JP Losman sure looks like another 7

Mikie2times

A recent post got me thinking about JP. How rare is it to have a guy with his athletic ability, who can also be a pocket passer. Few QB’s in NFL history come to mind. After these last two weeks one guy I started thinking about was John Elway. I wouldn’t categorize Elway as a pocket QB, but he could be a threat from the pocket like JP can. He was also about the same speed as JP coming out of Stanford. I did some research and compared Elway's first 25 starts with JP’s first 19 starts. I averaged it out so we could have comparable numbers to work with. They look nearly identical. Elway took a long time to develop, but I don't think Denver regrets sticking with him.

JP-------------------Elway

27.26 ATT--------25.56 ATT

16.68 COM-------13.48 COM

57.5%--------------52.7%

176 Yards---------170 Yards

.95 TD--------------1 TD

.84 INT-------------1.2 INT

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A recent post got me thinking about JP. How rare is it to have a guy with his athletic ability, who can also be a pocket passer. Few QB’s in NFL history come to mind. After these last two weeks one guy I started thinking about was John Elway. I wouldn’t categorize Elway as a pocket QB, but he could be a threat from the pocket like JP can. He was also about the same speed as JP coming out of Stanford. Simliar arm strength and work ethic.  I did some research and compared Elway's first 25 starts with JP’s first 19 starts. I averaged it out so we could have comparable numbers to work with. They look nearly identical. Elway took a long time to develop, but I don't think Denver regrets sticking with him. 

JP-------------------Elway           

27.26 ATT--------25.56 ATT

16.68 COM-------13.48 COM

57.5%--------------52.7%

176 Yards---------170 Yards

.95 TD--------------1 TD

.84 INT-------------1.2 INT

851715[/snapback]

God I hope your right. Elway was one hell of a QB and like someon else said if he does have some of the same abilities of him then he definately is a franchise QB.

Ah yes - this is the same discussion I've had with Holcomb's "Missing" Arm and JDG. Funny how we forget it takes TIME to adjust to the NFL.

851726[/snapback]

I guarantee his detractors will completely reroute this thread to arguing against JP becoming Elway. Not the most difficult thing to do considering Elway is one of the best of all time. The point is here are two guys, nearly the same size, same talent, similar personalities, developing at the same rate. We should not be concerned in anyway with the progress on one John Paul Josman.

Michael, setting the bar that high by comparing Losman with one of the 2-3 best QB's I've ever seen is not going to do him any good at all.

Can you go with somebody a little more mundane for the time being?-)

Michael, setting the bar that high by comparing Losman with one of the 2-3 best QB's I've ever seen is not going to do him any good at all.

Can you go with somebody a little more mundane for the time being?-)

851738[/snapback]

Elway completed over 60% of his passes in only 3 of his 16 seasons. The first TEN YEARS of his career, he threw 158 TDs and 157 interceptions. The last six years he had 132 TDs and 69 INTs.

Elway was one of the 2 or 3 best QBs I've ever seen, but only if we're talking about when the game is on the line. One of the reasons he had so many great comebacks is he tended to suck much of the first 3 quarters of games.

Elway completed over 60% of his passes in only 3 of his 16 seasons.  The first TEN YEARS of his career, he threw 158 TDs and 157 interceptions.  The last six years he had 132 TDs and 69 INTs.

Elway was one of the 2 or 3 best QBs I've ever seen, but only if we're talking about when the game is on the line.  One of the reasons he had so many great comebacks is he tended to suck much of the first 3 quarters of games.

851765[/snapback]

Facts suck.