Yet Another Post About Jason Peters

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull sh-- man. bull sh--. He was 3 yards from the first down marker when he dove. He landed a foot short, easy.

That was the one spot the Refs got right.

856463[/snapback]

Difference of opinion, what can you do.

Regardless, this is the bottom line right here. You give Anthony Thomas a strong run blocking line, he'll get through the line and into the second level, and he'll continue only as far as running straight and using his power will take him. But next year, you give Willis a strong run blocking line, and its a different story. He'll get into the 2nd level and the same cutbacks he's making this year behind the line, he'll be making on the safety 10 yards downfield. We'll have a gamebreaker on our hands, and you'll see more of what you saw against Jacksonville. Those kind of runs change the result of NFL games. I'll take McGahee.

But next year, you give Willis a strong run blocking line, and its a different story. He'll get into the 2nd level and the same cutbacks he's making this year behind the line, he'll be making on the safety 10 yards downfield. We'll have a gamebreaker on our hands, and you'll see more of what you saw against Jacksonville. Those kind of runs change the result of NFL games. I'll take McGahee.

856470[/snapback]

Uh-huh. I'll wait and see. I've YET to see Willis outrun anybody. I doubt he ever will. Frank Gore is twice the back McGahee will ever be, and he runs behind a HORRIBLE OL.

Uh-huh. I'll wait and see. I've YET to see Willis outrun anybody. I doubt he ever will. Frank Gore is twice the back McGahee will ever be, and he runs behind a HORRIBLE OL.

856475[/snapback]

Just so you know, I'd give up McGahee for Gore. I don't have delusions that McGahee is the end-all be-all of halfbacks. Its the "this team is better off with A-Train" argument I'm dead set against. And I'm pretty interested to see Willis behind a good line, hopefully it'll be next season.

856475[/snapback]

Then you didnt watch the Jax game. On his second TD run both of the DBs had the angle on him and he flew past both. The second one gave up before the play was over because he knew he couldn't catch Willis. It seems he isn't fast because he never, I repeat, never, gets a hole big enough to break into the secondary without being hit like virtually every other back in the league does. And it's not because he's dancing. He starts dancing when there are no holes. I like the way A train runs hard and hits the hole. But he is a perfect back-up. Willis needs to play better, and make better decisions, and the line needs to run block a lot better for this to be a good running team. The coaches also have to mix up the plays a little better so the defense isn't always able to take the run away.

. Willis needs to play better, and make better decisions,

856514[/snapback]

And that is the problem in a nutshell right there......He isn't a very smart football player after what 4 years now.....I for one will not be holding my breath waiting for that day to come.....

Looking forward to see who marv drafts next year, to come in and challenge this guy....should be fun to watch... :D

And that is the problem in a nutshell right there......He isn't a very smart football player after what 4 years now.....I for one will not be holding my breath waiting for that day to come.....

Looking forward to see who marv drafts  next year, to come in and challenge this guy....should be fun to watch... :D

856555[/snapback]

I don't agree at all that he isn't a smart football player. He really just never gets holes. Some players, A Train, for example, just run straight and hard on every play. They may eke out a yard or two more than a dancer but they will rarely if ever break one. Or get a 10-15 yard run on the play they are getting 3-4. Willis is a cutback and breakaway runner. Unfortunately, in his years on the Bills he has been a victim of two things, woefully bad run blocking, and a leg that didn't allow him to accelerate like he was used to, until probably this year. But he is simply not getting the opportunities.

When I say that he needs to make better decisions, I mean he simply has to realize that he isn't getting the blocking, and isn't getting the holes, and his teammates are not capable yet of coming through for him so that his patience will pay off and he can explode into the secondary. The holes never materialize. Almost all great backs are patient runners, look for holes and then explode. LT doesn't have to wait, the holes just open up for him a lot because his blocking is so much better. It's rather remarkable that McGahee really never ever gets a large hole to run through. Ever. And it's not because he's dancing. he dances when he sees there is zero hole.

Either way, the Bills need a nasty pair of guards who can get him past the line of scrimage. These moves that frustrate fans now will thrill the same fans when he makes them in more of an open field. Line up Steinbach next to Peters in 07 and we will be watching Willis make these moves 10 yards upfield!

I am not enough of an optimist by nature, but I am sensing very good things for the Bills in 07. The cap space is there, the spirit is there, the LT is there, and it looks as if the qb is there.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree Bill, it would be awesome. Preston could be adequate, i tried to watch more of the right side yesterday. I'm looking forward to this weekend where I can see it live.

Kelly the Dog explained it very well but I'll settle this stupid argument: Willis is better than Thomas. Period. Willis is a quality starter, Thomas a very solid backup. I'd go as far as saying I'd dump Thomas if a RB who could be a more change up type fell in the draft. I would love to have a Jones-Drew of Jacksonville type back behind Willis and to even push him some, but I'm way happier with Thomas than Shaud Williams!

Kelly the Dog explained it very well but I'll settle this stupid argument: Willis is better than Thomas. Period. Willis is a quality starter, Thomas a very solid backup. I'd go as far as saying I'd dump Thomas  if a RB who could be a more change up type fell in the draft. I would love to have a Jones-Drew of Jacksonville type back behind Willis and to even push him some, but I'm way happier with Thomas than Shaud Williams!

