Tiki Strikes Back

bartshan-83

What irks me about all of this is that Tiki gets criticized just for saying he'll probably retire, when it was probably dragged out of him. It's not as if he called a press conference to announce it or anything.

I can usually respect Tom Jackson's opinion, but I think he's wrong about this one. I usually never listen to Michael Irvin, anyway.

And why is it that ESPN allowed Irvin to give his story about the arrest last year on Sportscenter while Harold Reynolds was told to take a hike without a word?

And why is it that ESPN allowed Irvin to give his story about the arrest last year on Sportscenter while Harold Reynolds was told to take a hike without a word?

818416[/snapback]

Irvin is important to ESPN in reaching the 'thug' demographic. Reynolds was too nice a guy and besides, he was only a baseball commentator after all...

From everything I have heard/read about this Tiki topic, he told his teammates and coaches before training camp (and some of his teammates at the end of last season) that 2006 would be his final season in the NFL.  They have known about it for months...this is hardly like the Barry Sanders situation.

818310[/snapback]

I saw an interview with TB for the first time the other day. I thought to myself....."Myself" I said....."What an incredibly articulate, intelligent, measured, thoughtful & peaceful man he seems". I was actually quite astounded at how cerebral he came across.

If what you say is true.....& based on the brief glimpse of his personality I had.....I am not surprised at all. Irrelevant of playing talent, he seemed the type of player that I would be elated if he was a Bill(no knock on WM intended).

Good for Barber.  I remember last Monday Night I believe it was Jackson who compared it to when Sanders Retired, and all I thought was Jackson should shut up.  Barber at least has enough respect to announce it now rather then leaving his team clueless about what his plans are. Tiki is a class guy all the way,  as well as a great rb who won't let his decision become a distraction to the g mens season.

818203[/snapback]

He should have been compared more to Robert Smith...who walked away after his final contract to study for medicine....Classy guy. I think he is on radio or TV somewhere now a days (probably NFL Network).

818416[/snapback]

I'm assuming ESPN is already facing possible litigation concerning the sexual harassment case. How idiotic would they have to be to give Reynolds a platform to make his case? This all comes down to money, as pretty much everything tends to.

If it's a distraction it's only because the dipschit sports media will flog it to death.

818327[/snapback]

Ding, ding, ding.

Being a high-profile player from a NYC team doesn't hurt either. If it was Edge saying the same thing, it'd get 2" of type at the bottom of ESPN's "NFL Insider" page.

Anyway, Tiki's gonna make more money in broadcasting than he ever did as a player...

I'm assuming ESPN is already facing possible litigation concerning the sexual harassment case.  How idiotic would they have to be to give Reynolds a platform to make his case?  This all comes down to money, as pretty much everything tends to.

818445[/snapback]

OK...I'll eat a little bit of crow on this one.

Since it's likely to be ESPN v. Harold Reynolds, there's no point in letting him plead his case on the network against which he's filing the suit.

Nonetheless, they still let Irvin defend himself on the air while the possession charge was still pending a year or so ago. That's unprecedented in my mind. Usually, stuff like that should be kept internal, since it's dealing with a legal issue. I'm sure Irvin's and ESPN's lawyers allowed only certain questions loaded in a specific direction to make Irvin look better.

This was posted on ESPN earlier today, but I haven't heard any mention here.  Tiki Barber fired back HARSHLY at specific members of the media who have criticized him for his recent retirement talk.

Specifically named Gary Meyers (NY Daily News), Tom Jackson and our favorite coke-addled, word butchering, crack-pipe-in-my-car-but-it-wasn't-mine ESPN jackass, Michael Irvin.

Barber made some great points and I look forward to him ripping the likes of Irvin to shreads if/when he decides to become a broadcaster or analyst.

GET EM Tiki

818192[/snapback]

LOL--..'word butchering' is a bit too kind..

He should have been compared more to Robert Smith...who walked away after his final contract to study for medicine....Classy guy.  I think he is on radio or TV somewhere now a days (probably NFL Network).

818432[/snapback]

Robert Smith also put Jim Brown the wife beater in his place once on national TV--it was great.I can't remember which show.