We are a sick bunch of fans...

Reed83HOF

The support that this team has from its fans is really amazing....its been what 14 yrs since we've been to the show, its been 7 yrs since the playoffs...we have had 4 HC's since Marv, umm...8 QBs, more RBs & WRs than I can count....We were the winningest team of the 90's...

What do we have to show for it this decade...disaster after disaster, but everyone still sticks with the team...offers their own opinions and thoughts as to what's wrong....no matter how bad we are....we approach the begining of each season with so much optimism, only to have it ripped out & stomped on half way through the season year after year....

Why do we keep coming back? What is it about this franchise that makes us so obsessed? Don't get me wrong...I am a Bills fan to the core and I don't see that ever changing....I was reading a bunch of the posts from the last few days and the passion and conviction that everyone agrues their points with is just amazing...all for a team that has been dreadful for awhile now....we are sick people...but I wouldn't have it any other way...I am a Yankee fan to the core as well, but they don't even come close to comparing to this team....

The support that this team has from its fans is really amazing....its been what 14 yrs since we've been to the show, its been 7 yrs since the playoffs...we have had 4 HC's since Marv, umm...8 QBs, more RBs & WRs than I can count....We were the winningest team of the 90's...

What do we have to show for it this decade...disaster after disaster, but everyone still sticks with the team...offers their own opinions and thoughts as to what's wrong....no matter how bad we are....we approach the begining of each season with so much optimism, only to have it ripped out & stomped on half way through the season year after year....

Why do we keep coming back? What is it about this franchise that makes us so obsessed? Don't get me wrong...I am a Bills fan to the core and I don't see that ever changing....I was reading a bunch of the posts from the last few days and the passion and conviction that everyone agrues their points with is just amazing...all for a team that has been dreadful for awhile now....we are sick people...but I wouldn't have it any other way...I am a Yankee fan to the core as well, but they don't even come close to comparing to this team....

821929[/snapback]

It really isn't that bad when you compare it to others.

What about Cardinals fans? or Lions Fans?

What about Cubs fans and up til a couple years ago Red Sox fans?

821944[/snapback]

Zactly. As an official TBD OF I can clearly remember the 1970s, and I have vague rememberences of the mid-late 60s Bills. You can't point 14 years down the road and think that we have it bad. If this chit continues for another 20-30 years then you (reed8383) may have something.

You, my friend are right!! I'm "here" typing on a Bills website with my Bills T-shirt on.... Sheer madness!! I'm EXACTLY LIKE YOU, the promise of that Super Bowl parade is too enticing to give up on the dream! I know I NEVER WILL!!! So here goes...GO BILLS!!

821929[/snapback]

Why do we keep coming back?

821929[/snapback]

Good question. For me, it's the optimism that I think we all get sucked into every year. We're desperate for a playoff berth.

What is it about this franchise that makes us so obsessed?

821929[/snapback]

Don't know how to answer that. I say.....actually I can't answer that. hmmmm...

821929[/snapback]

We don't have the quality coaching and the players we used to have. We don't bring in any big time players to help this team. Take Drew Brees for example. He's a big time player that was brought to the Saints to help out their team. And also to bring leadership and confidence to the team. Lokk at where they are now. I think he's the main reason why the team is doing so well.

The Bills just don't bring in players that have that kind of leadership. Yeah sure you can make the arguement for Spikes, Fletcher, and I guess McGahee, but we need a big time player who can bring CONFIDENCE to this team.

821944[/snapback]

There are no Cardinals fans. Detroit has won a lot in other sports.

Diehards of the Cubs & Sox had it bad, but for some reason it's different w/ them. It's like half their fans are people who grew up in Syracuse or some random place and decided it was cool to like the Red Sox. The media glorifies Carlton Fisk's Game 6 HR like it's one of the greatest plays ever in sports when they lost the series; and they pretend Buckner was the most disastrous play ever even the game was already tied at that point. This is why I hate the Red Sox. It's never been "cool" to be a Bills fan; and that's 1 of the things I love about being a Bills fan. Cleveland might be the only city that can relate.

821929[/snapback]

I am really surprised (honestly) that you have to ask this question, at least for us "old timers" here (I am 44)

The Bills represent BUFFALO. I am a BUFFALONIAN even though I now live in New "joisy")

What? Since the Bills continue to suck I can extricate myself from being a fan? Am I "obsessed" with the Bills? Maybe - THAT is where this thread should be going but at least understand that the Bills represent not just a team but a community. When they win, WE win, When they lose WE lose. Not being a Bills fan would be comparable to not being me.

Never gonna happen.

Does that make me a "loser"?

Before you answer know this: SIMPLY TELLING PEOPLE I COME FROM BUFFALO is usually enough to get a laugh from people. I simply smile and tell then to keep thinking that way. I plan to return HOME when I can and live amongst the greatest people on earth. Most of them, of course, Bills fans. The people that think Buffalo is a joke can go ahead and laugh and continue to live in their unfriendly, uncaring communities - at least compared to the community that is WNY. Those of us that live out of town, know exactly what I am talking about.

