Tiki Strikes Back

bartshan-83

This was posted on ESPN earlier today, but I haven't heard any mention here. Tiki Barber fired back HARSHLY at specific members of the media who have criticized him for his recent retirement talk.

Specifically named Gary Meyers (NY Daily News), Tom Jackson and our favorite coke-addled, word butchering, crack-pipe-in-my-car-but-it-wasn't-mine ESPN jackass, Michael Irvin.

Barber made some great points and I look forward to him ripping the likes of Irvin to shreads if/when he decides to become a broadcaster or analyst.

GET EM Tiki

Good for Barber. I remember last Monday Night I believe it was Jackson who compared it to when Sanders Retired, and all I thought was Jackson should shut up. Barber at least has enough respect to announce it now rather then leaving his team clueless about what his plans are. Tiki is a class guy all the way, as well as a great rb who won't let his decision become a distraction to the g mens season.

Good for Barber.  I remember last Monday Night I believe it was Jackson who compared it to when Sanders Retired, and all I thought was Jackson should shut up.  Barber at least has enough respect to announce it now rather then leaving his team clueless about what his plans are. Tiki is a class guy all the way,  as well as a great rb who won't let his decision become a distraction to the g mens season.

818203[/snapback]

Thats the luxury you have when your (arguably) the best RB of all time (barry Sanders).

My wife went to school with Tiki at UVA, he is a stand up guy that has the right to do whatever he damn well please. The only bummer is that he is my keeper in my fantasy league. Time to get a new keeper.

The word from the War Department (wife) is that he really wants to spend time with his two children. Plus, he is way more freakin intelligent than the mofo's that say he is a distraction. He didn't quit yet, he is done at the end of the season when the whole freakin team is done!!

Go Tiki, wish you were on our team.

TJ on WFAN

I have to side with Jackson on this one.  STFU Tiki

818240[/snapback]

Your link wouldn't open for me...but how can you agree with Jackson? He claims Tiki has caused a big distraction for the team.

Results: Giants' players say the exact opposite and the first game they play after the "great distracting news" is a MNF blowout of a division rival away from home.

Yup, sure looks like they can't keep their heads in the game. :lol:

Your link wouldn't open for me...but how can you agree with Jackson?  He claims Tiki has caused a big distraction for the team.

Results:  Giants' players say the exact opposite and the first game they play after the "great distracting news" is a MNF blowout of a division rival away from home.

Yup, sure looks like they can't keep their heads in the game. :lol:

818248[/snapback]

So your take on this would be different if the Giants had lost Monday night? That seems pretty silly to me. Jackson said what he said before the game and apparantly his opinion was wrong. Oh well - as if that doesn't happen every week on every pregame show.

So your take on this would be different if the Giants had lost Monday night?  That seems pretty silly to me.  Jackson said what he said before the game and apparantly his opinion was wrong.  Oh well - as if that doesn't happen every week on every pregame show.

818252[/snapback]

What? It sounds like you are agreeing with me. Correct, Jackson was WRONG.

The Giants were supposed to be distracted and instead they came out and dominated. If they had sucked, maybe I'd believe they were distracted.

Plus the players dispute Jackson's claim. I just talked to one a minute ago:

drShanahan: Tuck...whattup son?

drShanahan: yo is that Tiki sh-- really a distraction or are those fools at ESPN talking sh--?

drShanahan: be real

JLT*******44: Talking sh--

JLT*******44: Did it look like a distraction monday nite?

What?  It sounds like you are agreeing with me.  Correct, Jackson was WRONG.

The Giants were supposed to be distracted and instead they came out and dominated.  If they had sucked, maybe I'd believe they were distracted.

818266[/snapback]

So yeah, you're missing the point completely. If you want to use the results-oriented: "that playcall sucked because it didn't work" logic, whatever....that's not really what this is about. His opinion being right or wrong has nothing to do with his right to say it.

It was fair for Tiki to call those guys out and they ARE idiots for not interviewing anyone on the Giants before assuming a distraction. At the same time, once Tiki becomes one of the talking heads, he's going to find himself having pressure to fill airtime and column space with opinions. Here's hoping he's not hypocritical and turns out to be like these dumbarses.

From everything I have heard/read about this Tiki topic, he told his teammates and coaches before training camp (and some of his teammates at the end of last season) that 2006 would be his final season in the NFL. They have known about it for months...this is hardly like the Barry Sanders situation.

If it's a distraction it's only because the dipschit sports media will flog it to death. They need content for their 24/7 news cycles and just like the news media they will take some story and blow it way out of proportion in an attempt to get ratings. F the media.

Tiki Barber has always been a class individual since his days at UVA and deserves to go out the way he wants. Plus you gotta love the little dig at Michael Irvin...

So yeah, you're missing the point completely.  If you want to use the results-oriented: "that playcall sucked because it didn't work" logic, whatever....that's not really what this is about.  His opinion being right or wrong has nothing to do with his right to say it.

818272[/snapback]

:lol: You're arguing right to say it? Well no sht, he could also say that Tiki was the worst running back the Giants have ever had or Oakland has a good shot of winning the AFC.

You're original post was:

I have to side with Jackson on this one. STFU Tiki

To me, that has nothing to do with his right to say it, you were agreeing with him. And it was an ignorant and irresponsible thing to say. And, as we all know, it was wrong.

You're original post was:  I have to side with Jackson on this one.  STFU Tiki

To me, that has nothing to do with his right to say it, you were agreeing with him. 

818346[/snapback]

Umm, no. I'm not phsyically my original post but that was part of my original post. I posted a link because I thought he did a decent job of defending himself; check out www.wfan.com.

At the same time, once Tiki becomes one of the talking heads, he's going to find himself having pressure to fill airtime and column space with opinions.  Here's hoping he's not hypocritical and turns out to be like these dumbarses.

818285[/snapback]

That's the thing - it's already too late for that.