One Very Nice Stat From This Game

Swift Sylvan

Another one?  How about NO sacks by the Jags' defense.

848479[/snapback]

Yep, that's been the biggest improvement the past few weeks. The OL is finally pass protecting well. I'd like to see them do a better job in the running game but I'll take the better pass protection for now.

The pass protection was impressive, I thought Pennington was going to struggle against McCray today. Kudos to him and his teammates.

848499[/snapback]

In his post-game remarks JP mentioned Pennington and Preston -- said the whole line is improving week by week. Called out Gandy as the leader and Peters as the star but said he was very impressed with Fowler, Pennington and Preston and their progress.

Said you can see their attitude changing--the start of the year they were walking from the huddle to the line and now they are jogging--they are setting the attitude for the whole offense.

Jacksonville was 1 for 11 for third down conversions

848477[/snapback]

I think this stat is a little misleading although its definitely better than the opposite. The D was giving up 10+ yards on first and second down pretty often. 2 of those failed third down conversions were 2 fourth down conversions, including that horrendous scramble by Gerard.

From the beginning of the second quarter to mid-fourth, the D was absolutely solid though. Too bad they couldn't close out the game when they had the chance but then we wouldn't have gotten to see the JP/Roscoe/Lindell heroics.

RTB

The pass protection was impressive, I thought Pennington was going to struggle against McCray today. Kudos to him and his teammates.

848499[/snapback]

NO NO NO.

JP has learned to see the field, and throw the ball away. :devil:

Not really a stat but a number. Rumour has it they threw 10 screen passes including 4 flanker and 2 tight enders. Me likey. No wonder the O-line seems improved.

848896[/snapback]

I was just thinking along those lines. The play calling has really gotten better the last 2 weeks. Along with those plays, you can add in a few deep throws to Evans to keep the safety's off the line; and just like that, things look better.

I also noticed that they threw at least a few times out of the i formation. Again, just adding some wrinkles to the offensive game plan to keep the defense off balance.