Opening line Bills -3.5

BuffOrange

I have to say, I love the Bills in this game. As is so often the case in the NFL, neither team is as good/bad as they've looked in the last 2-3 games. GB is playing better now, but the Bills looked to be clearly a better team in the 1st month. On a neutral field it's close, so the line doesn't look too off.

But coming off a bye, at home against a week NFC team when everyone in Western NY is about to jump off a cliff and/or hoping for a loss and a top draft pick is pretty much the prototypical game where the Bills play well, get a few turnovers, and control the clock. The Redskins game in 2003 when Henry ran wild and the Rams game in 2004 were the same way (I distinctly remember people asking: "Why are we favored in this game? I'm betting everything on the Rams"). I thought "lol, yeah bet on the Rams on the road - that always works out well". Shockingly this annual game was missing from last year, though it really should've been the Atlanta game if JP wasn't so green. Favre is also due for one of those brutal road games that we've all come to know & love. I predict Clements will actually get his head out of his ass with a pick or two.

So for only the 2nd time this year (the first being that I loved the Lions +2 a couple weeks ago) I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen ATS in a Bills game this year. Thoughts?

you forgot to mention that there probably will be about 20,000 packer fans there. That will take away any kind of home field advantage we have. I know I just sold my 4 tickets on ebay for $100 a piece. Gotta love those cheeseheads, willing to pay double face value for the right to go see 2 of the 6 worst teams in the league battle it out sunday afternoon.

I have no idea what to make of that line. Typically, spreads in the 3.5 to 5-point range are Vegas' way of saying, "Yeah, um, we really have no clue what's going to happen either."

I have been getting my ass kicked by the book this year in the NFL. Thank God for NCAA just keeping me afloat. I win a nice chunk on Saturday and then give it all back on Sunday. My theory is that every NFL team sucks. The hard part is figuring out who is going to suck less that week.

Sounds like the oddsmakers are thinking the teams are pretty even right now, since the home team is usually favored by 3 by default.

Keep in mind that Green Bay has just beaten the likes of Miami and Arizona, neither of which are good teams. One can say they're playing well, but given the competition.....

I'm not sure who I'd pick right now, to be honest.

My theory is that every NFL team sucks.  The hard part is figuring out who is going to suck less that week.

820263[/snapback]

I agree. Yesterday I had Philly and Carolina. Putrid. On Saturday, I had Marshall, Northwestern & Wake Forest. Wake missed covering by a 1 point, but the other two were solid. I can't remember a year where it was easier to pick college than pro.

What does scare me is that the Packers' OL is improving. Favre was mostly untouched yesterday, and the Packers had two different backs that topped the 100-yard mark.

If the Bills can shut down their running game, I'm not sure that we have much to fear in the way of Favre picking us apart, given that 3 of his 4 top receivers will be sidelined -- and that 4th receiver (Driver) got banged up a bit yesterday too.

Considering Green Bay can put up points with their offense, we need to be able to put up 24 pts or more to have a chance to win. Can our offense do that, i don't think so. We have put up like 13 points in the last two games, so. I am waiting for my bet to clear tonight when the Pats beat the Vikes. Provided that bet clears I will parlay it onto the Packers. The Oddsmakers are giving us too much credit at home. We suck as an offense plain and simple.

I agree.  Yesterday I had Philly and Carolina.  Putrid.  On Saturday, I had Marshall, Northwestern & Wake Forest.  Wake missed covering by a 1 point, but the other two were solid.  I can't remember a year where it was easier to pick college than pro.

820326[/snapback]

I loved that Wake game early in the week but then forgot to jump on it on Saturday. I thought they would've covered easy. I had Notre Dame -13, Boston College -32.5, Georgia Tech -5, and Washington St +2. All winners, with the heavies being ND and GT.

I lost two light bets- Wisconsin -22 almost lost outright to Illinois, and I took Missouri -1 over Oklahoma. I didn't love the Wisconsin line, but I've been riding them hard every week so I decided to stick with them.

Yesterday I lost Saints, Rams, and Carolina. Gotta be Pats -1 tonight, right???

Yesterday I lost Saints, Rams, and Carolina. Gotta be Pats -1 tonight, right???

Of course. I use the Pats almost every week in my teasers. I believe in betting QBs like starting pitchers in baseball, and no one is better than Brady. Last week, Chicago, NE and GB was the tease.

Not sure yet about this week but I'm leaning toward the Bears, Chargers and either Atlanta or NY Giants. We'll see.

