You guys won't believe this...

Nostradamus

So, as some of you know, a letter was sent to Ed Hochuli (Sunday's Game) congratulating him on Sunday's game. (That thread has sonce been deleted). A follow up letter was then sent to clarify that the letter was not in any way intended as a threat, as some of the words were ambiguous and could have been misconstrued. And... HE wrote back to me! Check this out.

"EDWARD HOCHULI" <EHochuli@JSHFIRM.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

To: "Matt Albert" <mattalbert23@yahoo.com>

Based on your retraction email, Matt, it looks like you may not have sent this email to me, but I have to admit, I got a chuckle out of it.

I know I didn't please the Buffalo fans this weekend, but it's pretty rare for the fans of the losing teams to think the officiating was any good. Although I'm sure you won't agree, the only call I wish I could "have back" was the one where I called J.P. sacked before he passed the ball in the second quarter. I thought his knee was down before he threw the ball, but on review, I see that it wasn't. There is no way to fix that mistake on replay, either. I hate having made that mistake.

Rest assured, though, that the NFL grades all our games very thoroughly – every play of every game – and those grades determine who gets fired, and who works playoff games. As officials, we are very serious of working fair games and making no mistakes, although just as the players and anyone in everyday life, no one is perfect.

In any event, tell whoever wrote this email that I enjoyed it, and I’ll be picking up my bullet-proof jacket this afternoon.

Ed

I swear this is totally legit. How funny is that??? After reading his response, I feel a lot better about Sunday's game, and the NFL in general. While I don't agree with his assessment that there was only one bad call, I am now fully confident that he called that game without an agenda and to the best of his ability. Thoughts??

That is pretty funny. After the game I went over to my neighbors house. He is a former NFL running back and I asked him if he thought the NFL was ridged. He laughed and told me it was close to impossible. Not that I felt any better about the game Sunday, but it does give me some hope the Smoking Man isn't behind screwing the Bills.

That is pretty funny. After the game I went over to my neighbors house. He is a former NFL running back and I asked him if he thought the NFL was ridged. He laughed and told me it was close to impossible. Not that I felt any better about the game Sunday, but it does give me some hope the Smoking Man isn't behind screwing the Bills.

858068[/snapback]

You're tellin me that you don't think the Smoking Man can't put a mild halucinagen in the Refs pregame meal and use suggesttive phrases to make them think they see tipped passes? Come on, this is ancient Cold War technology. It's been done before on numerous occasions.

With the extensive undercover work it took to obtain Hochuli's email address (google.com), and after reading EH's response, I have a feeling this was not the first "You are the worst ref and I'm going to burn your house down" email he's ever received.

Good for him.... Obviously Sunday was not the easiest game. Many games do not have more then a single tough call. Sunday there were 4-5 and all were fairly significant calls and all went against the Bills.

As for Ed, how many of those were his calls? He is a lawyer and as you can read he fessed up to one. He did not make those other calls did he???

So, as some of you know, a letter was sent to Ed Hochuli (Sunday's Game) congratulating him on Sunday's game. (That thread has sonce been deleted). A follow up letter was then sent to clarify that the letter was not in any way intended as a threat, as some of the words were ambiguous and could have been misconstrued. And... HE wrote back to me! Check this out.

"EDWARD HOCHULI" <EHochuli@JSHFIRM.com>  Add to Address Book  Add Mobile Alert

To: "Matt Albert" <mattalbert23@yahoo.com>

Based on your retraction email, Matt, it looks like you may not have sent this email to me, but I have to admit, I got a chuckle out of it. 

I know I didn't please the Buffalo fans this weekend, but it's pretty rare for the fans of the losing teams to think the officiating was any good.  Although I'm sure you won't agree, the only call I wish I could "have back" was the one where I called J.P. sacked before he passed the ball in the second quarter.  I thought his knee was down before he threw the ball, but on review, I see that it wasn't.  There is no way to fix that mistake on replay, either.  I hate having made that mistake.

Rest assured, though, that the NFL grades all our games very thoroughly – every play of every game – and those grades determine who gets fired, and who works playoff games.  As officials, we are very serious of working fair games and making no mistakes, although just as the players and anyone in everyday life, no one is perfect. 

In any event, tell whoever wrote this email that I enjoyed it, and I’ll be picking up my bullet-proof jacket this afternoon.

Ed

I swear this is totally legit. How funny is that??? After reading his response, I feel a lot better about Sunday's game, and the NFL in general. While I don't agree with his assessment that there was only one bad call, I am now fully confident that he called that game without an agenda and to the best of his ability. Thoughts??

858053[/snapback]

So, what did the original letter say? Also might want to XXXX out those email addresses.

Jeff

Ed's made it all the way up the ranks to the NFL. If there's one job where you get verbally abused, repeatedly, and in some creatively horrible ways, it's referee at high levels. I'm sure he's heard much much worse, many many times before.

Not that I would excuse the original letter, though.

So, what did the original letter say? Also might want to XXXX out those email addresses.

Jeff

858089[/snapback]

This is the original letter. It was meant in good fun, which is the way he took it, and the way a lot of tight asses on this board won't take it.

My bad.

Hey Ed, I was at the Bills-Chargers game Sunday that

you refereed. I thought you had a great game, and was

very impressed with your evenhandedness and

impartiality. I'm sure it is those qualities that make

you such an effective attorney.

There is such a misconception that lawyers are on the

take and always just trying to make an extra buck.

But, it was clear from your game on Sunday that you

are all about fairness and propriety. As a Diehard

Bills fan, we appreciate that.

In fact, we (my friends and I) were so impressed with

your performance that, when you come back to Buffalo

sometime, we would like to take you out to dinner and

Talk with you. Or, maybe we will just come out west

and Meet up with you. I've heard its beautiful in the

desert, and it will be nice to get out of the snow!

Anyway Ed, I have to go to my weekly target practice

now, but I'm sure we will Meet up soon. Warmest

regards to your family,

Matt

PS. My brother is a big fan of your, and would love an

autograph on his football. Please advise if that is possible.

Good for him....  Obviously Sunday was not the easiest game.  Many games do not have more then a single tough call.  Sunday there were 4-5 and all were fairly significant calls and all went against the Bills. 

As for Ed, how many of those were his calls?  He is a lawyer and as you can read he fessed up to one.  He did not make those other calls did he???

858083[/snapback]

Yep, I can only think of the in the grasp/down one he admitted was wrong about, and that is a tough area this year across the league.

I think the officiating cost us a great deal, but I think Ed is probably the best ref in football, and he didn't make the biggest mistakes of the game, notably the pass interference non-calls.

With the extensive undercover work it took to obtain Hochuli's email address (google.com), and after reading EH's response, I have a feeling this was not the first "You are the worst ref and I'm going to burn your house down" email he's ever received.

858076[/snapback]

I was just going to pee on his lawn.