856613[/snapback]

Agreed. I'd keep Willis (he's easily the best back on our current roster), but I'd draft or sign a young guy to push him (as the number 2) and possibly take over if he continues to underwhelm at crucial times in the game.

Easy AJZ. He started out as a DE and DT in High School and his first year and a half at Arkansas. He's a phonomenal athlete, but all along there were obviously issues in finding the right spot for him. I think that if The Bills had a real Offensive Line, he'd be an absolute terror as a Tight End. I think he could play DE at an All Pro level. What do you do with a guy that's that talented and flat-out gifted? The Bills need linemen in the worst way, and they're using him in a formerly weak spot and he's doing incredibly well and there's no reason to doubt that he'll continue to prosper there at LT. Now THAT makes a lot of us happy.

But I think it's a stretch to say nobody looked at the guy as a Lineman. By all accounts he was projected there, but he had only three years of college ball and none in a "Line" position. Who could blame the scouts for passing on him (and remember his Wonderlick). He was too big a gamble for most teams. Thankfully nobody wanted a demon TE, and DonnaHo was a gambling sort. This might be his best ever "pick" - although let's not forget - he was undrafted.

You're right....I don't know what I was getting all excited about. It should have gone without saying that sooner or later all we needed to do was bring in an UDFA TE (one who had experience as a d-lineman, too....duly noted), stick him on the line, and we'd have the most important position on our line solidified for the next decade. :D

I'd like to see Willis and AT share about half the carries. I'd also like to see a lot more misdirections and off-tackle plays. The up-the-middle sh-- is old and works about 1 out of 10 attempts. The guards are really getting better at pass protection, but they get very little push on the run.

I don't know what it is that Willis is lacking. I don't question his heart or toughness in coming back from the knee injury -- and playing through the painful rib injury now. I don't know... It just doesn't seem like he uses his head. There are just too many times, where he's got an easy first down if he just moves forward -- but tries dancing around waiting for something "bigger" to develop.

Funny enough, in the post game comments Willis made inferences recognizing that he spent too much time dancing rather than driving forward. The Chargers' interior line is not that exceptional... as JP's 4-5 yard QB sneaks should attest. Willis spent too much time trying to take everything to the outside -- and to the left in particular. The word is out that the left side of our line is superior to the right, so teams are starting to roll defenders in that direction.

I think it is silly to suggest that A-Train has the skill-set that Willis does. (Did you check out Thomas' attempt at blocking Merriman?) However, Thomas does hit the hole and move forward with much greater acceleration than Willis does. I guess what it boils down to, is there is a time to dance -- and a time to just fire ahead and get those yards.

Note that Green rushed for about 10 yards per carry against the Jets yesterday, so look for Willis to bounce back in the Meadowlands on Sunday.

Please, Bill, tell me why Anthony Thomas gets so many more yards out of running behind this line than McGahee does.

Perfect example of why McGahee has to go...The PERFECTLY executed screen play in which he had a minimum of 5 yards upfield...all he had to do was run up the field. What did he do? He stopped, took a step sideways, took a step the other way, then tried to dive for the first down, only to end up 4 inches or so shy.

Next time the Bills ran a RB screen, it was to Thomas. He made 8 yards out of basically the same play.

WILLIS HAS TO GO.

856415[/snapback]

i am afraid you're right. WHEN willis comes to play, he's really awesome. There have been many games where he's done a spectacular job of turning chickenshit (ie....his blocking) into chicken salad. and he deserves credit for that.

but he was AWFUL yesterday. i really wish jauron would say it was because he was sick or something, because that was terrible performance. Like i said elsewhere, he either wasn't 100%, in which case he should have been BENCHED in favor of thomas, or he just didn't show up, in which case we don't need him.

i hope i'm wrong, but he really just comes across as a guy who doesn't like to play in the cold. that is the LAST thing we need in buffalo...because if this team ever gets good, almost ALL our big games will be played in the cold!

I don't agree at all that he isn't a smart football player. He really just never gets holes. Some players, A Train, for example, just run straight and hard on every play. They may eke out a yard or two more than a dancer but they will rarely if ever break one. Or get a 10-15 yard run on the play they are getting 3-4. Willis is a cutback and breakaway runner. Unfortunately, in his years on the Bills he has been a victim of two things, woefully bad run blocking, and a leg that didn't allow him to accelerate like he was used to, until probably this year. But he is simply not getting the opportunities.

When I say that he needs to make better decisions, I mean he simply has to realize that he isn't getting the blocking, and isn't getting the holes, and his teammates are not capable yet of coming through for him so that his patience will pay off and he can explode into the secondary. The holes never materialize. Almost all great backs are patient runners, look for holes and then explode. LT doesn't have to wait, the holes just open up for him a lot because his blocking is so much better. It's rather remarkable that McGahee really never ever gets a large hole to run through. Ever. And it's not because he's dancing. he dances when he sees there is zero hole.

856573[/snapback]

some weeks he makes his own freaking holes, and yesterday he didn't even try...for some reason. i've seen him play hard behind crappy blocking plenty of times, but yesterday he refused to for some reason. the reason WHY is the key to deciding whether he needs to be replaced. maybe he's just a guy who needs to be in arizona?

Why don't they give Shaud Williams a few carries?  I see he's had 2 so far this season.

He may not be much, but he is a skill player on an NFL roster.  If he's active on a game day, why not give 'em a few plays, if only to give the opponents pause.

856794[/snapback]

He gives our offense pause.