Chargers definately for the two suicide pools I'm in.

Of course.  I use the Pats almost every week in my teasers.  I believe in betting QBs like starting pitchers in baseball, and no one is better than Brady.  Last week, Chicago, NE and GB was the tease.

Not sure yet about this week but I'm leaning toward the Bears, Chargers and either Atlanta or NY Giants.  We'll see.

Chargers definately for the two suicide pools I'm in.

821197[/snapback]

I hammered on the Pats last night, got them at -2. The only thing that made me nervous was why it wasn't -5 or -6. I thought there was something I wasn't seeing. My only thought was, "the Bills beat the Vikings. They can't be that good."

I also took a lite play on the Under 40.5, and I would like to extend a special thank you to both teams, who decided it wasn't necessary to score for the last 10 minutes. Cha-ching!

How you doing on your teasers bills fan? I don't play them often but I think I'm 2-2 this year. One of them was Bills-Pats in week 1, teased Buff to +16 and teased the over down to 35. With the 19-17 final, I barely made that over! I heard a stat that only ~30% of teasers end up winning- that's why I ask how you're doing. The guy I use only allows 6-point teases, and you if there's a half-point, you lose it (so Bills plus 10.5 becomes Bills +16, not 16.5). Obviously, pushes lose.

My guy allows a straight 10 on the 3 gamer. You get the 1/2. I've lost 1 3 gamer and bet the 3 game every week of the season. I've been doing it for xtra cash since college.

Basically, I look for good home teams with big point spreads, tease them down as close as I can to pick em. If I have to take a roadie I will, but I prefer home teams. I stay away from "Game of the Week" hype and always go for any game that I perceive could be a blowout. I also try and avoid division games if possible, too much familiarity there.

I tend to stay away from teasing the O/U, but will on occasion if I can't find a 3rd game I like and there is a great defensive matchup. In that case I'll usually tease the O/U down and take the O.

My guy allows a straight 10 on the 3 gamer. You get the 1/2.  I've lost 1 3 gamer and bet the 3 game every week of the season.  I've been doing it for xtra cash since college.

Basically, I look for good home teams with big point spreads, tease them down as close as I can to pick em.  If I have to take a roadie I will, but I prefer home teams.  I stay away from "Game of the Week" hype and always go for any game that I perceive could be a blowout.  I also try and avoid division games if possible, too much familiarity there.

I tend to stay away from teasing the O/U, but will on occasion if I can't find a 3rd game I like and there is a great defensive matchup.  In that case I'll usually tease the O/U down and take the O.

821259[/snapback]

What about two-teamers, does he do 6? I've never asked my guy about the three team. I hate losing that half-point.

I have to say, I love the Bills in this game.  As is so often the case in the NFL, neither team is as good/bad as they've looked in the last 2-3 games. GB is playing better now, but the Bills looked to be clearly a better team in the 1st month.  On a neutral field it's close, so the line doesn't look too off.

But coming off a bye, at home against a week NFC team when everyone in Western NY is about to jump off a cliff and/or hoping for a loss and a top draft pick is pretty much the prototypical game where the Bills play well, get a few turnovers, and control the clock.  The Redskins game in 2003 when Henry ran wild and the Rams game in 2004 were the same way (I distinctly remember people asking: "Why are we favored in this game?  I'm betting everything on the Rams").  I thought "lol, yeah bet on the Rams on the road - that always works out well".  Shockingly this annual game was missing from last year, though it really should've been the Atlanta game if JP wasn't so green.  Favre is also due for one of those brutal road games that we've all come to know & love.  I predict Clements will actually get his head out of his ass with a pick or two.

So for only the 2nd time this year (the first being that I loved the Lions +2 a couple weeks ago) I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen ATS in a Bills game this year.  Thoughts?

820025[/snapback]

We will regret this win come draft day

Yesterday I lost Saints, Rams, and Carolina.  Gotta be Pats -1 tonight, right???

820427[/snapback]

I lost on the Saints last week too. The other two - ugh - the Rams are notoriously bad on the road and the Panthers are notoriously bad as a home favorite.

I've been picking 4 games per week: 20-12 so far this year.

Bob Mathews' Friday column always cracks me up - the guy is the ultimate square. The biggest favorite on the board is his "best bet" every single week.

I lost on the Saints last week too.  The other two - ugh - the Rams are notoriously bad on the road and the Panthers are notoriously bad as a home favorite.

821558[/snapback]

Rams +11.5? Against Martyball? Had to make the Chargers earn it. Unfortunately they did.