Gruden is a jackass

eball

He probably didn't want any injuries or didn't want to be shut out.

856016[/snapback]

The first part of your response is idiotic (it's football), and the second is ridiculous (TB has already been shut out once this year). I can't imagine the TB players wanted to claim a "moral victory" of avoiding a shutout with a meaningless 27-yd FG. That's pathetic.

TB is down 20-0 and has a 4th down at the PIT 10 with 5 seconds to go.  He kicks a FG.

Is it me, or is that one of the lamest decisions a coach can make?

856013[/snapback]

I agree with you....it's a bit like hoping we lose games to get a better pick, the momentum from winning.....or in this case the experience of continuing to strive for victory regardless of the odds, is far more important IMO.

many coaches would go for a TD. the last thing on thier minds should be a shutout.

to simply kick a fg to prevent a shutout shows a coach who gave up, and started thinking about next week long before the game was over.

i lost a lot of respect for him.

if you ever read Gregg Easterbrook he loves bringing up these sort of scenarios and in his estimation he strongly believes it is a coach simply looking for a way to "look better" in defeat. If they don't convert the TD chances are they get shutout, so instead they take the figgie therefore nobody can claim they got shutout...

Just an FYI, I thought it was interesting.........

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/TB/9851812

Bucs' last-play FG first to stop shutout since '1933

NFL.com wire reports

PITTSBURGH (Dec. 5, 2006) -- At least the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came away from Pittsburgh with a little sliver of NFL history.

According to research by the Steelers, Matt Bryant 's 27-yard field goal that concluded Pittsburgh's 20-3 victory Dec. 3 was the first such game-ending kick to break up an NFL shutout in 73 years.

The Steelers franchise also was involved in the previous such game.

During Pittsburgh's first NFL season in 1933, Pirates kicker Christian "Mose" Kelsch kicked a 21-yard field goal on the final play to secure a 3-3 tie with the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field. The Steelers were known as the Pirates until 1940.

Bucs coach Jon Gruden said he kicked the meaningless field goal so rookie quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, who grew up in Pittsburgh, would come away with something positive from his first NFL game there.

Bucs coach Jon Gruden said he kicked the meaningless field goal so rookie quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, who grew up in Pittsburgh, would come away with something positive from his first NFL game there.

858913[/snapback]

Good for Chuckie. :) His press conferences are generally pretty funny.

858913[/snapback]

What would be positive about that? Did Gradkowski kick the FG?

:)

Or that he was unable to move the Bucs in scoring position until there was 5 seconds left in the game?

Good Job Brad...you helped us Score 3 points...

What would be positive about that? Did Gradkowski kick the FG?

Or that he was unable to move the Bucs in scoring position until there was 5 seconds left in the game?

Good Job Brad...you helped us Score 3 points...

858923[/snapback]

He would be positive his poor play was the fault of his coach and that he doesn't have a reason to be nearly as discouraged ;)