X-Mas Debate

Puhonix

When putting lights on the X-mas tree, do you start at the top or bottom of the tree?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. When putting lights on the X-mas tree, do you start at the top or bottom of the tree?

• Bottom

What if you run out of cord before the top?

Get a heavy gauge extension cord with outlet spots along the length of the cord... Then plug individual sets into the extension cord itself...

That is safer since you don't have to string sets together... Most manufacts suggest not going beyond three strands on on feed, this eliminates that hazard...

Like my post above says, you can then switch the main cord to an outlet, remote control box, or a touch ornament (separate wire needed) switch... Or what ever way you power the tree on/off...

:thumbdown:

854283[/snapback]

Well, yeah, I was thinking you keep plugging strings together as you go up but not more than 2-3 strings. I guess I don't put more than 2-3 strings on mine so I don't have to worry about a fire hazard. :thumbsup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct answer is "buy a pre-lit tree."  That's what we did a couple of years ago -- the thing has a ton of lights, looks awesome, and takes no time to put up (except for decorations)

CW

854403[/snapback]

My family hates fake trees but I like them. Easy to put up, look great, no needle mess to clean up.

I start at the bottom. Always have.

As for

Because it is thinner than at the bottom, good placement at the top is more important than at the bottom (because bad top placement really stands out)

depends on the height of the tree. I think you focus on eye level & below (the presents underneath are the important things :thumbdown: ). So if you have a tall tree, anything much above 6' is less important.

The correct answer is "buy a pre-lit tree."  That's what we did a couple of years ago -- the thing has a ton of lights, looks awesome, and takes no time to put up (except for decorations)

CW

854403[/snapback]

Find me a pre-lit, real tree, and I will buy that every year. But I'm not sure how popular that will be with the feral squirrels.

CW

854403[/snapback]

I always thought about it and opted out of this... Here is my reasoning: :P

What happens after the 4th, 5th or more Christmas with the same pre-lit tree and you begin to reach the life expectany of the said pre-lit light bulbs?

Seems it would be a royal pain in the butt to salvage the tree and troubleshoot the mutliple number of burned bulbs.

With strands of lights... You can just chuck the dud strands.

I know if one bulb goes out, they all don't... What happens when you get a series out because of a faulty connection?

Seems that would be a royal pain troubleshooting on a pre-lit tree and not a strand.

Again... I would rather 86 a strand than troubleshoot the whole tree...

Maybe they have them (pre-lit trees) set up... So as to facilitate fast light series replacement/troubleshooting?

My luck... I would let the problem fester too long and just say heck with the pre-lit and buy a new one... Maybe the tree companies want this?

:thumbdown::thumbsup:

from top to bottom...........even an idiot should know you do it that way

its thinner up there.....and ias u wrap you move down, and this leaves the plug in closer to the outlet.....

simple..............

854954[/snapback]

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

its thinner up there.....and ias u wrap you move down, and this leaves the plug in closer to the outlet.....

simple..............

854954[/snapback]

Plus, you got the whole male/female thingy to worry about. The tree Angel needs a female, ergo you start at the top and work your way down.

Plus, you got the whole male/female thingy to worry about.  The tree Angel needs a female, ergo you start at the top and work your way down.

856462[/snapback]

But if you start at the bottom of the tree, no matter when you end up, it will be at the top (That happens with points). But if you start at the top, you may not end up next to the wall socket after all.

Bottom. I don't get the arguments about not being able to make the top look right. If you are using the same lights you use every year, then consider this idea:

Rememeber how long the strand is so you have enough for the whole tree to look right.

I think the mental image of someone puting up their lights for the 13th year and ending up two feet short is hilarious. And if you don't have "old" or "unique" lights, then if you do run out, try this idea (it's multi-stepped):

1. Locate $4

2. Locate car keys

3. Locate K-Mart

4. Locate more lights

5. You can take it from here I think

Starting at the bottom is the only way you can ensure that the strand will end as the absolute closest point to the socket.

But if you start at the bottom of the tree, no matter when you end up, it will be at the top (That happens with points). But if you start at the top, you may not end up next to the wall socket after all.

856480[/snapback]

You have to be good at spacial representation. If you can't see the entire tree you don't stand a chance. You factor in the height of the tree, its girth and the number of strands you have and walla. Your mind's eye has already completed the job. It's a gift.

simple..............

854954[/snapback]

so what happens when you go top to bottom, and then have the end of the strand of lights in the middle of the front of the tree when the outlet is in back? buy an entire 50-ft strand to run the 10 feet around half the tree?

Start at the bottom and simply have the skill to end oyur strand at the top. i have done it for years without the tree looking like crap.

so what happens when you go top to bottom, and then have the end of the strand of lights in the middle of the front of the tree when the outlet is in back? buy an entire 50-ft strand to run the 10 feet around half the tree?

Start at the bottom and simply have the skill to end oyur strand at the top. i have done it for years without the tree looking like crap.

856653[/snapback]

50ft lights?!?!?! LOL dude you seriously need to hit up a walmart or something, you can gettem in 10ft kiddo

also, the bottom is closer to the outlet, turn your phuckin' tree around if its in the front, MY GOD! haha