damned if Donahoe's screwups aren't

I can name a few Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Ted Washington, (and I guess Ruben Brown).

830365[/snapback]

Ted Washington & Sam Adams are certainly not examples of players who have gone "to another team and rip it up".....and your guess on Brown....doing OK after 11 games lost due to injury in two years is not exactly "ripping it up" either.

I'm not defending TD here in any way but....those players just do not fit the criteria stated.

Ted Washington & Sam Adams are certainly not examples of players who have gone "to another team and rip it up".....and your guess on Brown....doing OK after 11 games lost due to injury in two years is not exactly "ripping it up" either.

I'm not defending TD here in any way but....those players just do not fit the criteria stated.

830380[/snapback]

Sam Adams we cant judge yet ... Ted Washington on the other hand. Well lets just say he has a Super Bowl ring on his finger ... and dont kid yourself. Belichick himself can tell you Washington was a big part of that team.

I can name a few Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Ted Washington, (and I guess Ruben Brown).

830365[/snapback]

Hush. You know Ruben sucks, always sucked and will always suck. He should really be selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door.

At least that's what the membership here believes.

:doh:

He was a big part of this team until we let him go. :doh:

830393[/snapback]

Yes, but the year after he left we had the #3 D in the league(down from #1).

He was clearly(though still very good) on the downside of his career. He went to the Bears & had a good year followed by a season where he missed 14 games due to injury. Then he went to NE(as a last minute pickup from memory) where he missed another 6 games to injury. Ty Warren was drafted that year but was not coming on quick enough so NE picked up Big Ted. The next year he went to OAK where he anchored down the 30th ranked D in the league followed the next year with the 27th ranked D.

It's sad when players who have been good for us are let go.....but some times it ends up being the right decision....i.e. Eric Moulds.....Bruce Smith....etc, etc.

People we should have kept and allowed to retire a Buffalo Bill:

Ted Washington

Ruben Brown

Pat Williams

Bruce Smith

Aint it funny that they all play on the OL/DL....

:doh:

830439[/snapback]

These guys didn't...

Cookie Gilchrist

Amhad Rashad

Joe Cribbs

Bobby Chandler

Joe Ferguson

Bryce Paup

Andre Reed

Thurman Thomas

Antoine Winfield

See, it goes back further than the last 5 years.

Doesn't make me feel any better particularly, though.

These guys didn't...

Cookie Gilchrist

Amhad Rashad

Joe Cribbs

Bobby Chandler

Joe Ferguson

Bryce Paup

Andre Reed

Thurman Thomas

Antoine Winfield

See, it goes back further than the last 5 years.

Doesn't make me feel any better particularly, though.

830446[/snapback]

You left out Bruce Smith???

(And Daryle Lamonica, and Glenn Bass, etc.)

I guess the ones that disappoint me the most from that list are Gilchrist - who was in Lou Saban's 'dog house', Bobby Moore - for whom we got absolutely nothing when he went to the Vikings, and Bobby Chandler - whom I loved and could't bear to see in a Raiders uniform. Come to think of it, I felt the same about Daryle Lamonica.

BTW - I know we didn't keep him on thru the end of his career - that doesnt happen much in the current NFL (Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, etc.) - but at least Thurman did retire as a Buffalo Bill...

Thurman Thomas Retires As A Bill

Thurman Thomas: One of the Greatest Ever

You left out Bruce Smith???

(And Daryle Lamonica, and Glenn Bass, etc.)

I guess the ones that disappoint me the most from that list are Gilchrist - who was in Lou Saban's 'dog house', Bobby Moore - for whom we got absolutely nothing when he went to the Vikings, and Bobby Chandler - whom I loved and could't bear to see in a Raiders uniform.  Come to think of it, I felt the same about Daryle Lamonica.

BTW - I know we didn't keep him on thru the end of his career - that doesnt happen much in the current NFL (Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, etc.) - but at least Thurman did retire as a Buffalo Bill...

Thurman Thomas Retires As A Bill

Thurman Thomas: One of the Greatest Ever

830459[/snapback]

We could add Haven Moses, James Harris, and Ron Dole... :doh:

Actually the year after they let big Ted go we had one of the worst, if not the worst defenses in the NFL. Not the 3rd best. Remember 3-13? Remeber how Donahoe and GW wanted fit defensive tackles and made fun of Ted for being too fat? How'd that move work out? Well, great for big Ted!!!

thats because we like to give up quality FA's because we dont want to pay them what they think their worth ... then they go to another team and rip it up. Sound familiar to anyone this year?

830356[/snapback]

I disagree. The ONLY player in recent memory that we probably should have overpaid to keep was Pat Williams. Even then, we offered him a pretty substantial deal and he turned it down. Perhaps a close second is Justin Bannan, who, I think, was integral to our kick-return wedge.

Ted Washington has been beset by injuries since he left. Winfield was way too expensive and replaceable at half the price. Peerless stunk, as the Falcons learned in hindsight. Cowart hasn't been the same since he left. Is Marcellus Wiley even playing in the league anymore? People forget Ruben Brown has already missed a full season in Chicago--plus, when he was here, he clearly had some attitude issues with the staff (a change of scenery was probably good for both sides).

If Donahoe deserves some credit, I think it's in this regard--he wouldn't overpay for old free agents. Being a small market team, we don't have the luxury of breaking the bank on old (and thus risky) free agents who don't end up panning out (like the Redskins).

I disagree. The ONLY player in recent memory that we probably should have overpaid to keep was Pat Williams. Even then, we offered him a pretty substantial deal and he turned it down. Perhaps a close second is Justin Bannan, who, I think, was integral to our kick-return wedge. 

Ted Washington has been beset by injuries since he left. Winfield was way too expensive and replaceable at half the price. Peerless stunk, as the Falcons learned in hindsight. Cowart hasn't been the same since he left. Is Marcellus Wiley even playing in the league anymore? People forget Ruben Brown has already missed a full season in Chicago--plus, when he was here, he clearly had some attitude issues with the staff (a change of scenery was probably good for both sides).

If Donahoe deserves some credit, I think it's in this regard--he wouldn't overpay for old free agents.  Being a small market team, we don't have the luxury of breaking the bank on old (and thus risky) free agents who don't end up panning out (like the Redskins).

830510[/snapback]

Agree with you. The Bills are rebuiding. We might not like that, but that's the way it is. No sense in getting old vets on the downside of their careers just to win an extra game or two and still miss the playoffs. Bills aren't going to be winners this year or maybe even next year. Need to give these youngs guys more time and give the front office another off season or two to improve the roster.

thats because we like to give up quality FA's because we dont want to pay them what they think their worth ... then they go to another team and rip it up. Sound familiar to anyone this year?

830356[/snapback]

Fat Sam

TW

Jonas Jennings

Sam Cowart

Ruben Brown

Haven't exactly 'ripped it up' with their other team.

Winfield was always solid, but was completely unaffordable. Big Pat was one of my favorite all-time Bills and I think we can all agree that one was a mistake.

On the flip side of that coin-

I bet the Rams wish they still had Fletcher.

I bet the Bengals could've used the 2004 TKO. Nobody can predict injuries.

Preventing Schobel from going to FA was a good move.

Troy Vincent was a decent signing to replace Winfield, and 'ripped it up' by leading the Bills in picks.

Peters was a damn fine FA signing.

All other O-line Donahoe free agents have been a disaster.

Posey never 'ripped it up' but was adequate as a starter in a highly-rated defense. He started here, he would've started for Houston.