So go ahead and laugh......nothing new to me.

-RichNJoisy

Gotta admit my support is waning. I went on a drive through the Blue Ridge Parkway and Cherokee National Forest instead of watching the Pats game, and haven't really discussed the Bills much at all the past two weeks with my Buffalo expatriate friends. The Sabres are getting a lot of attention though. Further, I turned down an invitation to go to a Buffalo home game to go to Albany and visit my grandkids. I'm not listening to the football channel on Sirius very much when I'm driving. The Bills had better get to work, if even MY support is waning.

I was just trying to throw a different post out there...I am getting so sick of the we need this or that, or this person sucks we should be playing the bag boy from the local wegmans....

What's obvious and why everyone does obsess and love this team is that it represents the community, that us fans are always so loyal and passionate....liking the bills was never an "in" thing; most fans are true fans and always stick with this team...I have been following this team for like 20 yrs...seeing I'm 30 in january..

oh and I do feel the need to mention this...

the cardinals? the only cardinals that have ever done anything in pro sports...just won the world series...

The lions; they haven't been good since what the 50's?

Baseball is different...it just is....

Hockey is a tough one for me...I love the broadways blues (NYR)...I do root for the Sabres too and would say they are my #2 team

The point I was making with my post is that everyone is whining and crying here about the Bills and How bad they are and how the fans are suffering from years of losing seasons, yet there are teams in other sports that have been suffering longer. As bad as the Lions and Cardinals are, every year fans come out to watch their games with renewed optimisum that maybe this year will be different.

Bills fans have it rough now, but they don't have it the worst.

And what I don't understand is why fans of the Bills always have to downplay the Sabres. Why can't you like both equally? I am a huge Bills and a Huge Sabres fan, I cheer for Both and neither has to be a winner for me to stll support them. It just seems that they both have to fight each other over fans like you can only like on of them.

This is why I hate the Red Sox.  It's never been "cool" to be a Bills fan; and that's 1 of the things I love about being a Bills fan.  Cleveland might be the only city that can relate.

822680[/snapback]

Exactly. In Michigan it's down right cool to be a Wolverine fan right now. I'm sure it's that way in any area when the home team is doing well. You know, the type of fans that talk about how much they care, and when the team losses they don't give it a second thought. I never wanted anything to do with being cool in that regard. I live and die with the Bills who are probably the most uncool team in the NFL. I think being such dorks of the NFL actually unites our fan base and makes us more fanatical.

I am really surprised (honestly) that you have to ask this question, at least for us "old timers" here (I am 44)

The Bills represent BUFFALO. I am a BUFFALONIAN even though I now live in New "joisy")

What? Since the Bills continue to suck I can extricate myself from being a fan? Am I "obsessed" with the Bills? Maybe - THAT is where this thread should be going but at least understand that the Bills represent not just a team but a community. When they win, WE win, When they lose WE lose. Not being a Bills fan would be comparable to not being me.

Never gonna happen.

Before you answer know this: SIMPLY TELLING PEOPLE I COME FROM BUFFALO is usually enough to get a laugh from people. I simply smile and tell then to keep thinking that way. I plan to return HOME when I can and live amongst the greatest people on earth. Most of them, of course, Bills fans. The people that think Buffalo is a joke can go ahead and laugh and continue to live in their unfriendly, uncaring communities - at least compared to the community that is WNY. Those of us that live out of town, know exactly what I am talking about.

-RichNJoisy

822830[/snapback]

ya dude i tell kids at my school im a bills fan and they laugh and my face ( most of them are dolphins fans so im getting a good laugh from that at least) but hey when game day rolls around you cant find anybetter fans in the world. i think so at least

Never gonna happen.

-RichNJoisy

822830[/snapback]

This is the best response so far.

I'm a fellow old timer, I am not originally from Buffalo, but I went to college in WNY & then lived in or around Buffalo a few years after college.

Once I started going to games I had an allegiance to the team.

Even though I now live over 290 miles away, I go to just about every game (I'll miss my 1st home game since 1990 this 12/24).

Unlike fans who pick & choose their team watching games on TV, I have no choice to stick with the Bills, since for better or worse, I've been a fan over 30 years.

Where I currently live, most of the people are what I call "TV fans". If their team starts to go through bad times, all they have to do is change the channel & presto-new favorite team! Every team I root for (Bills, Yankees, Mets, Nets) have been located in an area I've lived in & I have seen them in their own stadium or arena. I can never be a tv fan.

During the Super Bowl years, I felt that team was my just reward for all the prior years of lousy football I endured. I went to all 4 Super Bowls and I felt I deserved to go to each of them.

When the Bills make it back to the top, these years will make it that much sweeter.