think the Bills will re-sign him, just that I am pretty sure the Bills are not going to get any "home-town" discount. Most of the interview revolved around talking about yesterdays' game, Ohio States chances in the BCS championship, and how his old college coach taught him well, that if he "works his ass off" his first 4 or 5 years in the NFL, he will be get his big $ reward. I guess to Nate, 6 terrific games, cancel out a season and a half of spotty performances.

Nothing against Nate, I would love to keep him, but I get the feeling it isn't going to work out that way.

Also, I have criticized Jerry Sullivan a lot over the years, and he has been more than fair IMO the last few months, too, in his criticism and praise. I don't always agree with what he says, but he has been fair handed and mostly reasonable. Good job to both NC and JS.

863200[/snapback]

Honestly, for all the pissing and moaning people do about Jerry Sullivan around here, I think, in the end, he is more often than not, correct. I see the same people who flip out over something he said, say the same thing later...

I hope his assesment of Ralph's willingness to pay for corners' is not true, but it kind of looks that way. I wonder how the old man feels about drafting them in the first round...

2. Has McNally salvaged his coaching job here at Buffalo ?

863153[/snapback]

I dont think McNally's job was ever in jeopardy to anyone but the fans. There is a reason why many have said that he is the best OL coach in the game when we picked him up.

I guess to Nate, 6 terrific games, cancel out a season and a half of spotty performances.

863215[/snapback]

:( Refer to this post for my answer to that.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=863144

You're replacing Clements with a 3rd round pick who has yet to do anything in his rookie season with only 3 games remaining? :P

863257[/snapback]

Ditto what he said.